ridiculous, 5 year too early question | The Boneyard

ridiculous, 5 year too early question

Reaction Score
With Saylor playing some games, can she break the UConn record for most games played, most games won, etc. All depends on who goes WNBA when for us, Maybe Paige stays for a 5th year to play with Azzi. Yeah, I know, in my dreams. Also for NCAA records will depend on who stays for 5th playing year at what college. Has to be someone good, worth a scholarship, but not good enough for WNBA. Maybe we will need tons of asterisks.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
With Saylor playing some games, can she break the UConn record for most games played, most games won, etc. All depends on who goes WNBA when for us, Maybe Paige stays for a 5th year to play with Azzi. Yeah, I know, in my dreams. Also for NCAA records will depend on who stays for 5th playing year at what college. Has to be someone good, worth a scholarship, but not good enough for WNBA. Maybe we will need tons of asterisks.
Makurat, Griffin, Edwards or McClean are more likely since they'll have played in a full 5th season compared to Saylor playing in fewer games this season. I think some of those players may jump and go pro after 4 but only Edwards projects as a likely strong pick at this point right now. Bueckers is the biggest threat on paper to crush record books but I dont see her staying 5 years. The big question in a year and a half will be if she stays a full 4 or not.

Nationally, players who could break Kalana Greene's record next year include Destiny Slocum, Didi Richards, Moon Ursin and Erin Boley if they come back for a 5th (or 6th) year of school. Im sure there are others who I'm missing, but those are 3 who have played for strong teams and are 4 year contributors but not optimal pro prospects.

Reaction Score
A lot can happen in the next four years..its really hard to speculate..only thing I'm sure is there will be flying cars by then and all restaurants will be Taco Bell.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The relaxed rules related to the pandemic likely will knock Kalana Greene out of the NCAA record books. She played in 157 games, the most of anyone. I think MoJeff and one of her teammates played in 155. Maya played in 154. K-Bear played in 4+ seasons.

Reaction Score
Records don't matter unless the player is outstanding. Easy to skip over names on the lists.
Don't forget you youngsters, there was a long history in which freshmen were not eligible. Kareem had to play on the freshman team. Lore has it that his freshman team at UCLA kicked the varsity's butt routinely.
Here's that name again- Pete Maravich still top men's scorer of all time. He did it in 83 games. Avg 44.2 ppg.
The Big O still pretty high on the list, 88 games. Larry Bird 94 games, Elvin Hayes 93 games. Throw out the 5 or 6 smaller school guys and there you have 4 of the top 10 scorers of all time, only playing 3 years.

Reaction Score
This was actually came up in one of Debbie Antonelli's nothing but net conversations with I believe by Monica Nutt. It will be interesting if the NCAA considers this for the record keeping. It does warrant further discussion, maybe just not here.

Reaction Score
Makurat, Griffin, Edwards or McClean are more likely since they'll have played in a full 5th season compared to Saylor playing in fewer games this season. I think some of those players may jump and go pro after 4 but only Edwards projects as a likely strong pick at this point right now. Bueckers is the biggest threat on paper to crush record books but I dont see her staying 5 years. The big question in a year and a half will be if she stays a full 4 or not.

Nationally, players who could break Kalana Greene's record next year include Destiny Slocum, Didi Richards, Moon Ursin and Erin Boley if they come back for a 5th (or 6th) year of school. Im sure there are others who I'm missing, but those are 3 who have played for strong teams and are 4 year contributors but not optimal pro prospects.
Paige will play the full four. She's enjoying herself, and will keep enjoying herself, to leave early. Is she old enough to leave early?

Reaction Score
Paige will play the full four. She's enjoying herself, and will keep enjoying herself, to leave early. Is she old enough to leave early?
Yes and she'll be gone after 3 for sure. Enjoy it while she's here.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I would say it's a bit early to make a declaration like that considering no one knows how she'll feel in 2 years, and she hasn't said anything publicly herself. She'll be eligible for the 2023 WNBA draft if she decides to leave college after her third year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I don't think she'll spend all that effort to play with her best friend just to ditch her.
They're projected to play together for at least 2 years even if Paige left early.

If Paige does stay for the 2023-24 season, she could be passing up well over a million dollars in potential earnings when you consider her massive social media following, endorsement potential, WNBA salary, and overseas salary. You only get one college experience, so she absolutely could stay for her full four (or potentially five) years, but there's a lot more at stake for her earnings wise than there is for most players.

Another big thing to keep an eye on is if the NCAA decides to allow athletes to profit off their social media. If they are allowed to, then she'd be able to still rake in IG money while suiting up for Geno. Also worth noting, players are using instagram this season which I don't think they have been allowed to use previously. I'm not sure if it's a one season deal due to covid/lockdown, or if it's Geno relaxing his policy going forward.

Reaction Score
Another big thing to keep an eye on is if the NCAA decides to allow athletes to profit off their social media. If they are allowed to, then she'd be able to still rake in IG money while suiting up for Geno. Also worth noting, players are using instagram this season which I don't think they have been allowed to use previously. I'm not sure if it's a one season deal due to covid/lockdown, or if it's Geno relaxing his policy going forward.
They have used IG in past seasons - believe the in-season social media ban is just for Twitter.

In any case, with the NIL $$ opportunity coming soon for college athletes, not allowing IG would probably be a deal-breaker for someone like Paige or Hailey Van Lith (who has more IG followers than Paige - 658,000 vs. 628,000).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom