Ricky Moore is now a high school coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ricky Moore is now a high school coach

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
North Carolina. I hope he kills it.

Not sure about this though: "the 1999 College basketball player of the year" ? (For about 10 minutes on March 29, 1999, yes.)
According to Jake Weingartens awards
He’s planning on releasing the full list of awards for 1999 any day now

Reaction Score
Will listen later, but can anyone summarize? Always wondered why no college coaching gig for Ricky post UConn.
Talks about his current gig in high school coaching, does not go into detail on issues preventing him from being college coach although alludes to people behind the scenes making it difficult for him to land a job.

Talks about current and past UConn players he recruited such as Whaley, Carlton, and Alterique. Says he is not on bad terms with UConn and hopes to come up to a game soon (says he didn't attend 1999 team ceremony a couple years ago for reasons not specific to UConn).

Goes into some detail what he has been up to the last 3 years.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
According to Jake Weingartens awards
He’s planning on releasing the full list of awards for 1999 any day now
nGMrD.gif

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Mine too. Although he later slipped into a tie with Mek. Even now I can call up mental images of Ricky doing Ricky stuff. And no-one will ever convince me we would have won the 99 championship game without Ricky.
I'd even go a bit further and say he is the reason UConn won that game. The team did great. Individuals were wonderful. However, Ricky's first half scoring was completely unexpected by the Dookies. He was supposed to be our big defensive weapon, yet here he was shooting like crazy – and they were going in. It wasn't what anyone expected. Duke had a hard time adjusting – and then they had that additional scoring threat to defend for the rest of the game. That game was a thrill to watch. Great game plan. Great execution. Great win.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'd even go a bit further and say he is the reason UConn won that game. The team did great. Individuals were wonderful. However, Ricky's first half scoring was completely unexpected by the Dookies. He was supposed to be our big defensive weapon, yet here he was shooting like crazy – and they were going in. It wasn't what anyone expected. Duke had a hard time adjusting – and then they had that additional scoring threat to defend for the rest of the game. That game was a thrill to watch. Great game plan. Great execution. Great win.
Ricky scoring per se wasn't part of the game plan. What was, was taking the ball to the rack often and early, then take advantage of the open threes that would result when K adjusted. But no-one was driving hard to the hoop. Ricky took it upon himself to right the ship and get the team back on the gameplan. He was magnificent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Talks about his current gig in high school coaching, does not go into detail on issues preventing him from being college coach although alludes to people behind the scenes making it difficult for him to land a job.

Talks about current and past UConn players he recruited such as Whaley, Carlton, and Alterique. Says he is not on bad terms with UConn and hopes to come up to a game soon (says he didn't attend 1999 team ceremony a couple years ago for reasons not specific to UConn).

Goes into some detail what he has been up to the last 3 years.
Thanks. Just listened, it was interesting.

FWIW, I always told my kids "a lot of life happens in the margins" and, if I understand him correctly, I think that is what is happening here. I hope it all works out for him. I always appreciated his outstanding effort his senior year. His defense was otherworldly.

Reaction Score
Chief wishes Ricky nothing but the best. Always was a class act when he was around. Chief enjoyed spending time with his dad in St Petersburg, great guy too. He said before the game that Ricky and the team were locked in and he was 100% correct.

Last edited:

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Thank you for posting interesting listen for sure. Great guy and seemingly fighting some BS that he doesn't deserve. Just like the player he was I expect his fight back to coach collegiately to be a success but in the meantime I hope these NC HS kids understand how lucky they are to have him as their mentor, teacher for as long as it lasts they are a lucky group of young men.

Relative to fighting the BS he doesn't deserve, he basically says another coach on the staff ran the bus over him. I didn't sense any animosity in his tone when referring to KO or Killings. I don't recall -- were there rumblings of Miller or some other staff member implicating Ricky in wrong-doing? Miller and Ollie certainly had a falling out...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom