Rick Pitino's end? | The Boneyard

Rick Pitino's end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN is reporting that this maybe the last season at Louisville.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-pitino-needs-some-decide-run-louisville-over

Basically, the report notes that "...in other words, Louisville could be facing heavier sanctions in the not-too-distant future"

Not a fan of his to say the least; but, him leaving Louisville and Louisville potentially facing NCAA sanctions (believe it when I see it)would shake things-up a lot in terms of the coaching carousel, recruiting, etc. as Louisville for better or worse is one of the top NCAA college basketball programs Thoughts?

Of course, Petino is still in full denial mode and he probably should look for support from a coach who did not just come off a 9 game suspension himself in Boeheim.

"On the second case, Pitino said, "Fortunately I'm innocent of all wrongdoing, I run a clean program, and I go overboard on being compliant. And unfortunately this happened because of a young man who I gave a break to every step along the way in life. That being said, I can understand anybody's opinion when it first broke that, how could nobody know? How it happened I'll never know, but it's a part of my life and something I have to live with. When all is said and done, everybody will see how I run a program."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not a fan of his to say the least; but, him leaving Louisville and Louisville potentially facing NCAA sanctions (believe it when I see it)would shake things-up a lot in terms of the coaching carousel, recruiting, etc. as Louisville for better or worse is one of the top NCAA college basketball programs Thoughts?

This might torch Louisville as a program. Especially given that instate UK is so dominant. Would be yet another ex BE albatross in the ACC basketball.

The reason I can see harsher sanctions coming for Louisville is the NCAA's PR problem. While I think the UNC situation is far worse, shockingly, in the minds of the public, a 'prostitution' scandal is a more egregious offense. The country's puritanical undercurrent vis a vis sex is still present in 2016.

"On the second case, Pitino said, "Fortunately I'm innocent of all wrongdoing, I run a clean program, and I go overboard on being compliant. And unfortunately this happened because of a young man who I gave a break to every step along the way in life.

This is amazing btw.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I also wonder how long Callipari will remain at uk. He typically gets cold feet as things are catching up to him. These guys are not getting any younger either.

Reaction Score
This might torch Louisville as a program. Especially given that instate UK is so dominant. Would be yet another ex BE albatross in the ACC vis a vis basketball.

Even if Petino leaves and the NCAA actually does something to Lousiville, I expect them to be down for only a few years. The program just makes too much money to stay down for long. Remember Alabama football for a years under Shula? That said, if Petino leaves, the NCAA hits AND the agency that runs the Yum Center goes bankrupt forcing Louisville to take over the management of the area, including its operating costs and debt service, then Louisville would be in real trouble as it will be in a hole and will not have the money to immediately get out of that hole.

Rumors surrounding the potential bankruptcy of the Yum Center management agency have been floating around since 2012. Last I head, the agency is something like $800 million in debt and the Cardinals, which are the arena's primary tenant, keep almost all of the game day revenues (tickets, concessions) and only have to pay for game-day costs (security, staff) and contribute nothing to the overall operating expenses nor the debt service. That deal partially explains how the university is far and away the most profitable college program ($24 million in profit off of $40 million in revenue in 2014/5) versus a program like Kentucky that only had $7 million in profit. Taking on the full cost of the Yum Center would cut their profit in at least half, depending on how the bankruptcy court handled the debt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This might torch Louisville as a program. Especially given that instate UK is so dominant. Would be yet another ex BE albatross in the ACC basketball.

Trojan-Horse.jpg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Even if Petino leaves and the NCAA actually does something to Lousiville, I expect them to be down for only a few years. The program just makes too much money to stay down for long. Remember Alabama football for a years under Shula? That said, if Petino leaves, the NCAA hits AND the agency that runs the Yum Center goes bankrupt forcing Louisville to take over the management of the area, including its operating costs and debt service, then Louisville would be in real trouble as it will be in a hole and will not have the money to immediately get out of that hole.

Rumors surrounding the potential bankruptcy of the Yum Center management agency have been floating around since 2012. Last I head, the agency is something like $800 million in debt and the Cardinals, which are the arena's primary tenant, keep almost all of the game day revenues (tickets, concessions) and only have to pay for game-day costs (security, staff) and contribute nothing to the overall operating expenses nor the debt service. That deal partially explains how the university is far and away the most profitable college program ($24 million in profit off of $40 million in revenue in 2014/5) versus a program like Kentucky that only had $7 million in profit. Taking on the full cost of the Yum Center would cut their profit in at least half, depending on how the bankruptcy court handled the debt.

Money is important, but the key is, are they going to be able to find the right coach? You are going to have to get a guy with ties to NYC and other places, because in the area, the best kids are looking at UK.

Reaction Score
Money is important, but the key is, are they going to be able to find the right coach? You are going to have to get a guy with ties to NYC and other places, because in the area, the best kids are looking at UK.

Fully agree, though a college needs to have the money to and atop tier coach. Without money and/or the will to spend the money required, one gets a coach like Eddie Jordan (Rutgers) at $550K a year or Jim Christian (BC) whose salary is not yet public I believe.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
This makes the UConn ACC snub to L'ville all the more painful.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
It's amazing what has happened to some of these programs that we've been passed up for.

BCU: now a division II institution
Rutgers: complete dumpster fire
Syracuse: hanging on by a few loose boogers
Louisville: a total "stain"

Reaction Score
The ACC doesn't care, they'll still make their money. Especially after L'ville adds another deck to their football stadium them having second thoughts about taking them over us is laughable.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Immature as one can get...
yet freakin hysterical!

Gold Jerry. Gold. I'll give you credit for stain too, but you shouldn't have used quotes. Let the subtlety carry the day

Reaction Score
If Pitino is aiming to position his son as the new Lousiville basketball coach, that path got a letter harder today after Pitino Jr. had to suspend 3 players, including their top scorer, at U Minn over a se x tape.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...dorsey-nate-mason-dupree-mcbrayer-rest-season

I would think that hiring a new coach to replace an old coach who got canned for a se x scandal would be nearly impossible. BUT, Louisville did hire Bobby Petrino back as its football coach, so nothing is impossible in Cardinal land.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
It's amazing what has happened to some of these programs that we've been passed up for.

BCU: now a division II institution
Rutgers: complete dumpster fire
Don't forget the Golden Domers, who were accepted despite not participating in ACC football...when football is supposedly the most critical factor.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Don't forget the Golden Domers, who were accepted despite not participating in ACC football...when football is supposedly the most critical factor.

Everybody has a vain hope that they can take ND now, and vainly hope to rope them into football in the future, what with all the P5 reorg going on nation wide. Notre Dame will give up their independence kicking and screaming. Don't see it any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom