Rick Neuheusel's Prophecy of DOOM... | The Boneyard

Rick Neuheusel's Prophecy of DOOM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was just listening to Sirius-XM. During the "Coach's Stock Up" segment, he just predicted the Dan Hurley will be the head coach at Kentucky within a year as Kentucky is the "Bluest of Blue Bloods" & that the move is a career maker (whatever that means).
In his next breath, he said that Dave Benedict is actively seeking the Arizona State A.D. position because "he has no football team" & Dave wants to go to a football school" & that Benedict is from Arizona.
Guess he's doubling down on Rule #1.

Reaction Score
Was just listening to Sirius-XM. During the "Coach's Stock Up" segment, he just predicted the Dan Hurley will be the head coach at Kentucky within a year as Kentucky is the "Bluest of Blue Bloods" & that the move is a career maker (whatever that means).
It would be hard to blame Dan Hurley for choosing to be somewhere with an extremely passionate fan base where he has the chance to do things like be the favorite to win back-to-back national championships heading into the Final Four ... oh wait.

Reaction Score
I compare the UCONN program to the 'Beach Boys'. They have the greatest genius at the helm, they break ground, have tons of top 10 hits, a bunch of #1s, the undying respect of every musician in the world- but nobody mentions them in the same breath as the legends.

Reaction Score
In his next breath, he said that Dave Benedict is actively seeking the Arizona State A.D. position because "he has no football team" & Dave wants to go to a football school" & that Benedict is from Arizona.

Because UConn's five, possibly soon to be six, national championships can't hold a candle to Kentucky's eight, five of which were before the advent of the three-point basket, and four of which were before Kentucky even included Black players on its teams. Gotcha. This narrative is such garbage.

Reaction Score
I compare the UCONN program to the 'Beach Boys'. They have the greatest genius at the helm, they break ground, have tons of top 10 hits, a bunch of #1s, the undying respect of every musician in the world- but nobody mentions them in the same breath as the legends.
Just don't take the Brian Wilson/Dan Hurley comparison too far...

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Hurley leaving for Kentucky is absurd, and I believe Benedict, among other things, is committed to working alongside Jim Mora to successfully build the football program to at least a level of competitiveness, respectability, and decent bowl eligibility.

Reaction Score
Hold on, Neuheisel is an ex-football coach. Wtf does he know?

And for those who do not know, he wasn't even a good one. I have friends who went to CU (Colorado) and they hate him. The do not call him "NeuWEASEL" for no reason. He has had that well-earned moniker attached to him for a long time. He was known for being a liar and and a fraud at several different schools even before he crapped out and was driven to work as a TV commentator because no school would hire him. He was considered that radioactively toxic after his failed stint at UCLA.

So, let's assess his "predictions":

1. Benedict going to ASU or some other P4/P5 within the next 12 to 24 months? I would say, VERY LIKELY

2. Hurley leaving for Kentucky in the next 12 months? VERY UNLIKELY. As @MexicoHusky said, a more likely choice would be for him to go to the NBA, if he decides to leave.

Again, do remember where these predictions came from, however. This guy is well-known for making bad predictions, as well as offering non-substantive, shallow commentary on games as a college football studio co-host. And in his past he was known for promising loyalty to a program, only to turn around and jump at the first better offer to come around. His move from Colorado to Washington is a perfect illustration of this.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t surprise me if DB sold out for a big time salary at a P5 school. Don’t really care if he did.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don’t know that it’s selling out. It’s career progression. Big P5 jobs are clearly a step up for an AD. UConn to UK…. Not so much.
Arizona St would be a pre-retirement job. Things get easier when you have unlimited money.

Reaction Score
I’d like an honest detailed answer as to why Kentucky is an upgrade over UConn.

The only answer I can come up with is they may come up with more money for a state employee position?

Reaction Score
And for those who do not know, he wasn't even a good one. I have friends who went to CU (Colorado) and they hate him. The do not call him "NeuWEASEL" for no reason. He has had that well-earned moniker attached to him for a long time. He was known for being a liar and and a fraud at several different schools even before he crapped out and was driven to work as a TV commentator because no school would hire him. He was considered that radioactively toxic after his failed stint at UCLA.

So, let's assess his "predictions":

1. Benedict going to ASU or some other P4/P5 within the next 12 to 24 months? I would say, VERY LIKELY

2. Hurley leaving for Kentucky in the next 12 months? VERY UNLIKELY. As @MexicoHusky said, a more likely choice would be for him to go to the NBA, if he decides to leave.

Again, do remember where these predictions came from, however. This guy is well-known for making bad predictions, as well as offering non-substantive, shallow commentary on games as a college football studio co-host. And in his past he was known for promising loyalty to a program, only to turn around and jump at the first better offer to come around. His move from Colorado to Washington is a perfect illustration of this.
Not that this means anything, but a friend of mine who's in his 60s, huge ASU fan, alum, and resident, said, just last week, that it's so hard to succeed at ASU (besides baseball) because the fan base has so many other pro teams to divert their attention. Which is why ASU football and basketball have struggled for so long. The interest in sun devil sports is not really there.
I can't say for certain if this is true, but I'll trust the boots on the ground more than the boots on the internet.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I know that this wasn't offered as click bait, and I now have only heard of Neuheosel by this this and reading his Wikipedia entry.

I've preserved any fat-fingered typing error(s?) that misspell(s) his last name to signal solidarity with (not criticism of) OP's misspelling of the name in the thread's title. If provoked, I'll suggest that his name be spelled differently anytime anybody writes it. Or I just have.

The thread serves its purpose if it gently distracts us but does so without causing trouble while we unite in our common purpose this week.

I'm content to go back to knowing or caring nothing further about a Western US football guy, and considering him to have offered a dumb & worthless take. He doesn't even seem worth disliking, so I'm not even particularly interested in learning that he's actually a great guy if that's the consensus. (Edit: looks like he's more the jerk leaving bad tastes in people's mouths when he moves on.not quite Emmett, but well...)

If he circles back into my life, I'll be 'ready enough' from this brief exposure.

Reaction Score
I hope Dave doesn't go, but I can see why Arizona St. would be attractive since he is from Tempe, worked at Arizona St., and his wife was an All-American at Arizona St. If he does leave, I will thank him for everything he has done and wish him good luck. Again, I hope he doesn't.

Now, if Benedict did leave, my first phone call would be to Brian White the AD at FAU. Father was AD at Duke, Notre Dame, Arizona St., Tulane,... Brothers are AD at Tennessee (and UCF, Buffalo) and men's basketball HC at Georgia. Hired Dusty May as basketball coach and Tom Herman as football coach at FAU. Played the conference realignment game moving FAU from CUSA to the AAC.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Yeah, Danny's career is really stalled out at the moment

Reaction Score
I’d like an honest detailed answer as to why Kentucky is an upgrade over UConn.

The only answer I can come up with is they may come up with more money for a state employee position?
Calipari's salary - ~$8.5M/yr.
Hurley's salary - ~$5.3M/yr.
I'd say that $3.2M/yr would be the detailed reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom