Rick Barnes Resurgence & Shaka Smart & Who’s Laughing Now?!?! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rick Barnes Resurgence & Shaka Smart & Who’s Laughing Now?!?!

Reaction Score
Rick Barnes has been coaching a major conference team for 33 years, no championship. Jim Calhoun coached a major conference team for 12 years before winning a championship.

Rick Barnes, in those 33 years, has won four regular season conference championships and one conference tournament. Calhoun, in less than that amount of time, won 10 conference titles and seven conference tournaments.

There is no likeness between the two in terms of a "can't win the big game" narrative.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Rick Barnes has been coaching a major conference team for 33 years, no championship. Jim Calhoun coached a major conference team for 12 years before winning a championship.

Rick Barnes, in those 33 years, has won four regular season conference championships and one conference tournament. Calhoun, in less than that amount of time, won 10 conference titles and seven conference tournaments.

There is no likeness between the two in terms of a "can't win the big game" narrative.

Let's be real, there is no likeness between the two, period. And that's not even a knock on Rick. We're talking about Jim Calhoun here.

Reaction Score
schofield and grant williams are two of the very best. stop hating

Reaction Score
Let's be real, there is no likeness between the two, period. And that's not even a knock on Rick. We're talking about Jim Calhoun here.

True. Rick may be a very good basketball coach. Calhoun is a legend, and rightfully in the conversation for one of the best ever.

Reaction Score
schofield and grant williams are two of the very best. stop hating

True. And both were lower rated recruits than Polley, Carlton, Vital, etc. Impressive

Reaction Score
Completely agree. I was responding to the commentary on the previous page about people using the "can't win the big game" knock on JC prior to 99. While some did, it was over a relatively short period of time and while he was still rising in the coaching ranks, despite missing the Final Four with a few really good teams in the 90s.

This has been a knock on Barnes for nearly two decades, and he's no longer rising in the ranks of coaches. One Final Four in 30+ years with the talent he's had and nearly 700 career wins is the definition of can't win a big game.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Tom Crean's Georgia just beat Shaka's Texas.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rick Barnes has won squat but he has proven he can recruit
Shaka had better athletes than anyone else in the A10 and had one Loyola-Chicago type year
Barnes is a better coach and better recruiter
Texas got antsy and I think shot themselves in the foot but I think the move was good for Barnes.
Neither will win a NC, IMHO

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Tom Crean's Georgia just beat Shaka's Texas.

1548542407976.png

Reaction Score
Not a good track record for VCU coaches once they leave. Folks in this thread pointing out Shaka has made the tournament, Texas didn't hire him to make the tourney as a low seed and then get bounced in the first weekend, Barnes could have done that. He's been a flop so far and he'll probably miss the tourney this year.

Reaction Score
A lot of people are saying this and this about Barnes and this and this about Smart, my original post is spot on. Smart wasn’t hired to make the tourney, he was hired to make final fours & cut down nets. Meanwhile Barnes must be looking back laughing because he has been able to bring a program which is typically a middle of the pack power 5 basketball program into the number 1 ranked team in all of the land. It doesn’t mean that Barnes will win the championship, but what it does mean is I believe Texas would take Barnes back in a heartbeat. America loves comeback stories, don’t be surprised if that is the narrative if Barnes is able to get the Volunteers to the final weekend of Madness.....

Reaction Score
Barnes would kill it at UConn, that may or may not mean titles, but Barnes can run a program. Win a title? We’ll see.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
re:Shaka Smart
If URI came into Gampel a few seasons from now and left with a W, I wouldn’t be very happy with that.
Bad optics

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom