Richard Lagow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Richard Lagow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The fact that Richard Lagow and Mike Nebrich can shine outside of our program speaks to their talent but just as importantly our inability to put our players in a system that gives them a chance to succeed.
...and to the fact that the offensive line sucked then and continues to SUCK now. Tom Brady wouldn't fear well behind a bunch of behemoths who continue to trip over themselves at the line of scrimmage. The problem is not the QB.....or the RBs....or the TEs....or the WRs. It has been (and will continue to be) the offensive line. Cochran was successful because his strengths were reading defenses and getting rid of the ball quickly. He was in a system similar to what he ran in high school. He wasn't a threat to run, so he got the ball into the hands of guys who were, quickly. Unfortunately, the offensive line play also forced him to retire from the game. Maybe CC saw the writing on the wall that day. The offensive line SUCKS....period!!!

Reaction Score
The fact that Richard Lagow and Mike Nebrich can shine outside of our program speaks to their talent but just as importantly our inability to put our players in a system that gives them a chance to succeed.
This x1000

Reaction Score
The kid was immature at the time, he got beat out and immediately transferred. Hopefully in time he would have had the job. Certainly a huge upgrade from what we have now, a dual threat QB who can't run or throw.

Lagow tore it up here (near Dallas) at the highest level of Texas high school football (6-A). But that wasn't good enough for UConn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember him recruiting players to UConnand talking about his love for the program. When the coach that shouldn't be named ever again over recruited him he stuck to his commitment but didn't sign for a week. When he got here there was two other true freshman and he saw the writing on the wall.
To be fair, Lagow didn't see the writing on the wall until the end of summer practice when (per Des Connor, who was allowed to observe quite a few practices) Lagow performed well above the other two freshmen QB's (who coincidentally were both from CT) yet was behind both on the depth chart.

A little more than a month later, when P was canned, one of his first comments was "they wanted me to put their kids first so this is what happened". I'm guessing 'they' meant local HS coahes.

Lagow may not have reacted as well as he should have after Boyle committed but that was resolved long before he set foot on campus. Once he got here it was made clear to him that local kids took precedence regardless of performance.

Reaction Score
Gotta fix the O Line promise the kids a car or a house I'll throw in a 100 bucks a month and one of my hookers

Reaction Score
...and to the fact that the offensive line sucked then and continues to SUCK now. Tom Brady wouldn't fear well behind a bunch of behemoths who continue to trip over themselves at the line of scrimmage. The problem is not the QB.....or the RBs....or the TEs....or the WRs. It has been (and will continue to be) the offensive line. Cochran was successful because his strengths were reading defenses and getting rid of the ball quickly. He was in a system similar to what he ran in high school. He wasn't a threat to run, so he got the ball into the hands of guys who were, quickly. Unfortunately, the offensive line play also forced him to retire from the game. Maybe CC saw the writing on the wall that day. The offensive line SUCKS....period!!!

You and I have both been pointing this out for a long time. It has been our #1 foundational problem since PP/GDL. Still you wouldn't consider Indiana or Fordham powerhouse OL's so there's something more to it.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Qbs who play 7 on 7 high school football shouldn't be that good

What are you talking about? Lagow played large school (6A) Texas high school football in the Dallas suburbs. It doesn't get any bigger or better than that. His graduating class had 1,400 students and they play in front of 15,000 people.

7 man football? I don't get it.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
After JuCo he went to Oklahoma St. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't work well on the internet. In all sincerity, thanks for the genuine response. Not everyone is as cynical as me. It's nice to see.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. I read it literally, something that often doesn't work here.

Reaction Score
You and I have both been pointing this out for a long time. It has been our #1 foundational problem since PP/GDL. Still you wouldn't consider Indiana or Fordham powerhouse OL's so there's something more to it.
The TEs and RBs are not very good blockers too. The best RB blocker we had was Josh Marriner and he left.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? Lagow played large school (6A) Texas high school football in the Dallas suburbs. It doesn't get any bigger or better than that. His graduating class had 1,400 students and they play in front of 15,000 people.

7 man football? I don't get it.
I was being sarcastic. But I do believe we had a qb who played 7 0n 7 and was him. Props to Lagow and it's our loss.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I was being sarcastic. But I do believe we had a qb who played 7 0n 7 and was him. Props to Lagow and it's our loss.
The summer before his senior year in HS he was at a passing camp (I believe held at UT) where most top Texas HS QB's attended. In seven on seven competition he finished with the best passing numbers. I believe that is what you are thinking of.

Reaction Score
So every team besides UConn has a great O-line, you really think the Indiana O-line is that much better? Or Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, Temple, USF, etc.

Did NC State have a lousy O-line and that's why they tried to convert BS because they didn't think he could play QB?

Put Lagos behind the uconn line and he becomes bs

Reaction Score
So every team besides UConn has a great O-line, you really think the Indiana O-line is that much better? Or Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, Temple, USF, etc.

Did NC State have a lousy O-line and that's why they tried to convert BS because they didn't think he could play QB?
Our offense is 100 plus? So not every team just 100 teams I watched IU the last 2 weeks and he clearly doesn't have to run for his life every play. What are we first or second in the nation in negative plays?

Reaction Score
The TEs and RBs are not very good blockers too. The best RB blocker we had was Josh Marriner and he left.
BINGO !!! How I yearn for the days of Deon & Tank. The problem is multifaceted as we have a recruited FB who threatened to leave unless put on the D side of the ball. Booby caved as he is a talent on that side also. Having said that it leaves us with a rookie walk on FB. Is it the HC or the OC that prefers to have 5 potential receiver's on the field of which only 2 are efficient at blocking.
Not saying BS is the best since sliced bread but I urge anyone that constantly thinks he is the problem to count the seconds he has to make reads compared to our competition. As for the Lagow thing it is a moot point as he walked in fear of competition. For those making comparisons and believe in stats. BS #94 RL #73...
Total Quarterback Rating - College Football - ESPN

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

Again, I missed the sarcasm.

I'm sarcastic, but I need to up my game to play here.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Is Lagow good at sticking the ball into an RBs ribs for three straight plays? No? We don't need him.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We are the Cleveland Browns of college football in evaluating QB talent.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Is Lagow good at sticking the ball into an RBs ribs for three straight plays? No? We don't need him.

Good point. I could probably play QB on this team.

The only prerequisites seem to be the ability to turn your hips 90 degrees to hand the ball off and to count the number of stars in the sky while lying flat on your back.

Reaction Score
The guy stuck with it, and believed in himself, very happy for him. I hope that he gets to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom