Rich: Stewie has found a mentor... | The Boneyard

Rich: Stewie has found a mentor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What continually impresses me about the women who come through the UConn women's basketball program is their unselfishness and their loyalty to the team. Maya Moore is at the top of the game (along with someone name Taurasi). She has shoe endorsements, appears on videos and has every right to decide to leave Stewy's basketball education to the UConn staff. Yet she reaches out to pass along her wisdom. She expresses true admiration for Stewy's potential without a hit of jealousy at the talents of this "long" sophomore. Maya still finds time to teach and support.

Stewy could not find a better mentor as a basketball player or as a person. It is clear that in 5 or 6 years we will read stories of Stewy taking some UConn player under her wing for words of encouragement and advice. What a wonderful atmosphere Geno, CD and staff have created.

Reaction Score
Stewie could not have made a better choice for a mentor.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What continually impresses me about the women who come through the UConn women's basketball program is their unselfishness and their loyalty to the team. Maya Moore is at the top of the game (along with someone name Taurasi). She has shoe endorsements, appears on videos and has every right to decide to leave Stewy's basketball education to the UConn staff. Yet she reaches out to pass along her wisdom. She expresses true admiration for Stewy's potential without a hit of jealousy at the talents of this "long" sophomore. Maya still finds time to teach and support.

Stewy could not find a better mentor as a basketball player or as a person. It is clear that in 5 or 6 years we will read stories of Stewy taking some UConn player under her wing for words of encouragement and advice. What a wonderful atmosphere Geno, CD and staff have created.
One of the reasons I like women athletes so much and the Uconn program in particular is that attitude of 'we are all in this together'. Not only do they talk 'team', they 'walk the talk'. Whalen's comments about Nurse with no team connection at all, just seeing a young player with potential and acknowledging it is a nice example.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
After Maya committed to UConn I distinctly remember some folks linking articles about Maya The Person not Maya
The Basketball Star. The writers just raved about what a positive influence she was in school and in the community...leading and mentoring
skills off the charts. I remember thinking that even if she stunk on the court UConn was lucky to get her. Mama Moore must be one proud lady.

Say...she obviously enjoyed her stay in Ct. this week. How about....after helping the USA win gold...Maya making an appearance
at First Night [Friday Oct. 17] and helping kick off the season showing off her drumming skills? Think she'd be a hit?

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I think this is what makes Connecticut basketball and their recruiting,so special.The coaches look at character,not just the ability to score,play defense,and do the little things,for success.
Clearly,the best of Connecticut set the example of what is family,of caring,of sharing,is all about.
It is a different world,when it comes to Connecticut basketball women.
As a fan,it is not just the many victories that Connecticut piles up.It is stories like this,the passion to pass on what they learned,the love of the program long after they have left,the excitement of coming back and giving over and over.
When a super star reaches out,as Maya has,it only speaks volumes of what being a Connecticut alumni means,and it also speaks clearly,of the kind of woman Maya truly is!

Reaction Score

When you join the Women's basketball program at UCONN you immediately become part of an exclusive club. And it's a club that you're in for life. Call it what you will (the Lady Husky Club?, the Geno Auriemma Club?) it doesn't matter. It's a club that's all inclusive. Incoming freshman feel it even before they get here. Even we Boneyarders feel a part of it

So is it any surprise that Maya would become a mentor to Stewie? Hardly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As Geno said the other night at the Champions Center, he is most proud of the types of people they've recruited over the 30 years. This is just another reason why.
Is the furniture in now?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
When you join the Women's basketball program at UCONN you immediately become part of an exclusive club. And it's a club that you're in for life. Call it what you will (the Lady Husky Club?, the Geno Auriemma Club?) it doesn't matter. It's a club that's all inclusive. Incoming freshman feel it even before they get here. Even we Boneyarders feel a part of it

So is it any surprise that Maya would become a mentor to Stewie? Hardly.
I don't think anyone is calling it the Lady Husky club :)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Exactly the right person for the job.

The thing about Maya that is common to all good mentors is that you can be certain she will make it all about Stewie and not about herself. It's surprising how many senior managers try to subtly work the system, ingratiate themselves as part of the mentoring process or try to make themselves look better by mentoring, etc. etc. Not saying it's rampant, but truly great mentors are rare.

I have a feeling that Maya would be the perfect mentor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom