Rich: Stewart eyes improvement | The Boneyard

Rich: Stewart eyes improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“What did she finish with 10 points and nine rebounds and six blocks? That’s not a bad day except when you think about `She’s Breanna Stewart.’ So 10 points, nine rebounds, six blocks – she almost had a triple double – and you go, `Wow, man, she sucked today.’ But I think it’s what we expect of her and what the expectation level is of her. Things that happened and the shots that she missed that we’ve just come to expect, `Yeah, she’s going to make all of those.’ And it’s just another reminder that she’s a freshman. And freshman do freshman things. Sometimes in big spots they do great things and sometimes in big spots they do freshman things. She played OK, not what we’ve come to expect.’’

Geno's the man.

Reaction Score
If every girl who comes to this program was as humble and dedicated to get better as her,the team would be impossible to beat.She just needs to relax a bit,as was said.However,she impresses me,as a female Ray Lewis,who will only try to reach new heights,as her career here goes on.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Not sure she would want to be associated with Ray Lewis, particularly given his very dark history with that murder in Atlanta.... but I'm sure she will bounce back from this game and continued to improve throughout the year

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Stewart only needs to look to Dolson. Dolson recognized that she was not in the right shape to play at this level and she did something about it. I think the same is true for Stewart. She needs to hit the weight room and put on some muscle mass. Then she needs to start shoving back.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
“She played OK, not what we’ve come to expect.’’

The team not only expects Stewart to play better, it needs her to play better. Bria too.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If every girl who comes to this program was as humble and dedicated to get better as her,the team would be impossible to beat.She just needs to relax a bit,as was said.However,she impresses me,as a female Ray Lewis,who will only try to reach new heights,as her career here goes on.

Ray Lewis is a punk and a murderer and you really should find a better comparison for Stewart. To compare her to Ray Lewis is not only insulting to her, but it's really, really stupid.

Reaction Score
I was not refering to Ray Lewis the person,I was refering to his desire to be the best,putting in the work and time to achieve the best he could be.

Reaction Score
The most interesting part of the blog post -- at least to me -- is not what will happen with Stewie. Time alone will tell whether she responds to the challenge that playing at this level presents.

The most interesting thing is to hear how articulate, honest and intelligent Kelly Faris is in facing the reporters and telling it like it is after a tough loss. There's not a hint of self-pity and she stepped up and accepted responsibility for her role, and probably even took more blame on her shoulders than was called for. At the same time, she's not giving Stewart a pass, and telling it like it is with regard to what it means to play at UConn.

That young woman has come a long way over the last three and half years -- basketballwise and maturity-wise -- and I see very good things in her future.

Reaction Score
Stewart only needs to look to Dolson. Dolson recognized that she was not in the right shape to play at this level and she did something about it. I think the same is true for Stewart. She needs to hit the weight room and put on some muscle mass. Then she needs to start shoving back.

it's quite evident that breanna stewart is a fiercely proud young woman who will do whatever it takes to be the best player that she can be. i suspect that she's not one who spends much time looking around for role models as regards how hard she needs to work to get better.

Reaction Score
The team not only expects Stewart to play better, it needs her to play better. Bria too.

They were the difference. Breanna shot 5 for 17 and missed layups she ordinarily would make. Bria had a mediocre game at the point. Stef, KLM and Kelly all played
at a high level.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Breanna could not do better than to follow Diana's example. I think Dee (as a freshman) went something like 1-15 as UConn blew a big halftime lead and got embarrassed by Notre Dame. Actually brought her to tears on the bench.

We know the rest of this story.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
“What did she finish with 10 points and nine rebounds and six blocks? That’s not a bad day except when you think about `She’s Breanna Stewart.’ So 10 points, nine rebounds, six blocks – she almost had a triple double – and you go, `Wow, man, she sucked today.’ But I think it’s what we expect of her and what the expectation level is of her. Things that happened and the shots that she missed that we’ve just come to expect, `Yeah, she’s going to make all of those.’ And it’s just another reminder that she’s a freshman. And freshman do freshman things. Sometimes in big spots they do great things and sometimes in big spots they do freshman things. She played OK, not what we’ve come to expect.’’

Geno's the man.
Umm, you left off some key stats: 5 for 17 shooting, 0 for 4 from 3 pt. 0 Assists, 4 Turn overs...22 minutes of play.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
They were the difference. Breanna shot 5 for 17 and missed layups she ordinarily would make. Bria had a mediocre game at the point. Stef, KLM and Kelly all played
at a high level.
Kelly did NOT play at a high level in defending McBride and she said so herself. McBride killed us with 21 points and was scoring practically at will.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Umm, you left off some key stats: 5 for 17 shooting, 0 for 4 from 3 pt. 0 Assists, 4 Turn overs...22 minutes of play.
Your beef is with Geno. It's his quote.

Reaction Score
My wife pointed out a very important thing. Stewart gets knocked down but she gets back up and injects herself right back into the game. She doesn't mope or feel sorry for herself. She also was willing to take some big shots after having missed a lot of shots. Shows a lot of confidence in herself.

Her big challenge is to get physically stronger and a little quicker in my opinion. This will take a year or two but will show remarkable dividends. However, I am not saying she won't be very good the next two years. She will learn how to make the physical play more obvious to the officials and use it to her advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom