Rich: Mulkey not a big fan of the timing of the game | The Boneyard

Rich: Mulkey not a big fan of the timing of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Didn't she already kvetch about this while they were negotiating this with ESPN?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
John A. reports on Geno's reaction:

"If [Mulkey] didn't want to do it, she should say 'I don't want to do it,' " Auriemma said. "What the hell difference what ESPN thinks? If you don't want to play the game, don't play the game."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some of Jeff Jacobs' (and Geno's) thoughts from today's column:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-women/hc-jeff-jacobs-column-0218-20130217,0,4312643.column

"The Bears are 14-0 in the conference, they have a four-game lead with four games remaining. Their next game isn't until Saturday at home against Texas, 2-10 in Big 12. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and assert the game against UConn isn't going to interfere with Mulkey's plans to clinch."

A great team with the most physically dominant player in the history of the game, a team that is veteran, poised, mentally and physically tough, a team that hasn't lost a game with its full complement of players in two seasons? The Bears should strut into Hartford saying, "Bring it on! We are the champs! We'll play the Connecticut Sun while we're up here!" You'd respect the bravado.

Look, if it ended today, Brittney Griner would not be remembered as the greatest player in college history. If she slams the door on UConn, closes out a second successive title, sticks another banner in the ground, well, she can challenge anyone. That's what games like this help define.

"I know one of their goals was to win 91 in row," Auriemma said making reference to UConn's record streak. "I think they discovered how difficult that is to do. ... If you look at their team and they play their A game, theoretically they're going to win every game they play. They have something no one else has. They can walk into any arena and say unless we play bad, we're not going to lose. I've been there lots of times. It's a good feeling."

UConn long has played anybody, anywhere, anytime without complaint. In 2012, UConn played at Duke Jan. 30 and at Oklahoma Feb. 14. Oklahoma three times, LSU twice, Texas once — the Huskies have played in February against nonconference teams seven of eight years. Don't remember them crying or not getting to the Final Four because of it.

Actually, if UConn wins, then beats Notre Dame to win out, it'll get the No. 1 overall seed that would allow the Huskies to avoid playing both Notre Dame and Baylor in the Final Four. That's means plenty. Don't undersell a great game, Kim. It doesn't look good on you.

Reaction Score
Actually I would think the time of the game would be better for Baylor and worse for UCONN. It is a 9 pm game. But for Baylor being an hour or two behind us ( I believe they are two hours behind) it is like playing a 7 pm game. Earlier in the night for them.

What really could help us is the 20 degree weather out there. Maybe Griner is not used to it... :)

Reaction Score
What next: Kim isn't happy when her team can't play the entire NCAA tournament at one location?

Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog