Rich: Jefferson was a star | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rich: Jefferson was a star

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What's sad is Moriah won't get any serious consideration for All American this year. No way will any of the All American teams consider 5 UConn players as All American..

There is still a half season to go, the tourney, and the NCAA's
MO is going to be playing against some of the better guards in the country; the Schimmel sisters come to mind at least twice and heaven forbid, as many as four times.
Possibly Baylor again. Notre Dame and UTenn's best?

Crazier things have happened.

Is it impossible that she winds up the 2nd most valuable performer on this squad?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Look at my post in the other thread "Who was the best guard on the floor tonight?" I made the case that Moriah out-played Odyssey hands down last night. It is time to start thinking of Moriah as one of, if not the best, point guards in women's college basketball.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I'm going to say this only one time more to avoid the disgruntlement that may ensue.

Yes, I believe in the Sophomore leap.

But much of this talent and obvious ability was there last season.
As it had been in USA ball.
It just didn't spring out of the earth now.

Mo just needed a little more encouragement, trust and responsibility.
I know Geno doesn't trust freshman in general
But Caroline (no greater admirer than me) was essentially a cripple.
An earlier emergence might (just might) have made last season's travails disappear.

Now, we are seeing the potential of a near superstar point.
With ball-hawking skills, second to none.
When she picked Sims' pocket, that had an effect on the game.
And when that unheralded leaper blocked the shot in the corner, that put an exclamation point on the proceedings.

Looking at her physically; what is she 5'5, 95 pounds ringing wet? It's hard to take her seriously.
But watch out, this kid is a basketball player.

And by the way, she had 6 (count em) rebounds, last night, and 0 turnovers.

What's the gd point to this?
UConn won almost every game last year. They won the national championship -- what could be better than that? MJ came along throughout the season last year -- had her ups and downs, but grew, especially at the end. She is amazing right now and will most likely be a vital part of UConn winning a National Championship this year. Half way through her sophomore season, MJ is growing to be recognized as one of the top points in the country. What would have happened better if you had managed her development properly, rather than MJ having to endure Geno's bad decision making and inept player development?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This IS a lineup of All-Americans. Bria made it 2 years ago. Stef and Kaleena made it last year. At least one of those 3 should make it this year. Stewie is a lock. Moriah should make it next year.

If she's healthy, I can see Morgan making it in time. I also think that Saniya is a possibility before she's done.

Reaction Score
In the schoolyards where I used to play as a kid MO would be referred to as simply someone who is so good she makes your eyes hurt.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Jefferson looked really good. That stat line is tremendous. She was a major part of this victory and I am sure was super excited to perfrom well in front of her family.

I know that Stokes didn't score, but she put in some really good minutes! Her blocks and overall inside presence on defense was a real factor.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
If UConn goes the entire regular season undefeated and I think they just might. I think the following is entirely possible. It will be hard for the committee to give more than two spots on the first team to UConn...given their proclivity to want to spread the wealth. What do they do with Thomas, Ogwumike, McBride, Williams, Sims and Plaisance.

Can an argument be made for KML and Hartley to make the 1st team. KML certainly but she hasn't gotten back her groove yet since her injury and there are only 13 more regular season games left...I think she may be running out of games. Bria Hartley, sure and she has the best chance of breaking through because of the way she has been playing of late, her tendency to make the big shots and to show up in the big games and her previous listing as a sophomore on the 1st team. Additionally, she is a senior. But, this is the way I see it eventually shaking out.

1st Team All Americans - Breanna Stewart, Stefanie Dolson

2nd Team All Americans - KML, Bria Hartley

3rd Team All Americans - Moriah Jefferson

Reaction Score
That little "if" seems to be getting bigger all the time.

Reaction Score
really, really, really like and admire this kid
I really love the way that she has evolved. When she was being recruited, as the highest rated point guard ever I had some really high expectations and she ended up being less than I thought, though she played appreciably better at the very end of last year. However, this year she's in a completely different place and actually making outstanding plays on both sides of the ball that never would have happened last year. I'm so totally impressed with her and "her heart and her will". She seems to exemplify those things which we always heard Jim Calhoun on the men's side talking about! Despite her diminutive size, she has carried this team on a few occasions when we need her most. Outstanding!!!!!!!!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Sonny are you serious...I think with each passing game the "little if" gets smaller and smaller.

Reaction Score
Moriah was the best PG on the floor that game. Didn't score more than Simms, but she was the better PG and floor general, and she's only a sophomore. She's absolutely amazing. 2.5 more years of this kid. LOVE it!!!
I agree that she was the better point guard last night and insofar as scoring is concerned, you have to agree that she was much more efficient on the offensive end. Cranking up 25 shots at a 16% clip is not my idea of efficient. Moriah was super last night and continues to get better. I'm guessing the sky is the limit. Wow!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sonny are you serious...I think with each passing game the "little if" gets smaller and smaller.
If he is talking about going undefeated, I don't see how this game changes that at all. In fact, it's one more ranked team they are done with.

There are only 2-3 games where they can lose left on the schedule.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
If he is talking about going undefeated, I don't see how this game changes that at all. In fact, it's one more ranked team they are done with.

There are only 2-3 games where they can lose left on the schedule.
I think CFerraro understands that. What he is saying is that sonny has the "big if" little if backwards.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think CFerraro understands that. What he is saying is that sonny has the "big if" little if backwards.
Yeah, I know. I was referring to Sonny in my reply to CF.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But much of this talent and obvious ability was there last season.
As it had been in USA ball.
It just didn't spring out of the earth now.

Mo just needed a little more encouragement, trust and responsibility.
I know Geno doesn't trust freshman in general
But Caroline (no greater admirer than me) was essentially a cripple.
An earlier emergence might (just might) have made last season's travails disappear.
I disagree with your premise that Geno doesn't trust freshmen. I would say that Geno, in general, prefers to keep pressure off of freshmen whenever possible so that they don't become too anxious about their responsibilities. During Bria's freshman year, he expressed the fact that he hated putting her in the point guard spot because 1. she's a shooting guard and 2. she was a freshman. He doesn't distrust his freshmen; he's protective of them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good point and one of the reasons Maya started her freshman year on the bench - she was clearly talented enough and composed enough to start, but it was just a better way to bring her along. I believe she only cracked the starting line-up when the injury hit and she was 'next man up'.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good point and one of the reasons Maya started her freshman year on the bench - she was clearly talented enough and composed enough to start, but it was just a better way to bring her along. I believe she only cracked the starting line-up when the injury hit and she was 'next man up'.
Geno said he liked to bring Maya off the bench, because the other teams probably didn't have anyone on their bench to counter Maya. Um, let's see. No, none of the 300+ teams in Division 1 had a starter who could counter Maya. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom