Rich Elliott with some good info : | The Boneyard

Rich Elliott with some good info :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2011/09/19/source-uconn-has-serious-interest-in-joining-the-acc/

“I think they’re both priorities, but the one we can really be the most proactive with is (the ACC),’’ the source said. “We’ve got to take care of ourselves. My gut’s telling me there’s a better than average chance we’ll be in the ACC. (UConn president Susan Herbst) is in pretty constant communication. She knows a couple of the presidents and things like that. She’s working on it.’’

and

“You don’t really apply,’’ the source said. “You only apply if you know you’re going to get in. This is not going to be a quick-fire thing. This is going to take a little time because the ACC is in the position of power. So they’re going look around and they’re going to talk to Notre Dame and see if they’ve got any interest. They’re going to shop around.’’

Reaction Score
The writer for the WBB's program has the best access......Thank You Mr. Elliott!!!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hopefully ND tells Pitt and Syracuse to buzz off and Texas finally cuts a deal with the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
Hopefully ND tells Pitt and Syracuse to buzz off and Texas finally cuts a deal with the Pac 12.

I really think Texas is the school that everyone is waiting for and then to a lesser degree ND. If Texas goes West and joins the Pac-? I think it opens the door wide open for UConn to the ACC. As long as Texas remains available to the ACC/Big Ten I cant really hold it against them to hold out for Texas decision. UConn doesn't compare at all to what Texas would bring to the table but once Texas is off the table I think UConn is in great position to be the next member of the ACC.

So here is hoping that Texas goes West and not East.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
All indications are that Texas goes west with Tech. Unless ND is willing to share or give up it's NBC $$$, no conference will take them. It's all or nothing time. I don't see ND getting another deal like it cut with the BE.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
All indications are that Texas goes west with Tech. Unless ND is willing to share or give up it's NBC $$$, no conference will take them. It's all or nothing time. I don't see ND getting another deal like it cut with the BE.

I think ND could renegotiate their agreement with NBC for a huge increase today. My guess is that is what their time is being spent on right now. They stick with the Hoops-onlies, who will get a phat TV deal from Comcast, and ND will be fine, and independent.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think ND could renegotiate their agreement with NBC for a huge increase today. My guess is that is what their time is being spent on right now. They stick with the Hoops-onlies, who will get a phat TV deal from Comcast, and ND will be fine, and independent.
if that's the case, no reason for ND NOT to stay in what will be the old big east with the catholic schools. it would be a terrific hoops conference anchored by Gtown, Nova, and ND.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

But then what about their bowl sitation?

The Big East has allowed them to 'steal' one of their bowl slots as part of the agreement. None of the power conferences would be willing to make that arrangement with Notre Dame. If they don't have that aggrement in place, Notre Dame would essentially be left with a BCS bowl game, or going to a lower tier bowl game that a conference cannot fill with their own eligible teams (ie Birmingham, Detroit, etc). This is where Notre Dame's hand may be forced to join a conference (unless they can somehow work out a deal with Big Leftover conference when it forms).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The Big East has allowed them to 'steal' one of their bowl slots as part of the agreement. None of the power conferences would be willing to make that arrangement with Notre Dame. If they don't have that aggrement in place, Notre Dame would essentially be left with a BCS bowl game, or going to a lower tier bowl game that a conference cannot fill with their own eligible teams (ie Birmingham, Detroit, etc). This is where Notre Dame's hand may be forced to join a conference (unless they can somehow work out a deal with Big Leftover conference when it forms).

ND will cut the same deal with the Big 12/Big East. Book it. Between Kansas, Louisville, TCU, Cincinnati and Boise, that league will travel better than the current Big East and likely get better bowls.

Reaction Score

The Big EAst bowl alliance was nice for ND, but not existential. Army, Navy and BYU all seem able to do this on their own. You may see the independents pool a number of slots among them and rotate them around. It is not that big a deal for the Irish.

Reaction Score
Pendergast's stating date has been moved to October 1? The new pres sure knows how to take charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom