Rich Elliott on KML, recruiting, etc. | The Boneyard

Rich Elliott on KML, recruiting, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From Rich's latest blog entry:
  • KML's improved conditioning (she says she lost 12 lbs since arriving on campus)
  • Moriah and Breanna will be at the A&M game
  • Diamond Deshields, Karlie Samuelson and Taya Reimer are currently UConn's main 2013 targets
http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/

BTW, Reimer's high school team defeated Mavunga's last night 67-47. Taya scored 18 and grabbed 12 rebounds while Mavunga scored 26 and grabbed 9 rebounds.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Diamond Deshields, Karlie Samuelson and Taya Reimer are currently UConn's main 2013 targets
i sort of hate that. no Tucker, Russell, or Muvunga? grrr... i mean obviously good that we're still looking at Diamond, Taya and Karlie. Diamond and Taya alone would make for an amazing class.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I love that the list includes Deshields, Samuelson and Reimer. Yayyy! It's a current list and I think it looks pretty good.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
If no Russell from 2013, Geno needs a big from 2014 to replace Stef. Brianna Turner would be great.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hope we go at least 2 of 3. Three is a small number. I was hoping for Tucker.

Does this mean that Mavunga cancelled her trip to UConn?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"Naysayers targeted her conditioning." Look at who just left and wore the same number. I have never seen anyone who looks more impressive physically than Maya Moore. That's just an unfair comparison. But Kaleena is remaking her body and looks quite svelte. She wants to be great and knows that being fit is part of it. (See what Dee and Sue did in the past few years.) Way to go Kaleena!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I hope we go at least 2 of 3. Three is a small number. I was hoping for Tucker.

Does this mean that Mavunga cancelled her trip to UConn?
Three is a small number. If you go oh-fer, you only have ten girls on the roster for 2013-14. What a ten they'd be (seniors- Stef, Bria, Lauren, Michala, juniors- KML, Banks, Kiah, sophomores- Stewart, Moriah, Morgan), but that still leaves you precious little margin for error. I'd hate to see UConn below 12. I wonder if Geno and CD are exceptionally confident regarding their chances with the three they're recruiting. On the face of it, it doesn't seem like any are close to shoe-ins, but obviously they know infinitely more than I do regarding what's going on with the recruitment of Taya, DD, and the younger Samuelson.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I wouldn't push the panic button just yet. Rich quotes a "recruiting source" but doesn't say if it is an inside or outside source. If outside, the "source" may not be totally correct.

Reaction Score
i sort of hate that. no Tucker, Russell, or Muvunga? grrr... i mean obviously good that we're still looking at Diamond, Taya and Karlie. Diamond and Taya alone would make for an amazing class.
"A recruiting source said that Taya Reimer, a 6-3 forward from Fishers, Ind., Diamond DeShields, a 6-1 forward from Norcross, Ga., and Karlie Samuelson, a 5-11 guard from Huntington Beach, Calif., are currently UConn’s main targets for the Class 2013."
"Main targets" not "only targets.

Reaction Score
I would be very happy with those three even if we didn't get a fourth recruit.

Reaction Score
I think we will probably land 2 of the 3 "main" targets. I'm not sold on Samuelson....I think she will probably head to Standford, if offered. Also, like almost every year, we will land a suprise recruit that wasn't highly publicized by the media.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No one is panicking. Well, I'm not, but I can't speak for Eric. :)

Seriously, I was hoping for a longer list. As Alex notes, 0-fer is possible with such a small number. If those are the main targets, my guess would be that our chances would be poor with Russell, Mavunga, and Tucker, if they are secondary targets. Perhaps there are other secondary targets. We'll find out more in time. This was the first piece of news in weeks.

A possible 0-fer would not be good down the road unless we absolutely load up in 2014. Yes, we have a lot of talent, but there is room for a few talented players. Recently, Geno said that 12 was a good number. Earlier, CD said that the ideal would be 3-4-3-4, which sums to 14. After last year's lack of depth, many of us like a higher number, even 15, better than risking only 10-11.

Reaction Score

Bingo.

Sometimes main targets actually does mean "only targets" when it comes to UConn at this time of year. Part of the UConn recruiting pitch is that being recruited by UConn seriously is an exclusive thing. Typically it is around this time that UConn's list shrinks down to just the scholarships they are willing to offer. Obviously if any of three indicates waning interest in UConn things will change, and UConn has the open scholarships to add to these 3 so the situation is fluid, but I would also not be surprised if UConn just sticks with these three all the way to the end of 2013 recruiting.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sometimes main targets actually does mean "only targets" when it comes to UConn at this time of year. Part of the UConn recruiting pitch is that being recruited by UConn seriously is an exclusive thing. Typically it is around this time that UConn's list shrinks down to just the scholarships they are willing to offer. Obviously if any of three indicates waning interest in UConn things will change, and UConn has the open scholarships to add to these 3 so the situation is fluid, but I would also not be surprised if UConn just sticks with these three all the way to the end of 2013 recruiting.
What you say is true but the last part is also true which is main targets does not necessarily mean only targets. There can be little doubt that they have additional targets already identified should they be needed. Late in the game you can't afford to be at square one when a sudden change in plan is required. One quibble as to whether the proper term is "targets."

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: Texas A&M plays at ranked Purdue on Sunday. Is it on TV somewhere? That would provide an opportunity for our aspiring Boneyard coaches to strategize for Tuesday night.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
BTW: Texas A&M plays at ranked Purdue on Sunday. Is it on TV somewhere? That would provide an opportunity for our aspiring Boneyard coaches to strategize for Tuesday night.
As near as I can tell it is not being televised.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
After last year's lack of depth, many of us like a higher number, even 15, better than risking only 10-11.

You guys do realize we only have 11 THIS year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You guys do realize we only have 11 THIS year.
Yep. That is much better than last year (especially with CD semi-healthy), but I'd like 12-14.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno said 13 no more on his last show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads