Rich Elliot has a new article on Stef | The Boneyard

Rich Elliot has a new article on Stef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
As a Notre Dame fan, I witnessed Stef's rennaisance as an opponent and it scared me. She was very effective on both ends of the floor, and the only thing slowing her down was poor conditioning (so rare for a Huskie). If she truly gets in shape, look out! Of course if she can only play 20 minutes a game this upcoming season, there are plenty of other options UConn can utilize to eat up minutes. While none are true centers, Geno has an embarassment of riches at the post, and most teams do not even field a true center in wcbb. Add that to the versatility of each player being able to play more than one position, and Geno is smiling broadly even when dehydrated.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What a great read. Can't wait to see the trimmed down Stef.

This team is going to be amazing.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
DD and OC...never too early to fire up the Stef Band Wagon...I will ride shot gun.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
As a Notre Dame fan, I witnessed Stef's rennaisance as an opponent and it scared me. She was very effective on both ends of the floor, and the only thing slowing her down was poor conditioning (so rare for a Huskie). If she truly gets in shape, look out! Of course if she can only play 20 minutes a game this upcoming season, there are plenty of other options UConn can utilize to eat up minutes. While none are true centers, Geno has an embarassment of riches at the post, and most teams do not even field a true center in wcbb. Add that to the versatility of each player being able to play more than one position, and Geno is smiling broadly even when dehydrated.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!

Especially the part about embarrassment of riches....except that there is also an embarrassment of riches on the perimeter.... :cool:.....A good % of the talent on this year's team is quite young, but when they start to get the hang of things and the team begins to gel around mid-season or so:

WATCH

THE ..@$&%!

OUT

Husky4Life

ibleedblue
Reaction Score
This season will definitely be an exciting one to watch. Can't wait!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
This season will definitely be an exciting one to watch. Can't wait!

Me either! There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and it won't be coming from Storrs !!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good to hear. I think she can be as good as she wants to be.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If Stef does indeed get her endurance and physical strength at its potential, she will be extremely dangerous. As I've posted before, I think Breanna's arrival will make Stef better simply by being another body in the post that opponents have to worry about (KML improving her own post game will help with that too). With less focus of the interior defense on her, with greater physical ability to deal with the attention she does get, and with greater endurance (tired players often foul more as a corallary to that), she can maximize her fundamental skill set to score in a variety of ways.

CD is of course also correct in that Stef and Bria, in their capacities as upperclassman, also have a responsibility to improve their leadership potential, both explictly and by example. They don't have to be the two best players on the team the next two years, but on a certain level, this team goes as far as those two take it from an emotional/psychological standpoint.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good to hear. I think she can be as good as she wants to be.
I agree. She has size, good footwork, great shooting touch, passing skills, and desire. She does not have Tina's raw athleticism, but she has more size and some skills that Tina does not have to the same degree. If Stef draws only single coverage, she will be a problem for most teams.

HGN

Reaction Score
Glad to see Stephanie taking her conditioning a lot more serious.... I don't know whether the arrival of Stewart and the rapid development of Stokes prompted this new focus or not , but it can't hurt..... She could be a Monster with the right attitude and good conditioning.

GO HUSKIES !!!!

Reaction Score
By far the best screener in basketball, men or women's. People do not realize how hard she has to work screening for everyone then posting down low for a shot or a rebound. If you press us you better have your head on a swivel 'cause Bigmomma Stef will take you out.
I look for Stef to have a HUGE year. Keep watching... !

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Next season we will not only have Twin Towers we will have back up twin towers. Maybe we can them the Manhattan Skyline. Alot of height and alot of scoring. Dont know how you can defend them, especially with our outside shooting. The next 2 seasons will be magic.

Reaction Score
If Stef does indeed get her endurance and physical strength at its potential, she will be extremely dangerous. As I've posted before, I think Breanna's arrival will make Stef better simply by being another body in the post that opponents have to worry about (KML improving her own post game will help with that too). With less focus of the interior defense on her, with greater physical ability to deal with the attention she does get, and with greater endurance (tired players often foul more as a corallary to that), she can maximize her fundamental skill set to score in a variety of ways.

CD is of course also correct in that Stef and Bria, in their capacities as upperclassman, also have a responsibility to improve their leadership potential, both explictly and by example. They don't have to be the two best players on the team the next two years, but on a certain level, this team goes as far as those two take it from an emotional/psychological standpoint.

IMHO, AA Bria was the best player on the team this past season!

Peace,

John Fryer

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
IMHO, AA Bria was the best player on the team this past season!

Peace,

John Fryer
Definitely don't disagree. However, I thought KML was ahead of where Bria was as a freshman, so over the next couple of years, their respective trajectories might meet up. And then the development of the incoming freshmen will be interesting to follow over the next two seasons.

Reaction Score
I agree. She has size, good footwork, great shooting touch, passing skills, and desire. She does not have Tina's raw athleticism, but she has more size and some skills that Tina does not have to the same degree. If Stef draws only single coverage, she will be a problem for most teams.

I'm not sure about what exactly you meant when you said: "She does not have Tina's raw athleticism,..." and "some skills that Tina does not have to the same degree."

IMO, athleticism, when not used in a perjorative sense, is almost always used to describe conditioning, body control and movement. All of which Tina clearly exceeded Stef.

Clearly, Stef has a better face-up jump shot than did Tina.

It is just my opinion, of course, but in all other areas related to playing the post position Tina was clearly better.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Definitely don't disagree. However, I thought KML was ahead of where Bria was as a freshman, so over the next couple of years, their respective trajectories might meet up. And then the development of the incoming freshmen will be interesting to follow over the next two seasons.

But Bria was asked to do so much more as a freshman besides score and play a lot of minutes, which is sometimes very difficult for a freshman.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about what exactly you meant when you said: "She does not have Tina's raw athleticism,..." and "some skills that Tina does not have to the same degree."

IMO, athleticism, when not used in a perjorative sense, is almost always used to describe conditioning, body control and movement. All of which Tina clearly exceeded Stef.

Clearly, Stef has a better face-up jump shot than did Tina.

It is just my opinion, of course, but in all other areas related to playing the post position Tina was clearly better.

Peace,

John Fryer

We are talking the college Tina, not the WNBA Tina. And in the regard Stef is a better outside shooter than Tina. A better screener. And a better passer. Tina was by far, the better defender, rebounder and finisher in most cases.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
But Bria was asked to do so much more as a freshman besides score and play a lot of minutes, which is sometimes very difficult for a freshman.
What Bria and Stef had to go through as freshmen wasn't remotely fair, and I hope/expect that those experiences pay big dividends for UConn during their upperclassmen years. But KML had a number of truly special performances, including winning the BET MOP (easily, mind you) as a frosh in a year when the league produced two #1 seeds, and also ended up leading the team in scoring. That kid is the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom