Rich: Ekmark has the right attitude | The Boneyard

Rich: Ekmark has the right attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“Look at the people they’re competing against,’’ Auriemma said. “So it takes a while. Everybody wants to make it like these guys come in from high school and they did this, this and this. And I try to remind them, all of them, everyday. I said, `Hey, Stewie was lot better than you guys coming in here and she had a nightmare January and February of her freshman year. So nobody’s immune to it. And you’re just going to have to fight your way through it.’

“And Courtney’s case, it’s like `I shoot the ball. I’m a real good shooter.’ OK, what happens when you can’t get your shot off, which is every day because guys know that. Now how are you going to impact the game in other ways and how do you not let your confidence take a hit just because you’re forced to do things you never had to do? That’s the challenge for all these freshmen.’’

LINK

HGN

Reaction Score
Thanks Linkster......Good article. Hopefully all the freshmen get a chance to read it. I think it should encourage all of them. He is basically saying all will struggle at some point this year. Perhaps some more than others. So keep a positive attitude. Already Ekmark is expanding her game , Gabby is working in the post , and Nurse is being Nurse . And I have no doubt that Sadie will get the picture and start stepping it up as well.

I have faith in Geno's methods. Hopefully the freshmen will too.

Reaction Score
What a great answer to the interviewer. Clearly the freshmen have been prepared to absorb things this year. I like the attitude even more having watched Stewie's experience with the USA national team. It shows maturity to know that it is better for you to be in learning mode instead of worrying about what the playing time pundits will say about you. I think it is really a factor of how healthy the rest of the team is to be able to have newcomers progress at their own pace. I just listened to a lecturer talk about how much more successful the learning attitude is in the long run.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great article and great perspective on freshman. There are a few freshman that don't go through the process but they are few and far between. At Uconn, the 'not starting freshman' unless there is no one else is all part of this. After 2002, Geno had no choice, with CD and then Tiff he really had no better option, and Stef/Bria - same thing. This year, as long as Chong continues to play well, he does have a viable option and I suspect no matter how well any of the freshman are doing, they will only start in emergency duty. It just relieves the pressure on them and allows them to go through their struggles without as much bright light focus.

Reaction Score
All I can say is how grateful I am that with this class we're not running with a short bench as we have twice already in the last 5 years. We've got a nice mix of players and strengths, and then there's the miracle appearance of Natalie Butler out the blue, just in time to take the reins from Kiah Stokes after her turn under the stage lights.

This year should be great for UConn wbb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom