Rich: Dolson not looking at surgery after the season | The Boneyard

Rich: Dolson not looking at surgery after the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Is there ever a time when Dolson is not in pain?
“When I’m sleeping,’’ she said. “As long as I’m sleeping.’’

LINK

Reaction Score
Articles like the one informing this thread help to differentiate between the real and the unreal. In reality, playing at the top level of WCBB is extraordinarily demanding, physically and mentally and it takes up a lot of time.

It is unrealistic to continuously dodge the question of whether these athletes should be compensated for the commitment required of them. I hasten to add, this is not a UCONN issue or a conference affiliation one. This is more a societal question where amateurism is defined as high quality, high expectation sports and entertainment from college athletes; but no pay to them.

If WCBB at this level were truly an amateur endeavor, players would not be allowed, much less expected to play through injuries that, by normal definition, mandate rest and less stress as a part of the cure. Only in professional sports and entertainment is it appropriate to require performing when it is painful to do so.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
They are compensated...via their scholarships. The fact that some men in the 'big' sports [football and basketball] choose to
leave early to get jobs and not pursue a degree doesn't diminish the value of a scholarship...something many young adults would just love to have but instead incur debt to pursue a degree in their chosen field.

Reaction Score
One of the problems, as I see it, is that the big dollar sports, like football, finance most of the other sports. If you pay the players, where would the additional revenue come from? do you just pay the football players, who generate the most income for the school, or everyone across the board? Do you remove the athletic scholarships, and have the players pay their own way out of their "salary"? It's a slippery slope. I think that the yearly scholarship ($30K+) is fair compensation for their athletic participation.

Reaction Score
They are compensated...via their scholarships. The fact that some men in the 'big' sports [football and basketball] choose to
leave early to get jobs and not pursue a degree doesn't diminish the value of a scholarship...something many young adults would just love to have but instead incur debt to pursue a degree in their chosen field.

The reply sounds familiar, very familiar. It represents the standard reply and the one that usually serves to slam the door of discussion of the issue shut.

The issue of Stefanie Dolson experiencing pain in all waking hours served to provide an opportunity to delve a little deeper than the standard reply normally permits on whether scholarships are adequate compensation for what is expected of athletes. Maybe the time for reflection on the issue should await the outcome of tonight's game.

After all, for us BYers, the off season is fast approaching :-o

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Fair enough...a topic worth discussing after #8.
One disagreement up front though: Many Boneyarders view our fandom as a 12 month deal....no offseason.
Hmmm...USABasketball 19U world championships coming up in July....Moriah, Morgan and Breanna were on the qualifying
team last summer...hope they are invited back and their schedule allows them to accept. Last summer's qualifying was easy....this should be much
more competitive

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The reply sounds familiar, very familiar. It represents the standard reply and the one that usually serves to slam the door of discussion of the issue shut.

The issue of Stefanie Dolson experiencing pain in all waking hours served to provide an opportunity to delve a little deeper than the standard reply normally permits on whether scholarships are adequate compensation for what is expected of athletes. Maybe the time for reflection on the issue should await the outcome of tonight's game.

After all, for us BYers, the off season is fast approaching :-o

I can see the 'pay the players' argument for Football and Mens basketball, but for everything else, no. Those two sports generate enormous income for schools. WBB historically does not. Only UConn and TN WBB programs have made much money historically. And you can't just let some teams pay, as that would be a huge advantage. Everyone has to do it.

Paying players in WCBB or any other sport like lacrosse, soccer, whatever, would be a black hole for Colleges.

Reaction Score
I can see the 'pay the players' argument for Football and Mens basketball, but for everything else, no. Those two sports generate enormous income for schools. WBB historically does not. Only UConn and TN WBB programs have made much money historically. And you can't just let some teams pay, as that would be a huge advantage. Everyone has to do it.

Paying players in WCBB or any other sport like lacrosse, soccer, whatever, would be a black hole for Colleges.

Thanks for a thoughtful reply. It is positive for compensating football and men bb players, negative for others and I have no quarrel with the reasoning. I merely disagree with the limits.

On the other hand, though, I question whether it is a good idea to refer to the idea of compensation for services rendered by all student performers (not just athletic, but performing art of all type, up to and including things like debate and acapella groups) as a "black hole."

Language counts. I'm not sure it is either accurate or appropriate to put the idea of compensation for services rendered in a category of unwarranted burden and something that should be avoided like the plague. Note, too, that jobs for college graduates, athletes and others, are fewer and farther between these days.

It might be useful to think more positively about prospects for getting people paid.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I understand the link between playing in pain and compensation. I know lots of not "big entertainment" athhletes who endure great physical hardship to be able to even participate at fairly high levels. If any athlete only wanted to play for money, then skip school and go play professionally. What sport is this option not available? Further, does the player benefit from playing in college or only the school benefit? If the player benefits, does that get subtracted from their "pay"? Who decides how much a player gets paid?
I only see HUGE problems with trying to pay college athletes.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Scholarships are not a form of payment? Room, board, books, education, travel costs, uniforms, shoes, practice clothes, support staff for the classes. that seems to me a lot of compensation. They also get medical treatment during the season and during the offseason, access to work out gyms and facilities for conditioning in addition to a lot of life's lessons learned from their coaches as well as of course world-class basketball instruction. They get a lot. And I'm happy they get all this, this is good.
for what purpose would additional payment be?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Also Stefanie wouldn't be playing through the injury if the trainers and medical staff would not allow it.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Rather than pay players provide them with insurance policies against loss earnings if they loss a pro career due to college injury. Actuaries can place values on these types of things.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Rather than pay players provide them with insurance policies against loss earnings if they loss a pro career due to college injury. Actuaries can place values on these types of things.

Isnt that kind of tricky? What about someone who wouldn't have a pro career regardless of injury?

Reaction Score
putting aside the current debate, plantar fasciitis can be very difficult to treat. and very disabling.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
putting aside the current debate, plantar fasciitis can be very difficult to treat. and very disabling.

I know, I have suffered from it from time to time. I have to wear braces when it is acting up

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Isnt that kind of tricky? What about someone who wouldn't have a pro career regardless of injury?

Not too hard really (former actuary here). It is a good suggestion. People claiming that big time athletes get compensated aren't thinking about the risk/reward. Or fair compensation for services rendered.

In big time sports, athletes make Universities BILLIONS of dollars, yet many of them risk multi millions in future earnings through potential injury. That structure is very very unfair to the players. Athletes assume all the risk, while Universities reap all the benefits. So it needs to be address.

Reaction Score
Not too hard really (former actuary here). It is a good suggestion. People claiming that big time athletes get compensated aren't thinking about the risk/reward. Or fair compensation for services rendered.

In big time sports, athletes make Universities BILLIONS of dollars, yet many of them risk multi millions in future earnings through potential injury. That structure is very very unfair to the players. Athletes assume all the risk, while Universities reap all the benefits. So it needs to be address.

Ah, I think I can provide some moderately good news here. NCAA allows a form if "disability" insurance cover for athletes whose injuries prevent a professional career.

See:

http://coachgeorgeraveling.com/the-...rogram-isnt-what-the-ncaa-cracks-it-up-to-be/

The article is not an official explanation, but does provide insight into the background and intended purpose of the program. I'm not sure if it's going to help the Louisville kid who just got injured. It probably didn't help Marcus Lattimore, the South Carolina football player who suffered a gruesome leg injury last season. And it most assuredly didn't help Tyrone Prothro, the Alabama football star who likewise suffered a terrible injury on national teevee a few seasons ago.

For all if the glory associated with Alabama football and the $6million/yr paid to Alabama coach Saban, there was was zilch for Prothro. Last I heard, his Alabama degree landed him a job as a bank teller.

There's something wrong here, posters. The article about Stef is a hint or a tip that should enable putting 2 and 2 together resulting in calls for better security and compensation for student athletes.

Seriously.

Reaction Score
OK - so which athletes are supposed to get "paid"? All sports where ANY injury can occur? What about any other of the others in any performing arts?
I said above - if they ONLY want to get paid, then just skip college and go pro. I'm not aware that that option is not available NOW. (I know, I know the WNBA has restrictions but last I knew, those same restrictions don't exist playing European ball)
Do you think Stef is being told she has to play regardless of the pain and/or damage to her long term? I think she WANTS to play.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
OK - so which athletes are supposed to get "paid"? All sports where ANY injury can occur? What about any other of the others in any performing arts?
I said above - if they ONLY want to get paid, then just skip college and go pro. I'm not aware that that option is not available NOW. (I know, I know the WNBA has restrictions but last I knew, those same restrictions don't exist playing European ball)
Do you think Stef is being told she has to play regardless of the pain and/or damage to her long term? I think she WANTS to play.

Only the sports that make big money (where players have a chance to make enormous financial windfalls in the professional ranks). If you generate substantial money for the university, you should partake. There are a few individual cases in other sports that could be considered on their own merit.

And on your bold point, it doesn't work for the NBA or the NFL. NFL states you have to be graduated from highschool for at least 3 years. There's no acceptable alternative to college. The Canadian football league? Not even the same game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom