Rich: Banks And Stokes Earn Mixed Reviews | The Boneyard

Rich: Banks And Stokes Earn Mixed Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I'm loving this comments by Geno:

“And then the other one (Stokes) … She’s a head-scratcher the other one. You watch her shoot and rebound and stick it back up, get another rebound and stick it back up. She’s got a great touch around the basket. When she was out here with Stefanie (Dolson) one day she must have made 30 out of 35 3s. The kid’s got an unbelievable amount of talent. We’ve just kind of got to kind of get her to understand that because she’s going to be really good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The upside on Kiah looks very high.

Another 3-point shooter? :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i can't believe he meant to say "30 out of 35 3's". that's just a sick amount of talent if she can shoot like that, especially being a post player.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

Patience, folks, patience.

We have had one exhibition game.

From high school ball to elite Division 1 is a very large jump.

Kiah and BB will do just fine this year; and they will be big contributors to UCWBB in both the near and distant future.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I know Geno is doing the right thing in razzing BBanks, telling her to go ahead and do what she can do, but I actually liked her performance in game 1. I like having someone who--though uber-gifted from a physical standpoint (speed)--wanted to lay back and defer a little bit in what was her very first outing, while working hard on the defensive end. I'm sick of players in so many sports that just want to grab the spotlight and show how great they are every second they're in a game. It's a mark of insecurity.

I'm sure when Banks decides to get more aggressive and turn on the jets, it will get GA's attention :D Can't wait to see her in the next few games. And I wonder how much PT she will get against Stanford? That will be the first real dose of elite competition for the freshmen, but I don't think there's anyone on that team who can stop her from getting to the basket if she picks her spots. The O sisters are very quick on help, however, and would make her work for it at least....

Reaction Score
I was at the game, so here are my early impressions.

Banks: holy [expletive], she can D up. She's as quick and more athletic than Hayes, and her handle is very, very good. On offense, her jumper looks smooth coming out of her hand, but, like many freshmen, her shot will likely need some polish. I don't think she'll score a lot this year, but she'll be a defensive menace and can spell some minutes at PG.

Stokes: smooth and athletic around the basket, but (again, like many freshmen) will need to be stronger with the ball in traffic. She seems to have a nose for the ball as far as offensive and rebounding is concerned. She didn't showcase her shooting, but her two FTs looked smooth.

KML is obviously the stud of this class, but Banks and Stokes look like they'll contribute some this year and be very good players going forward.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I was at the game, so here are my early impressions.

Banks: holy [expletive], she can D up. She's as quick and more athletic than Hayes, and her handle is very, very good. On offense, her jumper looks smooth coming out of her hand, but, like many freshmen, her shot will likely need some polish. I don't think she'll score a lot this year, but she'll be a defensive menace and can spell some minutes at PG.

Stokes: smooth and athletic around the basket, but (again, like many freshmen) will need to be stronger with the ball in traffic. She seems to have a nose for the ball as far as offensive and rebounding is concerned. She didn't showcase her shooting, but her two FTs looked smooth.

KML is obviously the stud of this class, but Banks and Stokes look like they'll contribute some this year and be very good players going forward.

Great to hear a first-hand account. Several of us watching on HuskyVision remarked that BBanks looked like she had steel springs for legs .... it seemed like it was almost effortless for her to stay in front of the ball-handler. (Granted, it was Assumption U.) She 'hops' side to side like a cat and doesn't need to cross her legs over *nearly* as often as--well, pretty much anyone I've ever seen. Keeping her base like that should make her really really difficult to beat off the dribble. You may be able to make a move but she'll still be all over you like a cheap suit.

You're obviously right about KML being the standout, but for me BBanks is the most fascinating player on the team. The first time she shows her spin move and drains a J, you'll hear the entire crowd go, "Ooooohhh...!!"

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Great to hear a first-hand account. Several of us watching on HuskyVision remarked that BBanks looked like she had steel springs for legs .... it seemed like it was almost effortless for her to stay in front of the ball-handler. (Granted, it was Assumption U.) She 'hops' side to side like a cat and doesn't need to cross her legs over *nearly* as often as--well, pretty much anyone I've ever seen. Keeping her base like that should make her really really difficult to beat off the dribble. You may be able to make a move but she'll still be all over you like a cheap suit.

You're obviously right about KML being the standout, but for me BBanks is the most fascinating player on the team. The first time she shows her spin move and drains a J, you'll hear the entire crowd go, "Ooooohhh...!!"

IIRC: Only Swin (of the TASS group) was a starter early in her freshman year.

Reaction Score
IIRC: Only Swin (of the TASS group) was a starter early in her freshman year.

My memory has Tamika Williams as the early starter. Williams, in fact, was Big East Freshman of the Year.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
My memory has Tamika Williams as the early starter. Williams, in fact, was Big East Freshman of the Year.
I don't think Tamika started as a frosh at all. Sue Bird did, until she tore her acl in practice after about 10 games. And Swin became a starter early in the season as well, but her minutes that year were down because of an injury as well. And Asjha was hanging back so Tamika was the most productive frosh.

Reaction Score
Swin started her frosh year from the beginning.

Geno commented: "I don't know I've ever had a player come in and demand to start [in terms of her effort] the way that Swin did."

Reaction Score
There does not seem to be any documentation online to support our contentions. You guys, however, are probably correct about Tamika Williams not starting as a freshman considering Coach Auriemma's longstanding record and desire to be better off the bench, and Ms Williams came in as the most heralded of the TASS Force.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Swin started her frosh year from the beginning.

Geno commented: "I don't know I've ever had a player come in and demand to start [in terms of her effort] the way that Swin did."

That's the quote I based my original IIRC comment on. Thanks for providing it.

The context ("the rest of the story") as I remember it -- was that Swin did start because she so impressed Geno every day with her extraordinary work ethic. In essence, she left Geno with no choice but to start her.

I can't be certain that she started in the very first game. But it was certainly close to that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If you say that minutes are earned and you have a player come in and out work every other player in the gym day in and day out then you pretty have to follow through.

Reaction Score
Stokes sounds like the fair golfer than play at much high level when he is playing with a low Handicaper. Why, the good golfer plays with poise and easy and make the other players more relaxed. She needs to play the same way no matter who is on the floor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stokes sounds like the fair golfer than play at much high level when he is playing with a low Handicaper. Why, the good golfer plays with poise and easy and make the other players more relaxed. She needs to play the same way no matter who is on the floor.
Absolutely. I would play golf with anyone and always found myself playing up our down to the competition. Watching the swing rhythm of good golfers was always helpful.

Reaction Score
Freshmen are Freshmen. Give them time. This is the reason why all 3 chose UCONN...to become better players. And they will be.

GO UCONN

Reaction Score
i can't believe he meant to say "30 out of 35 3's". that's just a sick amount of talent if she can shoot like that, especially being a post player.

I kept shaking my head:confused: Typo or Geno having some Geno fun:p

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
:pApparently had you seeing double, too.:p

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I kept shaking my head:confused: Typo or Geno having some Geno fun:p
30 out of 35 is Kaleena-like shooting. Based on European box scores from this summer, Kiah may have made 35 out of 30. :)

Reaction Score

+1 I have never seen anyone move their feet that fast on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom