Rhody. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rhody.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a good recruiter, but he’s not the best game coach out there. I think we could do better.
I do not think so and in fact, Uconn would be lucky to do so well. The only better Uconn might be able to do is maybe Crean.

pj

Reaction Score
If there are no sanctions we should be in good shape. If sanctions (or worse, uncertainty with an expectation of future sanctions), who knows.

Reaction Score
If there are no sanctions we should be in good shape. If sanctions (or worse, uncertainty with an expectation of future sanctions), who knows.

uncertainty is what will kill us. depending on what it is, Crean might start looking real good and even be a reach

Reaction Score
Hurley is a good recruiter, but he’s not the best game coach out there. I think we could do better.
He's a good recruiter and a very good defensive coach. He has a very consistent defensive profile and his defenses are always good. To me that shows that he has a plan. His defenses deny 3PA and smother teams on the perimeter, and have athletes inside to contest at the rim. Basically, they allow a lot of midrange shots, which percentage wise are the worst shots in basketball. It's a very statistically sound game plan, and it's worked for Hurley in defensive sets of all sizes. Hurley could definitely stand to improve his offensive approach. What's funny is that the Hurley brothers each excel on opposite ends of the game.

Not sure what options there are out there that are better coaches. Musselman may have him beat, but Hurley's east coast connections make him a better fit IMO.

Crean in my opinion is a non starter. He's basically the face of "good, but not good enough" and he is a meme of a person who manages to look stupid 24/7. Even if the latter doesn't really matter for basketball, it's uncanny. If all goes horribly, then sure, consider him. But I don't envision it getting to that point. Mark Titus is the man, but he has no connections to the program and basically has no insight to give in regards to the next UConn hire.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would probably have to shoot myself, but so many of you are obsessed with the top recruits why not give Jeff Capel a second chance. I realize he is there supposed coach in waiting.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He's a good recruiter and a very good defensive coach. He has a very consistent defensive profile and his defenses are always good. To me that shows that he has a plan. His defenses deny 3PA and smother teams on the perimeter, and have athletes inside to contest at the rim. Basically, they allow a lot of midrange shots, which percentage wise are the worst shots in basketball. It's a very statistically sound game plan, and it's worked for Hurley in defensive sets of all sizes. Hurley could definitely stand to improve his offensive approach. What's funny is that the Hurley brothers each excel on opposite ends of the game.

Not sure what options there are out there that are better coaches. Musselman may have him beat, but Hurley's east coast connections make him a better fit IMO.

Crean in my opinion is a non starter. He's basically the face of "good, but not good enough" and he is a meme of a person who manages to look stupid 24/7. Even if the latter doesn't really matter for basketball, it's uncanny. If all goes horribly, then sure, consider him. But I don't envision it getting to that point. Mark Titus is the man, but he has no connections to the program and basically has no insight to give in regards to the next UConn hire.
After having watched Rhody a lot the past few years this is a pretty good assessment. Defensively he gets his guys to play - but he’s like KO where he needs to recruit to his style.

Recruiting wise he is solid yes.

Offensively he does some things that make you scratch your head. He’s better than KO and can prove he can win, but I think it’ll take a lot to lure him from URI. I’m not sure if he’s the best fit.

Reaction Score
I think it’ll take a lot to lure him from URI.
It would take 1 phone call.
I’m not sure if he’s the best fit.
He doesn't have the highest upside (Musselman, who's a wonderful college coach, does), but he really is the best fit. Hurley sees UConn as a destination job. Musselman would see it as a stepping stone – and he doesn't have local recruiting connections anyway.

Reaction Score
Good article in today's NY Post about Hurley and his style.

As Rhode Island has become a mid-major power, Hurley’s stock has risen. Rutgers twice came after him. He was reportedly in the mix for the Georgetown job that went to Patrick Ewing. Some believe UConn could be a landing spot.

A source close to the Hurley family said he’s in no hurry to go elsewhere, and he will be picky. In his next job, he wants a place he can compete for Final Fours and annually land four- and five-star recruits, the source said.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/27/danny-hurleys-a-monster-and-rhode-island-is-the-beneficiary/

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
After reading that article, it appears he would be the perfect fit. Seems to have a little JC in him, in terms of holding players accountable , keeping them focused, and being a little over the top crazy.

Reaction Score
Glad we r finally beginning to debate Hurley's coaching abilities. He is no messiah like some people here think

Reaction Score
Hurley and Chris Beard have some similar coaching DNA in terms of personality and focus on defensive principals. Both are just tireless workers.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Glad we r finally beginning to debate Hurley's coaching abilities. He is no messiah like some people here think

Where is this messiah you speak of? Be happy to have him.

Reaction Score
Where is this messiah you speak of? Be happy to have him.
Kevin Ollie with Akinjo, Wilson, Gilbert, Carlton, whaley and hopeflly Adams is a lot better then what Hurley can bring. Cant believe that some people are getting excited about him. Hurley has not developed players in his 8 yrs of head coaching. He should be dominating in the lower mid majors and he has not in eight yrs. I just cant believe how much we overrate him on this board

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie with Akinjo, Wilson, Gilbert, Carlton, whaley and hopeflly Adams is a lot better then what Hurley can bring. Cant believe that some people are getting excited about him. Hurley has not developed players in his 8 yrs of head coaching. He should be dominating in the lower mid majors and he has not in eight yrs. I just cant believe how much we overrate him on this board
You’re on your own planet

Reaction Score
Hurley and Chris Beard have some similar coaching DNA in terms of personality and focus on defensive principals. Both are just tireless workers.
Chris Beard or Chris Mack would be my dream choices out of young college coaches.

Bryce Drew looks like the next great recruiter, but I’m less sold on his Xs and Os.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Chris Beard or Chris Mack would be my dream choices out of young college coaches.

Scott Drew looks like the next great recruiter, but I’m less sold on his Xs and Os.

Bryce?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom