Rhode Island Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Rhode Island Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
He was also a great athlete. That doesn't hurt.
Yes, but so is Samson. I was writing determination but only deter showed up. Rodman was relentless and determined and knew the angles. Johnson doesn't have the experience Rodman had and may not be relentness enough to get position and do whatever he needs to do to block out and get the rebounds.

Reaction Score
Just a tidbit. We played a couple possessions with NONE of our listed guards on the court. No Diarra, No Ball, No Mahaney, and No Nowell. Hurley is very purposeful on what he does and considered this scrimmage as important time to the point that he was saying he even wanted Tom Moore to negotiate allowing the coaches to stop the game at times to instruct players. I wonder if there is a particular circumstance he has in mind to prepare for
Duke in the Final Four with all their size?

Reaction Score
Not counting guys from Duke and UK which always have multiple 5*s coming off the bench, there have been 24 Freshmen lotto picks over the last 5 Years and 0 came off the bench.
What are the numbers with two time defending champions? My point being, that saying Indiana would never not start a Frosh lottery pick really isn’t relevant to us. But since you excluded the two schools that have the most freshman lottery picks, you’ve already decided the answer before you asked the question

Reaction Score
1 reb from Samson even after putting on 20 lbs is very concerning but I love that Reed grabbed 10. If Samson starts I think it has to be a 20/20 timeshare give or take based on foul trouble or we’re gonna get killed on the defensive glass
It's not a weight/strength thing, it's an instincts thing and Johnson, bluntly, doesn't have them. It was a bit unrealistic to expect him to take a leap in that area in a few months.

Reaction Score
So many good observations already posted on this game.

One thing that stood out to me was how excited, upbeat and positive the vibes were from the bench. When players came off the floor it looked like the last minute of the NC game with all the smiles and high fives. Maybe it's because so many got to play meaningful minutes but more likely the culture DH has developed.

Also, to reiterate on rebounding and defense, it was so obvious tonight how much DC controlled the games last year when you see how clogged the lane was when Rhody was on offense in the first half. It often looked like all five of their players were in the lane and our guards had a lot of fouls they wouldn't have had last year because they didn't have to reach in against guys who got around them on their drives to the basket with DC there to block or alter the shots.

Reaction Score
Warms my heart to see all the Solo love. Welcome to the bandwagon people!

As we all see though Mahoney is great too. Solo just looked like that good of a player which is impressive because they looked like the best two on the team tonight.

Maybe I’m misremembering but I thought the controversial take was “ Solo is a point guard” and not “Solo is good” - there was more off-season buzz with him than anybody else.

I think we also see why we are trying to land both Adams and Mullins.

Reaction Score
I said in the summer Solo Ball would be starting. Too much raw talent.
He has plenty of raw talent. The question is whether that talent can operate within a Dan Hurley team system. It didn't last year. Last night looked pretty good.

Reaction Score
It won’t be as good. The defense in the tournament was epic. This team doesn’t have that defensive ceiling. It probably doesn’t have the ceiling of the 2023 team either.

That said, it should be good enough for the offense to carry UConn most of the time. Remember UConn won each game in the tournament the last two years by double digits. There is wiggle room.
We're going to have to win more games this year like last year's game in the BET against St. John's. Fortunately, we appear capable.

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m misremembering but I thought the controversial take was “ Solo is a point guard” and not “Solo is good” - there was more off-season buzz with him than anybody else.

I think we also see why we are trying to land both Adams and Mullins.
Yep, he's making that up. I've been incredibly high on Solo as have many/most boneyarders we just don't agree with HuskyWarrior that he should be our point guard.

Reaction Score
We're going to have to win more games this year like last year's game in the BET against St. John's. Fortunately, we appear capable.
It's going to be our best offensive team, best shooting team, and deepest team yet. Won't have the same lockdown abilities with Clingan and Castle gone. Won't have the two headed Sanogo Clingan monster. This team will win as an offensive juggernaut and the defense and rebounding will get better as they get more comfortable.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game yet and I certainly don't know if we can win the NC again. But coming off back-to-back NCs it does sound like DH has put together a very solid team. Better than anyone can reasonably expect. Looking forward to seeing where we end up.

awy

Reaction Score
wonder if isaiah is 'nicked up' and that's why he didn't play a bunch. he's another source of athleticism and defense on this roster.

Reaction Score
It's going to be our best offensive team, best shooting team, and deepest team yet. Won't have the same lockdown abilities with Clingan and Castle gone. Won't have the two headed Sanogo Clingan monster. This team will win as an offensive juggernaut and the defense and rebounding will get better as they get more comfortable.
I’d expect some games this year with the lackluster first halves into second half runways. The two major advantages this team has is shooting and depth. Goal for this team will likely be to keep opposing teams in the low 70s, as opposed to the 60s like last year. I could see stats like steals, transition points and 3s up this year. UConn was not great 3pt shooting team last year at 84th % in the country, and 76th in 3s made. Unlikely to be the juggernaut like last year, which was so efficient on offense and could clamp down defensively, dominating both ends. This team could boat race when hot, but also leave a lot of teams in it due to the defensive end when cold.

Wondering if Hurley moves a bit to the Oats model this year, which is typically top ten in 3s made/game. Personnel this year looks a lot more like the typical Oats team without the classic big 5.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He has plenty of raw talent. The question is whether that talent can operate within a Dan Hurley team system. It didn't last year.
I thought he fit in just fine when he started the first 12 games. He struggled a bit coming off the bench but that's not a concern now.

awy

Reaction Score
uconn was up there in 3's if you look at pace adjusted stat. it's just that they ran very deep and time consuming sets and didn't focus on the quick transition 3 like some of the more track meet teams.

i do think they are attempting to play more like alabama on offense this year but with better defense. but they should still have the advantage of creating easy at the rim conversions in the half court with the unmatched set plays. if it works out well it'll be a rather explosive offense with the ability to lower the variance that may sink an exclusively 3 reliant team with well executed sets in the half court.

Reaction Score
Situationally maybe - what if AK picks up fouls early vs Diarra. I mean if all being even and no starter is needing to come out, the rotation is bigger in the front court than the back. Maheney was especially good shooting last night. Liam struggled a little on D but hey, first game.
I don't think Ross would be the first guy off the bench no matter who picked up the foul. Mahaney would be the first sub for either Diarra or Ball, Stewart for McNeeley or Karaban, and Reed for Johnson. Ross will get some minutes but he's still behind a few guys

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing that we need to accept (this may be the third or fourth time I've posted something like this) is we will not be able to replicate last season's defense. I'm confident that DH will get this team playing as good a defense as they can but it is a given we won't be able to replace Clingan's defensive presence and it is highly unlikely that we will be able to fully replicate Castle's defensive presence. This does not mean we cannot win it all again, we will just need a bit of a different approach.

One thing I can see as a strong possibility is that with our depth, we can have the opponent gasping for air a couple times each half. We can still run complex offensive sets, requiring the opponent to try to match up, but we may be able to run them at a higher pace, forcing the defense to expel an inordinate amount of energy, wearing them out while we continue to swap players in and out of the lineup.

I'm looking forward to an interesting season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's how I see it. Don't be surprised if we break out a press and really start running and stressing other teams to take advantage of our depth. We won't be as good in half court defense. So maybe we play more full or 3/4 court defense. Guys like Ross can be a real pest playing that way.

Reaction Score
uconn was up there in 3's if you look at pace adjusted stat. it's just that they ran very deep and time consuming sets and didn't focus on the quick transition 3 like some of the more track meet teams.

i do think they are attempting to play more like alabama on offense this year but with better defense. but they should still have the advantage of creating easy at the rim conversions in the half court with the unmatched set plays. if it works out well it'll be a rather explosive offense with the ability to lower the variance that may sink an exclusively 3 reliant team with well executed sets in the half court.
Really good take - perhaps a mixed combo of the HC sets of last year, with the -12 second shot clock runs of Bama last year. With depth you have fresh legs that can get up the court and position to rebound on the offensive end. You can be sure they’re using analytics to strategize how they maximize the roster strengths.

Reaction Score
So yea, I admit to being a Samson Stan. So all the incessant complaining about his deficiencies irk me. Granted, I do agree with some of them. But in true internet message board fashion, I think it gets exaggerated.

What follows is a long post, but I am critically re-watching the game possession-by-possession for objective analyses of SJ criticism points. There;'s a TL/DR summary at the end for ADHD folks. I'll get to the rest of the game later.

Here's narrative summary of his first rotation (from 20:00 to 15:18). Note: O1, D1, etc is offensive possession #1, defensive possession #1, etc. RebO = having a legitimate opportunity for a rebound on the play.

O1-Comes out to 3pt line. Sets 3 screens, McNeeley drives & scores while SJ still at 3pt line. No RebO

D1-On JB. High-hedges. Recovers. Does effective seal-out of JB. 3pt shot from corner clanks opposite side long, Ball with RB. No RebO.

O2-Offensive set again takes SJ out high. Enters lane when Ball shoots [and hits] corner 3. JB boxes him out since already has position established. No RebO

D2-Picks up JB at foul line. JB gets position on left side, seals. SJ re-establishes position between JB & basket. Ball reverses & play stops (? Kick ball or foul…announcers never say). Inbounds play…pass goes to JB at FT line. He passes off , rest of play SJ/JB are inconsequential. URI makes the shot. No RebO

O3-SJ set 2 high screens including the 1 that frees AK for a made 3. No RebO

D3-SJ sets up guarding JB on the blocks. Diarra steals pass at top of key. Takes it to hoop for a layup.

D4-URI pushes pace. Guard beats McNeeley down court for a layup. SJ hustles back, alters shot/may have gotten a finger on ball to block shot, missed layup URI. SJ momentum takes him under hoop, JB cleans up rebound. McNeeley fouls JB on putback. JB makes 1st FT, misses 2nd. SJ boxes out on left side OK, McNeeley gathers miss on right side. No RebO

O4-Classic beautiful UConn set, SJ sets a couple high screens, then PnR, SJ open, but Diarra lob is right over the hoop; SJ can’t dunk it without committing a goaltend.

D5-URI pushes pace after missed lob. SJ has to recover from under hoop; is ~5 yds behind all players, URI sets at top of key; McNeeley is under hoop. Left side has 2 open URI players at 3pt line. SJ runs out to cover one. JB flashes from FT line to hoop; SB rotates down to cover him (setting up a mismatch). SJ guards URI player in corner; he lobs it into JB, who gets fouled on the layup attempt by Diarra who rotates down to help SB. Nothing SJ does wrong here. JB makes the And-1. No RebO.

O5-Set starts. SJ sets effective screen at FT line to free McNeeley who misses 3pt attempt. SJ naturally out of good Reb position due to setting the screen. Reb goes left. SB grabs it and puts it back for the make. No RebO.

D6-SJ effectively battles with JB underneath. Play rotates from left to right. Shot goes up from left. SJ boxes out JB. Both are slightly left-center, a couple feet from the rim. Purists would say it may have been a little weak box-out technique-wise. Rebound goes left-baseline though, and Ball secures the RB. No RebO.

O6-SB pushes pace, SJ and JB come up court behind SB. SJ goes to left corner of FT line (to establish position for offensive set). SB hucks up a quick 3. JB naturally has position on SJ. He seals SJ. Another URI player gets the rebound. No RebO.

D7-URI player drives from top of key left side, gets a step on AK. SJ comes off JB to try and block the layup. Alters shot, it misses, but JB is left open to get Reb since SJ came to help. JB is fouled on the putback attempt by Diarra. No RebO. Could maybe quibble about if SJ should have leaked off JB to help. But I’m not a UConn coach so I don’t know what SJ should do there. JB makes both FTs.

O7-SJ starts high in the set. Gets ball, dishes to Mahaney, flashes down lane, is open for alley-oop but Mahaney misses opportunity. Ball reverses to right, Karaban shoots a 3. SJ is on the left block after curling around after his flash to the hoop. JB comes over to box out. SJ side-steps him, but stays behind him (probably not a bad thing since 3s usually miss long. Rebound goes high and long to the left FT line. Both SJ and Solo go after the Reb, both get a hand on it, it gets bounced on the floor. A 50/50 ball, URI player gets it, McNeeley strips it, SB recovers, and dishes to AK for the easy layup. SJ in position to get a Reb but he & Ball both deflect it (and it stays alive). RebO but no Reb, but play stays alive.

D8-JB gets good position down low with SJ on his back. Entry pass from FT line. JB pivots, goes right drop step. SJ contests, doesn’t foul, JB makes tough contested layup. No RebO, of course.

O8-Standard set. SJ sets a couple of FT line screens, flashes under hoop, goes to right side. SB drives around Mahaney into lane, pulls up and makes the jumper. JB stays on SJ on right side to keep lane open for the drive. No RebO.

D9-SJ & JB start down low. JB flashed up to 3pt line. Two URI guards on right side. JB looks to be setting a screen. SJ looks like he may have been anticipating this and sets his defense back-right of JB. But JB immediately cuts to the hoop. SJ in bad position. Kudos to JB and the URI set need to be made though. AK rotates over to guard JB, who receives the pass on the right block. SJ rotates down to double-team. JB could have been called for a travel, but instead a foul is called. Honestly, could have been called on either AK or SJ. Not sure who got called (think it was SJ), announcers didn’t say and then it went to commercial break.

TL/DR: What are the BY’s biggest beefs about SJ?

“Fouls too much!” - Welp, he made a ton of nice screens, played a lot of decent/adequate post defense, and got called for 1 questionable foul.

“Doesn’t Rebound” - Technically true, but his role in offensive sets often clearly puts him in no position/bad position to rebound. The one legitimate opportunity he had, he was there (with SB), and both tipped it away from each other. Both teams also made a ton of shots in this first 5min stretch…not many legit opportunities to grab rebounds.

“Only Dunks” – In this 5minute stretch, technically true, but he did not have any opportunities to legitimately do anything to take a post shot/jumper the way the offensive possessions went.

“High Hedges too much and gets burned on it and it ruins the defense” – Nope, didn’t happen in the first 5min.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom