Rhode Island Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Rhode Island Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
We were hacking. Just like practice. I like the aggressiveness.
I didn't have a problem with most of the whistles against us but there were a good handful of no -calls that Rhody should've been whistled on.

Reaction Score
This team has two starting 5s

Diarra-Ball-McNeeley-Karaban-Reed
Mahaney-Ross-Stewart-Abraham-Johnson

That second 5 could make the tournament. Playing against the Huskies this year will be like standing on the shore of a hurricane, it will be forceful wave after wave after wave.

We will tire you, we will wear you down, we will break past you, we will wash you away

Reaction Score
Really nice to see the guy backs on the court. They got a taste of live bullets in front of a large crowd. That is always helpful even though both sides were sloppy.The real value is that Hurley gets a chance to do a little eval on everyone. I'm pretty sure he was NOT pleased with the number of offensive rebounds URI got.

That said, this game was essentially meaningless. A sample size of one. Drawing any conclusions of the performance of the team or individuals is spotty at best. I enjoyed watching Hurley. The first half play must have been driving him crazy but he didn't betray it on the sideline and he still managed to give the crowd a Hurley moment. Onward.

awy

Reaction Score
it's one exhibition game but kind of significant that they've increased the pace drastically over last couple of years. a lot more quick strikes for threes and cuts. combined with a deep rotation it's shaping up to be a very different looking team with fresh guys coming in to run the other team off of the floor constantly.

the distinction between starting or not won't matter as much as how each unit play with each other. pod racing team.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure that's gonna be different this year is interior play. We've been spoiled the last few years with Sanogo (wrecking ball on offense) and Clingan (erasing everything inside) anchoring the inside. While our post play was a huge positive the last few years, I think this season Reed, Samson, and Singare just need to shoot par. Don't need hero ball from the 5 spot, just solid interior play. Our strength looks like our guards and wings along with insane depth. Our big men just need to do typical big men stuff...we don't need replacement Sanogo/Clingan-caliber play.

Reaction Score
Haven’t seen the game yet but my question is about the defense which was the reason we shut teams like Purdue down and built big leads. Will this team have that capability by year end? Scoring droughts happen but we have 2 titles under Hurley starting with D and that has always been his focus.
That’s impossible. Clingan is a unique defensive force that you can’t replicate with another player. It wasn’t a system that caused the defense to be that good.

Reaction Score
It will if Reed can play into the majority minutes. Samson just isn’t the guy, unfortunately. He can’t even do basic 5 things consistently, like defensive rebound. Just doesn’t have the body type to hip check with solid bigs, lacks leverage in his lower half. Given the strength of the 1-4 offensively, we just need a guy that can anchor the paint, swallow up rebounds and make it challenging for the opposing team to take it to the rim. The offense would be gravy.
Samson's rebounding and foul rate are major concerns, he has his deficiencies as a player but he's also the best lob threat in the country.

My starting lineup has always been Mahaney, Ball, McNeeley, Karaban, Reed.

We're more athletic with Hass and Samson starting but I still like the change of pace with them coming off the bench. Hass being a bulldog and Samson catching lobs. What we lose in athleticism and defense with that starting 5 we gain in offense. I don't think teams can keep up with the offense that lineup would bring. Our depth is insane though, basically all these guys would be starting anywhere else.

Reaction Score
Reed looked a little lost in the first half. Tough to know his timeline to put it together but he was better in the second half. You can see the potential.
The 5 is a bit of a concern. Hi can see situations where both are Big’s are overmatched.
Don’t laugh but I can see situations where we play Singare and another Big at the 4 He showed some hustle at garbage time .
Reed did make a nice pass at one point

Reaction Score
Samson's rebounding and foul rate are major concerns, he has his deficiencies as a player but he's also the best lob threat in the country.

We're more athletic with Hass and Samson starting but I still like the change of pace with them coming off the bench. Hass being a bulldog and Samson catching lobs. What we lose in athleticism and defense with that starting 5 we gain in offense. I don't think teams can keep up with the offense that lineup would bring. Our depth is insane though, basically all these guys would be starting anywhere else.

This would be my lineup, too... Hass played fine last night but I love what he brings as a bench guy.

Reaction Score

I think Mahaney as a spark off the bench, getting ~25 mins per game is our best option. Hassan is steady, a very good passer, usually a pest on defense, and a good finisher at the rim. He’s definitely earned being a starter. Perimeter D may be our biggest challenge, and he is a better initial tone setter.

Samson is gonna have to learn quick, there are a lot of good bigs in the BE, and he will need to be a lot better than he was last night. Reed was really rough in the first half but a lot better in the 2nd. I think he wants to be a hub on offense as a passer when that is just not his game. When he realized that, he did a lot better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Singare came in and had 3 plays in a row, gotta love that. He went for a fourth and fouled but you have to love the hustle
That sequence was the best he has looked so far. He still seems like he's buried on the bench, but it sure look like he can contribute

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They have Samson playing defense with the huge high hedge like Whaley did, and he does have an impact making it tough for opponent guards to create, but it also means our defense has to defend with no big in the paint until samson gets back in position. Diarra picked up 2 early fouls trying to battle underneath with the post vacated, and in many games that won't be helpful. I think it also contributes to lousy defensive rebounding numbers by Polley, Samson. Alternatively, Brown overpowered him playing straight up so that may not be the answer either. It is tough to ignore that Samson gives you speed, his high hedge can be disruptive, he gets 6-8 points on great dunks, but then just can't play low post defense against true centers, isn't a reliable every game rebounder, and, is only a modest rim protector. (I'll have to rewatch how he got credited with 4 blocks this time out). Importantly, Reed played 18 min and got 10 rb with ZERO fouls. Hurley doesn't have to distribute minutes between the centers. The refs are going to take care of that.

As an aside, Singare couldn't have done more in TWO minutes. 4 points, 2 rbs, 1 assist, and a block, and the Rbs were on both ends and the scoring was 2-2.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The only area that wasn't really exposed was how UConn can defend vs a high quality PG. URI doesn't seem to have a true PG. I'm sure HD and SB can put effective pressure on good to elite PGs but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
The two are not directly related. He will or will not be a lottery pick based on how well he’s projected to help an NBA team a few years out. He will or won’t get starters minutes based on whether he helps us win games this year.
Not counting guys from Duke and UK which always have multiple 5*s coming off the bench, there have been 24 Freshmen lotto picks over the last 5 Years and 0 came off the bench.

Reaction Score
That sequence was the best. He looked so far. He still seems like he's buried on the bench, but it sure look like he can contribute
There's gonna be a handful of games where Samson and Reed both get in foul trouble, and Singare will need to step up for at least a few minutes. And who knows, if he really improves, he may get some regular PT.

Reaction Score
They have Samson playing defense with the huge high hedge like Whaley did, and he does have an impact making it tough for opponent guards to create, but it also means our defense has to defend with no big in the paint until samson gets back in position.

This makes more sense with a big like Akok or even a Bundalo to back you up in the paint. Less so with any of our current options at the 4.

I would have Samson do the same thing; he's a big time disruptor on the perimeter and isn't going to defend a post-up well enough to park him there like DC. But his timing and communication with his teammates on the hedge needs to better than it was last year if it's going to be a viable base defense for us. Time to get in the film room.

Reaction Score
I agree with you but very few teams could be blessed with a 7'2" rim protector. We might see a lot of fouls out of our bigs this year for sure but after watching last night you never know we might even have 3 big boys to throw out there if needed. Last night, I think that I counted about 3 uncontested shots, and we all know how much DH hates that!
I'm not so worried about the defensive end. As you said, worse case, we have 15 fouls to give to play good tough defense inside and on the break and to rebound effectively.

I'm much more worried at the offense productivity at the 5. If we dont get much, teams will start cheating and cover tight on the perimeter, which interrupts the flow that Danny wants to achieve.

CL82

Reaction Score
Did Abraham get in the game at all? I don't remember seeing him. Maybe with Singare?

CL82

Reaction Score
I still don’t know why Samson this deep in gets caught so far out in the hedge leaving the lane wide open. It kills us defensively and in rebounding. He had zero defensive rebounds in 20 minutes.
Chief?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom