Reyes signing | The Boneyard

Reyes signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So the Mets never even discussed an extension with Reyes during the season?
They assumed failure and that's what they got. Time for team to be sold to a new owner, it ain't working and unfair to players and fans especially for a team in a market like NY to not be able to compete. They desperately need a new group to come in, ironically one like the Sox got would be ideal.

Reaction Score
The Mets are between a rock and hard place. The Wilpons' well-publicized financial problems are certainly hurting the team. In that light - they had a losing record with Reyes, and a $100+ mm contract would be pretty hard to swallow. In hindsight, they probably should have traded him for some top prospects last summer. If I were Alderson, I'd be on the phone w/ Brian Cashman looking for a bushel of top prospects for Santana, starting with Banuelos and Betances.

Reaction Score
What do you mean hindsight, The Madoff debacle happened 3 years ago? The Mets knew they couldn't afford Reyes AND he told them to not make offers. They should have and could have traded Reyes at the deadline (no discernible impact on gate receipts at that point and 2011 salary was essentially pd) unless they concluded that the compensation was better than the trade value. I agree they now need to go total youth and load up on prospects. Unfortunately trading Santana hurts their bottom line though as he's the ONLY reason to buy a ticket in 2012.

Reaction Score
If I were Alderson, I'd be on the phone w/ Brian Cashman looking for a bushel of top prospects for Santana, starting with Banuelos and Betances.

Cashman would laugh in his face and hang up. Santana is making 23 million coming off a major injury and the Mets manager recently said he wouldn't regain his 95 MPH fastball.

Reaction Score
Cashman would laugh in his face and hang up. Santana is making 23 million coming off a major injury and the Mets manager recently said he wouldn't regain his 95 MPH fastball.

I said if I were Alderson, I'd call Cashman. I didn't say NY would want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom