Reviving PONs for Marquette | The Boneyard

Reviving PONs for Marquette

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
First, a little historical background for PONs (Pointing Out the Negatives). From 2005-2008 UConn went through a slump (a much greater slump than the past four years) in which we did not even reach the FF for three of those years. (Oh, the horror!) Then, like the sun blazing through the mists after a torrential rain, the light returned to our program with Montgomery, Charles and Moore. Add in a few extras like Hayes, Doty, McLaren and even role players like Gardler and the board turned into an unbearable bastion of positivity as we witnessed beautiful basketball. (FYI: there will be no emoticons used with PONs, but hopefully you will fathom the tongue-in-cheek nature as we proceed.)

I won't say we are on that level quite yet, but I'm afraid we are heading in that direction. It won't be long until the majority of BY posters turn into @Tonyc . I can't stand it. So to provide a little balance I revive for now something I did briefly during the Moore years, Pointing Out the Negatives we are overlooking in our overly optimistic outlook.

1. Did you see the play where Bueckers picked up her first foul? Shades of Seton Hall! If you recall that game Bueckers did a pretty good job of keeping Park Lane from blowing by her, but only by fouling her whenever she was about to get by. So here we are late in the season and Bueckers is still using the swat a shot blocking technique on a driving opponent. Has she not learned anything during the season? How can we expect to compete unless Bueckers becomes an elite shot blocker?

2. Pick and roll. Pick and roll. Pick and roll. Good Lord, I thought Auriemma was supposed to be some kind of mastermind. Talk about relying on trite, old school plays. It's obvious Auriemma has lost his ability as an offensive strategist.

3. Did you notice Muhl often pointing to her teammates to go places? It was bad enough that Bueckers was doing that as a freshman, now there are two "head chefs" out there. As we all know, too many cooks spoil the broth. The bad chemistry that will result from the Buecker-Muhl tandem is a given.

4. Did I see a match-up zone out there at one point? (Disclaimer: @CocoHusky , @BobbyJ , @HopJim and a few others are much more observant of these things than I am. I'll defer to them if there was not a match up zone being employed). I mean, you actually have to communicate for a match up zone to be successful. That's just not possible with 3-4 freshman playing at one time. Our defense is turning into a desperate endeavor.

5. I used to think Auriemma was a good sport, only sticking it to the opponent in rare occasions, like Moore's 40 point performance against Syracuse. Yet here was Muhl, who had played the second most minutes and was our second best player in the game, being kept in the line-up right up until the end. I realize Coach Duffy used to play for Notre Dame but come on now! Show a little class Auriemma and take players like Muhl out at the end of these blow out games.

That's all I have for now. Other observations are welcome.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Regarding the pick and roll, I remember the Minnesota Lynx coach observing that Geno had never used it as a basic part of the UConn offense, so she had to teach it to both Napheesa and Crystal since it is a basic part of what the Lynx and all WNBA teams do.

I suspect that Geno took note of that feedback and decided to incorporate more pick and roll in his offense, both because it is effective and because it enhances his players' preparation for pro basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don’t think that was a match up zone in the John Chaney (RIP) match up zone. It was a well executed zone defense where the cutters were handed off seamlessly. In both schemes communication is essential and as I have mentioned before AE Is an exceptional vocal organizer and communicator in that scheme.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Regarding the pick and roll, I remember the Minnesota Lynx coach observing that Geno had never used it as a basic part of the UConn offense, so she had to teach it to both Napheesa and Crystal since it is a basic part of what the Lynx and all WNBA teams do.

I suspect that Geno took note of that feedback and decided to incorporate more pick and roll in his offense, both because it is effective and because it enhances his players' preparation for pro basketball.
A couple things. First, yes the pick and roll is much simpler than UCONN's normal motion offense. (although lots of things can be incorporated into a motion offense - such as pick and roll, high/low post) Having so many young players who don't really know the motion offense intimately yet, using simpler things helps score. And another big thing is Bueckers and Muhl are both pretty adept at pick and roll. Just makes sense to use it more this year.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Don’t think that was a match up zone in the John Chaney (RIP) match up zone. It was a well executed zone defense where the cutters were handed off seamlessly. In both schemes communication is essential and as I have mentioned before AE Is an exceptional vocal organizer and communicator in that scheme.
I was going to bring up Chaney and ask why are we trying to emulate someone who is deceased, but decided that was a little over the top even for PONs.

Reaction Score
The foul that Paige committed was a push with her left forearm, she did not hit her at all with her right. Plus she only had one foul.
Two, if Geno doesn't like his
"point guards" directing his players , he would take them out.
The season has been shortened enough, he needs his players to get more game time, not less.
This is big time women's college basketball, there is no "ten run rule" so as not to hurt the other team's feelings.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The foul that Paige committed was a push with her left forearm, she did not hit her at all with her right. Plus she only had one foul.
Two, if Geno doesn't like his
"point guards" directing his players , he would take them out.
The season has been shortened enough, he needs his players to get more game time, not less.
This is big time women's college basketball, there is no "ten run rule" so as not to hurt the other team's feelings.
It appears you took this too seriously.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

:eek: Remarkable that Crystal and Napheesa were able to both be Rookie of the year without learning such a basic move in their time at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Only issue from last night, which has been an issue all season long, when CW ends up at the top of key with the ball the offense gets bogged down. She holds the ball too long before making a decision and more times than not that decision is away from Paige :-(

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Only issue from last night, which has been an issue all season long, when CW ends up at the top of key with the ball the offense gets bogged down. She holds the ball too long before making a decision and more times than not that decision is away from Paige :-(
My PONs posts are not to be taken seriously.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

That’s not what Reeve said. In talking about Dangerfield Reeve said that the pick and roll was not a featured part of UConn’s offense when Crystal was a senior (in games Reeve watched) which was true because Crystal did not have the teammates who were effective running it. I thought Crystal was most effective in running the P&R with Azure Stevens.

When Crystal was a freshman Rebecca Lobo commented that Geno told her Dangerfield was the best UConn PG at running the P&R during his time at UConn. He ran it with Danger when he had the players who were good at it.

I don’t recall Reeve saying Napheesa had to be taught the P&R. Napheesa was used in P&R situations with CD and with Lou. While it was never the primary offense at UConn, Geno has incorporated it when he’s had the right personnel.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If we are going to discuss PON’s then we have to talk about Paige’s glaring weakness. Right now Paige is shooting a better percentage from outside the arc than inside the arc. Clearly she is deficient the closer she gets to the basket. Paige should probably stop driving to the basket or shooting mid-range jumpers and simply spend all her time on the court roaming the perimeter just shooting 3’s.........:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
My Negative on the game is there were multiple times that Marquette was able to go on small runs to make the game more interesting. It never got dangerous as Marquette doesn't have the talent to sustain runs. Took their feet off the gas to many times.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
:eek: Remarkable that Crystal and Napheesa were able to both be Rookie of the year without learning such a basic move in their time at UCONN.
I was going to go further and note that it made Crystal a much more effective player....She is the ultimate pick and roll warrior.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
If we are going to discuss PON’s then we have to talk about Paige’s glaring weakness. Right now Paige is shooting a better percentage from outside the arc than inside the arc. Clearly she is deficient the closer she gets to the basket. Paige should probably stop driving to the basket or shooting mid-range jumpers and simply spend all her time on the court roaming the perimeter just shooting 3’s.........:rolleyes:
This is in the intended spirit of PONs: facetious posts not to be taken seriously. Just having a little fun, with a hint of commentary about glass half empty outlooks.

My Negative on the game is there were multiple times that Marquette was able to go on small runs to make the game more interesting. It never got dangerous as Marquette doesn't have the talent to sustain runs. Took their feet off the gas to many times.
This is not in the intended spirit of PONs. I present to you an image of me banging my head against the wall. This revival of PONs may be short lived.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is in the intended spirit of PONs: facetious posts not to be taken seriously. Just having a little fun, with a hint of commentary about glass half empty outlooks.

This is not in the intended spirit of PONs. I present to you an image of me banging my head against the wall. This revival of PONs may be short lived.
Good luck trying to get your message to this crowd...... :confused:

P.S. This is another facetious post......

Reaction Score

I had a bad feeling about this going south in a hurry and am not surprised that it was justified. ?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I had a bad feeling about this going south in a hurry and am not surprised that it was justified. ?
It worked pretty well before and after I stopped there were a few calls for it to continue. I guess folks do not take things as seriously during perfect seasons.

Reaction Score
Re: #5
Nika was playing mop up with 3 other freshmen and a high school girl. There weren’t any other subs available. Geno was as kind as he could be at that point.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
First, a little historical background for PONs (Pointing Out the Negatives). From 2005-2008 UConn went through a slump (a much greater slump than the past four years) in which we did not even reach the FF for three of those years. (Oh, the horror!) Then, like the sun blazing through the mists after a torrential rain, the light returned to our program with Montgomery, Charles and Moore. Add in a few extras like Hayes, Doty, McLaren and even role players like Gardler and the board turned into an unbearable bastion of positivity as we witnessed beautiful basketball. (FYI: there will be no emoticons used with PONs, but hopefully you will fathom the tongue-in-cheek nature as we proceed.)

I won't say we are on that level quite yet, but I'm afraid we are heading in that direction. It won't be long until the majority of BY posters turn into @Tonyc . I can't stand it. So to provide a little balance I revive for now something I did briefly during the Moore years, Pointing Out the Negatives we are overlooking in our overly optimistic outlook.

1. Did you see the play where Bueckers picked up her first foul? Shades of Seton Hall! If you recall that game Bueckers did a pretty good job of keeping Park Lane from blowing by her, but only by fouling her whenever she was about to get by. So here we are late in the season and Bueckers is still using the swat a shot blocking technique on a driving opponent. Has she not learned anything during the season? How can we expect to compete unless Bueckers becomes an elite shot blocker?

2. Pick and roll. Pick and roll. Pick and roll. Good Lord, I thought Auriemma was supposed to be some kind of mastermind. Talk about relying on trite, old school plays. It's obvious Auriemma has lost his ability as an offensive strategist.

3. Did you notice Muhl often pointing to her teammates to go places? It was bad enough that Bueckers was doing that as a freshman, now there are two "head chefs" out there. As we all know, too many cooks spoil the broth. The bad chemistry that will result from the Buecker-Muhl tandem is a given.

4. Did I see a match-up zone out there at one point? (Disclaimer: @CocoHusky , @BobbyJ , @HopJim and a few others are much more observant of these things than I am. I'll defer to them if there was not a match up zone being employed). I mean, you actually have to communicate for a match up zone to be successful. That's just not possible with 3-4 freshman playing at one time. Our defense is turning into a desperate endeavor.

5. I used to think Auriemma was a good sport, only sticking it to the opponent in rare occasions, like Moore's 40 point performance against Syracuse. Yet here was Muhl, who had played the second most minutes and was our second best player in the game, being kept in the line-up right up until the end. I realize Coach Duffy used to play for Notre Dame but come on now! Show a little class Auriemma and take players like Muhl out at the end of these blow out games.

That's all I have for now. Other observations are welcome.

The best guess I can come up with for half of the responses your OP has evoked is that, with memory fading into the ancient past (10 or so seconds ago) the connection between "tongue-in-cheek" and your "observations" is lost on some of your audience. ;^)

Nonetheless, I enjoyed them and hope you keep the technique in your quiver.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom