Revisiting the Molly vs. Mikayla Debate | The Boneyard

Revisiting the Molly vs. Mikayla Debate

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I said on this forum about a month ago that Geno seemed to have decided that Mikayla will be his third guard (first off the bench), and that Molly was second in line. At the time, I wondered if that was really the right decision, mainly because of Mikayla’s total lack of a jump shot.

Today’s game brings that question back to the surface, and I wonder if Geno himself is re-thinking his views on this subject. Today was probably Molly’s best game ever, and she was rewarded for her play with lots of minutes. Mikayla, however, did not play after the “all five bench players” episode in the first quarter, up until Crystal’s apparent injury very late in the game (which didn’t look too serious based on how she moved on the bench a few minutes later).

During the first-quarter episode, Mikayla tipped a couple of passes (reminding me of Gabby) that Molly could never have gotten to. On the other hand, Molly not only hit a 3 during that interval (and another one when she was playing with the starters in the second half), but she also got a couple of rebounds and made some very stylish passes for assists — the kind of passes that I have never seen Mikayla make successfully (or attempt very often).

Yes, Mikayla is faster (by a lot), can jump higher, plays equally intense defense but can defend faster players, and is just generally a lot more athletic. But that missing jump shot is a BIG shortcoming. Mikayla would never have attempted either of the 3-point shots that Molly (finally) took and made.
Overall, I would give the edge to Molly for the “third guard” role.

Really, though, it probably depends on which of them is playing better on a particular evening. It’s a close and somewhat vexing decision that Geno has to make.

Reaction Score
I think you are right, Joe. But don't forget, Mikyla missed almost all of last season. So she is like a freshman. Her outside shot, however, is not redeemable. She will never have that.

But Molly may have earned some advantage tonight.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Poor Mikayla does not seem to have any shot. Jump shot, outside shot, drive to the hoop without turning the ball over shot. I do not know what happened to her, and I am sure it is killing her. I hope they both get it together going forward. They both have much to offer, and also some flaws that must be corrected. Perhaps Molly turned her corner today. Hearing her interview, she is well aware of what coach wants her to do. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Poor Mikayla does not seem to have any shot. Jump shot, outside shot, drive to the hoop without turning the ball over shot. I do not know what happened to her, and I am sure it is killing her. I hope they both get it together going forward. They both have much to offer, and also some flaws that must be corrected. Perhaps Molly turned her corner today. Hearing her interview, she is well aware of what coach wants her to do. :)
Funny thing is she supposedly spent all summer working on her shot. I'm not sure if it was video game basketball or not, but clearly, it did not translate to the basketball court...

Reaction Score
Molly, in Geno's mind, may have taken CW's starting spot, at least for the next game at Tulane! He started her in CW's spot to start the 2nd 1/2!
Hopefully Molly has now gained the confidence to add something to UCONN's season!
And CW, being a competitor will elevate her game to battle for her starting spot!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Molly, in Geno's mind, may have taken CW's starting spot, at least for the next game at Tulane! He started her in CW's spot to start the 2nd 1/2!
Hopefully Molly has now gained the confidence to add something to UCONN's season!
And CW, being a competitor will elevate her game to battle for her starting spot!

Imho, Geno is no where near doing that. Molly would need to show alot more consistency and CW would have to struggle alot more over a long period for something like that.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We’ll see in the next game how much game time Molly has earned.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While Molly’s performance yesterday was great to see, I am increasingly concerned about Mikayla. She is one of the best athletes on the team, and still plays solid defense. But on offense, if the ball happens to find Mikayla, she treats it like a hot potato, intent on getting rid of it to one of her teammates as fast as possible.

Mikayla has lost all confidence on offense, not only from outside, but when she drives to the basket lately, she has been throwing up some difficult underhanded floaters that have little chance of going in.

Mikayla was never a great outside shooter. But in HS she could make outside shots, set up her teammates and she was a beautiful finisher at the basket. Unfortunately, we’v seen little if any of those skills from Mikayla at UConn.

Reaction Score
We’ll see in the next game how much game time Molly has earned.

Well Kyla didn't get any game time vs OU after scoring 6pts (2-3 FG 2-2 3FG) 2 Reb 3 Ast 2 Stl in 29 mins vs Seton Hall.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well Kyla didn't get any game time vs OU after scoring 6pts (2-3 FG 2-2 3FG) 2 Reb 3 Ast 2 Stl in 29 mins vs Seton Hall.

Well I can't read Geno's mind and neither can anyone. Molly's perforance may earn her more game play or not. Next game will tell us something about who Geno's trusts. So I ask you - what's your point?

Reaction Score
Well I can't read Geno's mind and neither can anyone. Molly's perforance may earn her more game play or not. Next game will tell us something about who Geno's trusts. So I ask you - what's your point?

My point, is I thought Kyla had earned more minutes by her performances while Meg was out but it didn't come to fruition. I thought it was a fair comparison to set realistic expectations.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Molly played well yesterday but she is a long way... from challenging Crystal for a starting spot.
Molly's next step is a described by @JoePgh securing the 3rd guard spot and becoming a regular part of
rotation- same spot Molly's been in for three years now.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Molly played well yesterday but she is a long way... from challenging Crystal for a starting spot.
Molly's next step is a described by @JoePgh securing the 3rd guard spot and becoming a regular part of
rotation- same spot Molly's been in for three years now.
CoCo, he said CW not CD. Anyway, Geno stated he was not going to replace CW because of that one game. I've always like Molly. She seems to be fundamentally sound and plays good defense. If she maximizes her talent she will become a valuable player at UConn even if is not as a starter. I feel the same way about Kyla. I believe they both will be valuable contributors next season and maybe by the end of this season if they continue to get opportunities and produce to Geno's standards. Mikayla, I believe, will eventually "get it" and become a very good player her final two seasons.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CoCo, he said CW not CD. Anyway, Geno stated he was not going to replace CW because of that one game. I've always like Molly. She seems to be fundamentally sound and plays good defense. If she maximizes her talent she will become a valuable player at UConn even if is not as a starter. I feel the same way about Kyla. I believe they both will be valuable contributors next season and maybe by the end of this season if they continue to get opportunities and produce to Geno's standards. Mikayla, I believe, will eventually "get it" and become a very good player her final two seasons.
My bad on the CD vs CW but I'd still say the same thing: "Molly played well yesterday but she is a long way... from challenging Christyn for a starting spot"

Reaction Score
No one is changing the starting five. You may disabuse ourselves of any such ideas, barring injury. Molly may be moving ahead of Mikayla, as a guard off the bench. In fact, I would think of that as a "done deal." Kyla Irwin is showing some moxie was well....her passing is noteworthy and consistently excellent and she can shoot, if given an open shot. Batouly is aggressive in a good way. She needs to better position herself under the hoop, I think. Olivia is a work in progress. A slow developing work in progress. I didn't realized that she missed a lot of her HS career ( in late years ) due to injury. So she is further behind than most of us were aware ( due to her name being associated with team USA under 18, or some such ).

However, when the pedal is put to the metal, it will be the starting five for 38 minutes plus. Each ( not accounting for foul trouble ).

Reaction Score
Funny thing is she supposedly spent all summer working on her shot. I'm not sure if it was video game basketball or not, but clearly, it did not translate to the basketball court...
It had to have been video. Truthfully, she is an out of control player on offense. Some nice potential is there....but she can't seem to right herself. She hasn't taken a quality shot of any kind in recent memory.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It had to have been video. Truthfully, she is an out of control player on offense. Some nice potential is there....but she can't seem to right herself. She hasn't taken a quality shot of any kind in recent memory.
Aside from the shooting mechanics which have been harped on Mikayla's other major liability in the UCONN offense is that she is a reluctant shooter from the deep wing or long corner. In the UCONN offense those are the shots that have to be taken because it impacts the UCONN floor balance, enables the defense to recover more easily, and messes up the timing of UCONN players to crash the offensive boards.
She is not the first UCONN guard that had to learn to take and make those shots at a reasonable clip. Kelly Faris, Moriah Jefferson, and Kia Nurse all improved their marksmanship form those spots and turned themselves from a liability into deadly shooters from those spots.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Aside from the shooting mechanics which have been harped on Mikayla's other major liability in the UCONN offense is that she is a reluctant shooter from the deep wing or long corner. In the UCONN offense those are the shots that have to be taken because it impacts the UCONN floor balance, enables the defense to recover more easily, and messes up the timing of UCONN players to crash the offensive boards.
She is not the first UCONN guard that had to learn to take and make those shots at a reasonable clip. Kelly Faris, Moriah Jefferson, and Kia Nurse all improved their marksmanship form those spots and turned themselves from a liability into deadly shooters from those spots.
Don't you think that deficient shooting mechanics and her being a reluctant shooter are closely related? Like maybe the former is the cause of the latter? If she fixes her mechanics (a tall order in mid-season), I think she will become less reluctant.

Reaction Score
I think you are right, Joe. But don't forget, Mikyla missed almost all of last season. So she is like a freshman. Her outside shot, however, is not redeemable. She will never have that.

But Molly may have earned some advantage tonight.
@Longtime fan; No argument; what brought you to the conclusion Coombs outside shot, however, is not redeemable or she'll never have that. What do you see that I don't??
Unless she had eye depth issues or physical deficiencies I would think nearly anyone can be taught to shoot even at a low percentage.

Reaction Score
One issue very quick/fast humans have is that that speed is also in the mind. Everything is speeded up. She needs to have one of the coaches, Jazmine?< spend time with her as she drives to the basket and slow that down in her brain. As to the long shots, why do I have to shoot the 3 when CW, MW, KLS, Napheesa do it so much better?? DEFERS. She does what she does best and defers the rest--FRESHMAN thinking. Geno knows her and uses what he can.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Mikayla will also.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't you think that deficient shooting mechanics and her being a reluctant shooter are closely related? Like maybe the former is the cause of the latter? If she fixes her mechanics (a tall order in mid-season), I think she will become less reluctant.
Absolutely.

Reaction Score

Geno participated in producing a video of fundamentals for pre high school girls. The "mechanics of shooting" were described in detail. Unless one is visually or physically challenged proper, or at least those Geno wants, mechanics I would think would be drilled into her Now this is one area ROTE works, if only to a degree. Superb shooters, I believe are born. I haven't seen enough of Coombs "mechanics" to make any assessment. This is not to be taken as argumentative: But: Are you picking this up at practices. ?? I respect you and your knowledge of the players and game--no insult intended.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't have anything to add about her offense, but Mikayla has shown the ability to be disruptive on defense. And Geno pointed out, she gets her hands on a lot of offensive rebounds.

One more thing: She is a whole notch ahead of everybody else regarding quickness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom