Revisiting 2018 College Basketball Coaching Hires | The Boneyard

Revisiting 2018 College Basketball Coaching Hires

Reaction Score
With the implosion of Louisville and laughing stock that is Memphis I was interested in looking back at who else was in Dan Hurley’s class and where he stacks up. When he was hired I was optimistic that he would emerge as one of the top coaches in his class that year but what I didn’t expect was that of the 6 coaches who took major jobs, that only two would still be around at the end of their 4th year. It’s pretty staggering.

Dan Hurley - .610 WP, 1 NCAA app (hopefully #2 this year), he has improved the record every season and his WP would probably be hire if he had had cleared the roster

Chris Mack - Louisville - .648 WP, 1 NCAA app, just lost his team and is about to be fired

Penny Hardaway - Memphis - .646. WP, 0 NCAA app, no coach has ever done less with more talent

Jeff Capel - Pitt - .444 WP, 0 NCAA app, just garbage in every way and in almost every scenario should be fired but who knows with Pitt

Tom Crean - Georgia - .422 WP, 0 NCAA app, also garbage but with better players and probably will be fired at the end of the season

Kermit Davis - Ole Miss - .545 WP, made the tourney his first year but has been progressively worse each season and will most likely finish under .500 this year

Travis Steele - Xavier - .615 WP, 0 NCAA app, has managed to keep his teams from imploding and this year should make the NCAA tourney

Looking at the list above I shudder to think of who we could have gotten if we didn’t get Hurley. Maybe we make a hard play at Oats?

Reaction Score
Oats would have been choice #1 if we struck out on Hurley, then probably Mussleman after that. I think we would have been great with all 3, but Hurley was definitely the best fit for us

Reaction Score
Kinda crazy there's only 2 NCAA appearances on the whole list (everybody lost 1 opportunity I guess, though, so out of 14 chances).

Reaction Score
I think his winning percentage would have been lower if he cleared the roster. Who was he going to bring in and play? I think were all happy that Whaley and Polley are still part of the program.

Loyalty, trust and family culture is why the program is where its at now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom