Revised Big East Projections as of 1/9/23 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Revised Big East Projections as of 1/9/23

Reaction Score
This is how KenPom has the difficulty order of our remaining games. At Creighton by far the hardest. Only 2 others less than 75% win odds.

As always, people underrate how hard winning on the road is. It's harder to win at #68 than home to #14.
It will be interesting to see how these predictions play out but to me this is not too much better than palm reading. KemPom had us at #1 in the country, we just lost 3 out of the 4 last games. A reality check would be if some of those surefire high % wins go south on us. Where would that leave KenPom which is touted here as the all knowing wizard.

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine us getting into the east unless it’s as the 1 seed.

placing us in the east as a lower seed would be a huge disservice to the 1 seed in that bracket (ala 2014)
we've been 2 in the east in the past several bracket projections i've seen, including espn's current projection. it also has ucla as 2 in the west and tenn as two in the south so it's not just us. i thought the 2 seeds also got some geographic preferential treatment.

Reaction Score
The Big East is improving per KenPom. Up to #3 while the ACC is heading toward a single digit rating . . .

1673542884309.png

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East is improving per KenPom. Up to #3 while the ACC is heading toward a single digit rating . . .

View attachment 82943

I did not expect that to happen after some of the Big East losses in mid-December. I don't know if KenPom excludes intra-conference games in this analysis. Either way, it looks like some of the teams the SEC played out of conference have done disproportionately bad once they started their own conference schedules.

I was going to do a bids-by-league analysis, but the Big 12 screws it up with its insanely strong NET ratings by team. It will make more sense if we wait a week or two.

Reaction Score
we've been 2 in the east in the past several bracket projections i've seen, including espn's current projection. it also has ucla as 2 in the west and tenn as two in the south so it's not just us. i thought the 2 seeds also got some geographic preferential treatment.
I may be completely making this up, but I seem to remember the top 4 seeds being referred to as "protected seeds," and that the protection referred to geographic proximity of the game venues to the schools.

Reaction Score
I may be completely making this up, but I seem to remember the top 4 seeds being referred to as "protected seeds," and that the protection referred to geographic proximity of the game venues to the schools.
Does this mean the top 4 seeds will get sorted accordingly on the S-curve so they can stay closer to home? Or does it mean you won't play a lower seed that is geographically friendly to the lower seed?

Reaction Score
Does this mean the top 4 seeds will get sorted accordingly on the S-curve so they can stay closer to home? Or does it mean you won't play a lower seed that is geographically friendly to the lower seed?
The concept in my mind most closely resembles your first scenario. I readily admit, however, that I don't know where it came from. I may have heard a knowledgeable writer or broadcaster say it, but it's equally likely that I heard someone say a few key words and I completely made up the details in my head.

Reaction Score

The concept in my mind most closely resembles your first scenario. I readily admit, however, that I don't know where it came from. I may have heard a knowledgeable writer or broadcaster say it, but it's equally likely that I heard someone say a few key words and I completely made up the details in my head.
It means we can't play another Big East team until the Sweet 16 and if we play any of them in the conference tournament it's protected until the Elite 8. Previously that applied to the top 3 teams in every conference but now is only for teams seeded 1-4.

1-4 seeds are also protected from a regional "road" game in round 1 but that's it. No protection given afterwards

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Creighton may go on a bit of a run the next few weeks. Their schedule definitely lightens up.

Reaction Score
I did not expect that to happen after some of the Big East losses in mid-December. I don't know if KenPom excludes intra-conference games in this analysis. Either way, it looks like some of the teams the SEC played out of conference have done disproportionately bad once they started their own conference schedules.

I was going to do a bids-by-league analysis, but the Big 12 screws it up with its insanely strong NET ratings by team. It will make more sense if we wait a week or two.
It's based on median team that would go .500 in the league. The distribution shape of the league has changed, much of which is probably due to us losing 3 games among other things. The distribution went from 1 really top team with a few mediocre teams to now 5 pretty good teams. More losses for a hypothetical median team.

Reaction Score
Remaining games, in order of difficulty:

Creighton (A)
Xavier (H)
Marquette (H)
Providence (H)
Seton Hall (A)
Villanova (A) - Villanova may have nothing to play for by this game
Seton Hall (H)
St. Johns (A)
St. Johns (H)
Depaul (A)
Butler (H)
Georgetown (A)
Depaul (H)

That is not a tough remaining schedule. 3 of the 4 toughest games are at home.
I think 11-2 is a realistic expectation the rest of the way. Would put us at 15-5 and finish in probably top 2 in the conference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We are 1/3 of the way into the conference slate, more or less. Records and NET numbers are as of end of day 1/8.

1) UConn (15-2 overall, 4-2 Big East, 3 NET) - OOC went great, but there have been a few hiccups in the Big East. The team plays great defense (4 in KenPom) and the offensive is good, although not as impressive as it was in the non-conference. The fouling is a bit of a concern. I thought we had a friendly officiating crew on Saturday, and UConn still picked up 19 fouls in a game where Creighton was trying to shoot itself out of a deficit. A 1 seed may be out of reach, but I think a 2 is still possible with a 4 or possibly 5 loss season.

1) Xavier (13-3, 5-0, 18) – 3 close losses to 3 good opponents. 7 offense in KenPom, which is very good although their defense is just 79, which is not great for a P6 team. This team plays well as a unit and has 5-6 guys that can make their own shot when they get the ball in the right spot. I don't know how you stop this team from scoring.

Miller has washed most of the Travis Steele off this team, and I think he has the best starting 5 (Freemantle, Jones, Nunge, Boum, Kunkel) in the league, including UConn’s. Boum is amazing at point, and Freemantle may finally become the player that he looked like he would be after his freshman year, rather than the knucklehead he was at times early this season and most of last season (I am aware he had a foot injury last season too). The bench isn't great, but may be good enough to keep the starters fresh and queue Xavier up for a deep run in March. Teams that make deep runs in March are typically very good at something, and Xavier is very efficient offensively.

3) Marquette (13-4, 5-1, 21) – 6 KenPom Offense, 78 defense. I see the KenPom stats, but I don't love this offense. I think it is a little too freewheeling and leans too heavily on dribble penetration. I think Shaka is just letting his players play, and the offense is not chaos like say St. Johns, but Marquette has a few too many low percentage possessions a game. Getting some of those possessions back would have helped against Wisky, MSU or PC. On the other hand, the stats may not support this, but I love Marquette's defense. That saggy man-to-man plays the passing lanes so well, making them one of the best steal teams in the country. Marquette does have a big rebounding problem.

The close losses to Mississippi State and Wisconsin, and the win over Baylor, don't look quite as impressive as they looked a month ago. They have 9 guys that contribute meaningful minutes and most of them score. Jones, Prosper, Ighodaro and Kolek are all really good. Like Xavier, I like this team because it plays an unusual style, which makes it hard to prepare for, especially in March.

4) Providence (14-3, 6-0, 34) – There are times I wonder if Cooley could take 10 Boneyarders and make the team competitive in the Big East. Their O/D efficiency numbers (24/64) are OK, not great, given their soft schedule so far. Cooley hit the jackpot with Hopkins, who is better than I thought after watching him early in the season. Cooley grinds out wins, possession by possession, and has had to squeeze out wins against teams like Seton Hall and St. Johns. We will learn a lot more about PC when they go on the road to Creighton and Marquette and all those friendly calls start breaking the other way.

The TCU and Miami losses have aged well, but 7 of their wins are Quad 4 and aren't getting better. PC has two wins over teams that will play in the tournament, and both were at home. Providence is not getting killed like I thought they would, but it is a little early to pop the champaign for this squad. That said, they play smart and hard on both ends, and should be in good shape for a bid.

4) Creighton (9-7, 3-2, 24) – 30 offense and a surprising 25 defense with KenPom. Creighton is benefitting in the NET from teams like BYU, ASU and Nebraska having good season. Actually, even some of the guarantee opponents like UC Riverside and St Thomas have outperformed and are Top 200. I think Creighton gets a mulligan for the BYU and ASU losses since they were missing KalkBrenner. Creighton is a different team when he is healthy and out of foul trouble. I will give McDermott credit for turning the team around after a 5 game losing streak. That is a really hard task for a coach.

I can't believe McDermott has found another random low major in the transfer portal to be a major contributor. Scheierman is just a good player. I like Alexander, and Nembhard and Kaluma are not as good as they think they are, but they are still very good. The bench is pretty bad though, and will be a showstopper at some point this season. It killed Creighton against UConn when Kalk and Nembhard got in foul trouble. The outside shooting goes really cold at times too. I think Creighton will make the dance, but will not be around long.

6) Seton Hall (8-8, 2-4, 74) – Seton Hall is playing for an NIT bid. There is a good win at Rutgers, but the win over Memphis is fading and there is not much else to point to in terms of quality wins. They do have some quality losses, having played @ Xavier and PC close, and they didn't get killed @ Marquette. When matched up against the bottom half of the league, they won easily over St. Johns and Butler. They have already played 3 of their road games against the Top 5 in the league, so their remaining schedule is a little easier than some of the other second tier teams.

The offense is getting better slowly, and is up to 109 now, but the defense remains good at 27. As I said last month, this team just plays great defense. Defensively, it passes the eye test. They have great technique and never let up, even off the ball. Offensively, this team is a collection of role players outside of maybe Samuel that struggles to score.

I was tough on Holloway earlier, but I think he is making the best of a bad hand. There isn't a lot of talent on this team, but they are playing well. I do think they will pick someone off someone good this season with their defense.

6) Villanova (8-8, 2-3, 91) – There was a lot of recruiting junkies claiming that Villanova would turn things around once Whitmore got healthy. Well, he has played 9 games, Villanova is 6-3 in those games and the best win is a 4 point home win over Oklahoma. They aren't getting a mulligan for the losses when Whitmore was hurt because they aren't much better with him back. They are the 25 ranked offense in KenPom, but the defense is pretty bad for a P6 at 121, and some of the inside defensive rankings, like turnover % (243), eFG (218) and 3 point defense (228) are just bad.

The entire team is 1.3 DBPM or worse. By way of comparison, UConn has 1 player in the rotation, Alleyne (1.8) that is below 2.5 DBPM. Stylistically, it always looks like Villanova is fishing for fouls on offense, and they aren't good enough to get away with that. Villanova can still shoot and gets to the line a fair amount, but this is no where near as good as Wright's teams.

There is basically no path to an NCAA bid with this team, and the NIT is not a lock by any means with all of their non-conference losses.

8) St. Johns (11-6, 1-5, 102) – St. Johns has lost its last 5 Big East games, and most of those games were not close. The O/D (76/81) are about what you would expect from a team that is 1-5 in the Big East.

This team is playing an over the top aggressive 90's style offense and defense in an analytics world, and I don't think it is working. The starting 5 (Jones, Curbelo, Alexander, Soriano, Mathis) is OK, and the bench isn't terrible. I think they overdo it on penetration and make too many mistakes with their pressure. They have the shortest possession length (14.7, 1) in basketball, but they don't get better quality shots, they are just shooting faster. Sometimes an open jumper is a good shot, and they got to get defenses to leave the paint. They are a bad 3 point shooting team (31.6% 266), and I think a lot of that is because the shot attempts are crazy. All of their defensive stats (eFG 49.7% 165; 3-pt % 33.2% 172) are not nearly as good as you would expect from a Mike Anderson team. Anderson may have lost his fastball as a coach.

SJU has a reasonable shot at an NIT bid.

9) Butler (10-7, 2-4, 73) – Butler's NET is as good as it is because some of the non-conference games have aged very well (wins over BYU, Yale and Kansas State, losses to NC State, Penn State and Tennessee). I watched the game, and still don't get how Butler beat Kansas State. 115 offense, 58 defense, and the deeper stats aren't any better. I think the defensive stats will get worse as the season wears on because the team just isn't that good. After Bates, I don't think there is another player on this team that would even start for the Top 5 teams in the league. This roster needs an overhaul.

Butler has played 4 non-Depaul/Georgetown Big East opponents, and has lost each game by 20 points. Butler just doesn't have the talent to compete in the Big East yet.

10) Depaul (7-9, 1-4, 191) – O/D is 133/168. As I said before, this is a weak mid-major team in the Big East. Depaul is pretty much bad at everything they do. I won't predict them to lose the rest of their games, but they could lose the rest of their games. I want Stubblefield to succeed, but this is a rough Year 2 in Lincoln Park.

11) Georgetown (5-12, 0-6, 247) – Everything about this team is bad, so there is no point in diving into the deep stats. The only reason I don’t predict them to go winless is that Spears and Wahab are not bad, and the overall starting lineup is not terrible. Their is enough talent on this team to pull an upset of someone decent like a SJU or Nova, but the last 3 games have some warning signs of a team about to quit on their coach.

Projection of Big East records:

UConn 16-4
Xavier 16-4
Marquette 15-5
Providence 14-6
Creighton 14-6
Seton Hall 9-11
Villanova 9-11
St. Johns 7-13
Butler 6-14
Depaul 3-17
Georgetown 1-19

The Top 5 would go to the NCAA Tournament and St. Johns and Butler would go to the NIT.

There is a big underlying assumption in those projections that the dominance by home teams in Big East play will come to an end soon and revert to the mean. There also seems to be a big gap between #5 and #6 in the league. The Top 5 teams have not lost a game to one of the bottom 6 teams yet this season. I think there will be some upsets across that line the next two months, but not many.

Depaul and Georgetown are bad teams. I think we are lucky that they played as well in the non-conference as they did, because they could be Cal or Louisville bad this season and wrecking every team's NET rating.

I was planning on doing a new prediction thread at the beginning of February, but other than UConn underperforming this projection by a few games, there is not a lot new to say. Every other team should finish within one game of the projection I made on January 10.

Reaction Score
I believe we are looking at the 4 or 5 seed in the BET. Given that, where would we like the other teams to fall for the bracket?

I want PC and Crieghton to duke it out in the 2-3 game. That would give us X/MQ in games 1 and 2. Is this a possible/likely scenario?

And yes, I hope the team is focused on SH. One game at a time. We're doomed.

Reaction Score
The 5 seed is most likely, especially with a win vs. Seton Hall. 12-8 or 13-7 final conference record.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The 5 seed is most likely, especially with a win vs. Seton Hall. 12-8 or 13-7 final conference record.
If UConn and Seton Hall finish 11-9 we own the tiebreaker I believe.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I was planning on doing a new prediction thread at the beginning of February, but other than UConn underperforming this projection by a few games, there is not a lot new to say. Every other team should finish within one game of the projection I made on January 10.
Thanks for the bump; a link would have been even better.

Anyway, good work in building on the first one so well so early in the season.

It takes me experiencing that I missed the 1/9 revision to again wonder what's the big deal for some posters to acknowledge when they've gotten something wrong.

Reaction Score
Losing tomorrow would be a disaster. Amazed that Seton Hall is 9-7. But….I’m amazed we are 8-7!

Reaction Score
Losing tomorrow would be a disaster. Amazed that Seton Hall is 9-7. But….I’m amazed we are 8-7!
They have 3 of the ~6 hardest games in conference play left (out of the 20 total games)- @Uconn, @Providence, H-Xavier. Plus Home-Nova. Decent chance they go 0-4 to end the season and Xavier has had some stinkers on the road (lost at Depaul and Butler). And Seton Hall is not a bad team and likely will be favored vs. Nova, so they could definitely get 1 or 2 wins. If they win all 4 they'd probably get a tournament berth. They'll probably go 10-10.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom