Reviewing the Tape: Sid Wilson | The Boneyard

Reviewing the Tape: Sid Wilson

Reaction Score
UConn gained a major asset to its bench on Tuesday night against UMass Lowell as the previously-suspended Sidney Wilson returned to the Huskies. Wilson, a consensus top 100 recruit in the class of 2017, only played five minutes and didn’t record many stats in his debut college appearance.

However, basketball is a sport where basic stats can’t tell you everything. I watched all of Wilson’s minutes, focusing on him only, to figure out where he stands with the team right now, and where he might be for the rest of the season. Here’s a selection of a few possessions that I think illustrate something about Wilson—either current ability or potential—and his fit with this iteration of the Huskies.

Link: Reviewing the Tape: Sidney Wilson’s First Game with UConn Men’s Basketball

Reaction Score
He wasn’t very springy off the bench - 2 missed put back dunks. But I applaud him for trying, he wouldn’t do it unless he knows he can. I’m sure Hurley will chop him for not getting the easy 2 in his first game back... but then again it’s his FIRST game back. He has a killer instinct with his put backs. We need that.

Watch ya heads!

Reaction Score
UConn gained a major asset to its bench on Tuesday night against UMass Lowell as the previously-suspended Sidney Wilson returned to the Huskies. Wilson, a consensus top 100 recruit in the class of 2017, only played five minutes and didn’t record many stats in his debut college appearance.

However, basketball is a sport where basic stats can’t tell you everything. I watched all of Wilson’s minutes, focusing on him only, to figure out where he stands with the team right now, and where he might be for the rest of the season. Here’s a selection of a few possessions that I think illustrate something about Wilson—either current ability or potential—and his fit with this iteration of the Huskies.

Link: Reviewing the Tape: Sidney Wilson’s First Game with UConn Men’s Basketball
nice job - thanks

Reaction Score
I thought he looked a little lost out there, at least at first.

Offensively, for sure. He floated, and his movements looked like he wasn't sure where he needed to be or had any feel for what his teammates were trying to do.

Reaction Score
The kid will definitely rebound for us with those long arms and Hurley will bring him along slow but by the end of the year he could be a good contributor. It was a great analysis.

Reaction Score
Team has some options, fun to think about upside. This is type of analysis expect that coaches do, never having played or been involved with any high level team play was interesting to see the amount of detail and comments you can come up with on a single play. This is the type of review of plays that over a period of time can make each individual player better (if they listen and learn) which then makes the team better.
Interested in what improvement team will make in reacting to dribble penetration (since Iowa) as with the intense guarding away from the basket by UConn it forces other team to try and dribble/drive.

Reaction Score
He wasn’t very springy off the bench - 2 missed put back dunks. But I applaud him for trying, he wouldn’t do it unless he knows he can. I’m sure Hurley will chop him for not getting the easy 2 in his first game back... but then again it’s his FIRST game back. He has a killer instinct with his put backs. We need that.

Watch ya heads!

It’s also so hard as an explosive jumper to sit for almost 2 hours and then go in the game and jump to maximum level. As others have noted, even kwintin can’t jump well when he gets into the game during garbage time.

Reaction Score
Looked lost and lazy to me. Hurley will get him to play to his potential as long as he’s willing to put the work in.

Reaction Score
It’s also so hard as an explosive jumper to sit for almost 2 hours and then go in the game and jump to maximum level. As others have noted, even kwintin can’t jump well when he gets into the game during garbage time.

Exactly - I left that out. He’s probly not used to being cold off the bench.

Reaction Score
Looked lost and lazy to me. Hurley will get him to play to his potential as long as he’s willing to put the work in.
I think lazy is pretty harsh. He definitely looked a bit lost in some situations but I think we also need to acknowledge that practice cannot replicate a game atmosphere and it's going to take some time for him to get in the flow of things.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Please define lazy in this case
When you keyed on him and him alone while physically at the game and not on the TV, did he walk back on D? Did he stand in a corner while the other 4 were moving?
From my seats, my friend and I watched him and while he did appear at first to be searching for his appropriate place while running certain plays, he was moving, setting screens (has to keep his feet still) and seeking open spots. On D he did stay in front of his man and had good lateral movement (Polley needs to work on that) but a few times he was to ready to fan out and get on the fast break instead of looking to help on the boards - I heard DH say something about that at one point
In no case would I call his effort lazy - that's a strong term

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Lazy is not the right word and is an unfair statement. He got 3 boards and was aggressive trying to finish at the rim.

Lost, yes. But that's to be expected since the kid just played his first competitive basketball game in 2 years.

Reaction Score
It is just so nice to once again be in the position where Uconn can actually test some things out and get some players who are rusty some playing time in an actual game from time to time. That used to be somewhat common place of course, but not as of late.

Reaction Score
SiD just play to create havoc on defense and get open on offense and AL G will get you the ball. Hope we have another junk yard dog in the mix Love this team and it's potential.

Reaction Score
I think Sid will be just fine after a handful of games.

But that missed dunk as his first memorable action is bizarre. Fortunately, it came in a 22 point win, and the future looks very bright for this group, especially next season.

Reaction Score
First time on the court in a couple of years. Cut the guy a break. He will be fine as he defines his role and gets into the rotation. He may be of great value in the Arizona game against the 6'6 Randolph who is scoring 18 a game. We will get an idea of Wilson's defensive capabilities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom