Returning players for SC game | The Boneyard

Returning players for SC game

Reaction Score
I think that Azzi and Christyn should play if healthy for the SCarolina game. I don't think anyone is expecting a victory for UConn, in my opinion they will contribute something on offense or at least have the chance to do so, and this will give some rest to otherwise fatiguing teammates. With Azzi, I'd limit her time more so than Christyn. What harm could come from getting them in the game? I'm not worried that they will be scarred if they don't perform well- I think they know the situation and are realistic about chances for a miracle. Any minutes they get against SC will help them down the road- for everyone, it'll signal that they are back.

Reaction Score
yes i agree with you that the best option may be to limit their minutes, rather than dodge the game. of course only if they are healthy, their health comes first. Azzi 10 minute limit, christyn maybe the same or 5 extra minutes. who knows how well her respiratory recovery is if she was sick.

Even just 10 minutes from each could be a huge breather for their teammates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AZzi has even practiced yet.. starting on treadmill.. she is a few weeks away from playing

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t play CW against SC. She needs to come back against a BE team so she plays well. We need her in a positive mind set for the remainder of the season.

Reaction Score
Azzi was shooting for 1/2 hour a day last week. She might play. Might not also.

Reaction Score
Who said CW was sick? All I've heard was that she was in covid protocol because she either tested positive or had been exposed to someone who was positive. Anyone have a reliable source as to what the situation is?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Who said CW was sick? All I've heard was that she was in covid protocol because she either tested positive or had been exposed to someone who was positive. Anyone have a reliable source as to what the situation is?
She didn't look sick today(sitting on the bench next to Paige).

Reaction Score
Geno said in the post-game that there's a good chance today's team is going to be the same one that plays on Thursday, so I wouldn't count on CW being available.

Reaction Score
No one who has been injured should play before their time. This game really is not that important, and I do hope that every UConn player completes this game uninjured and in good health.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
She didn't look sick today(sitting on the bench next to Paige).
I'm really puzzled. If she's able to sit on the bench and pull down her mask, how is she not able to play Thursday?

I had assumed she had been exposed to someone who had contracted COVID. Must be more to it.

Edit: Plus, she was (apparently) not at the home game Friday, but at an away game Sunday.

Reaction Score
Azzi was shooting for 1/2 hour a day last week. She might play. .
Wanna bet?

Shooting is easy. Was she running? Cutting? Putting intense pressure on her foot?

Reaction Score
Azzi was shooting for 1/2 hour a day last week. She might play. Might not also.
Geno has been pretty clear about the path that Azzi is on, and it doesn't sound like her return is imminent. She's not even allowed to practice with the team yet, never mind get into a game. Sounds like she's weeks away based on the plan that Geno laid out.

Reaction Score
good point...........only the doctors know for sure but if CW was symptom free, perhaps she could still give the team 15 minutes off the bench.........I know my daughter caught it over winter break from college and she had one day where she didn't feel great but other than that she was fine...........she had no lingering effects at all and went back to running three miles a day when she was cleared after ten days......

Reaction Score
Geno said the decision on CW being available for Thursday is not up to him. It was hard to understand what he was talking about in terms of the time line, but it sounds like once you're done with the 10-day protocol there is another 5 or 6 days before they can play in games, and Geno said that would be close to Thursday or the day after so he wasn't sure exactly what day she would be cleared to play again.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think that Azzi and Christyn should play if healthy for the SCarolina game. I don't think anyone is expecting a victory for UConn, in my opinion they will contribute something on offense or at least have the chance to do so, and this will give some rest to otherwise fatiguing teammates. With Azzi, I'd limit her time more so than Christyn. What harm could come from getting them in the game? I'm not worried that they will be scarred if they don't perform well- I think they know the situation and are realistic about chances for a miracle. Any minutes they get against SC will help them down the road- for everyone, it'll signal that they are back.

Reaction Score
I'm really puzzled. If she's able to sit on the bench and pull down her mask, how is she not able to play Thursday?

I had assumed she had been exposed to someone who had contracted COVID. Must be more to it.

Edit: Plus, she was (apparently) not at the home game Friday, but at an away game Sunday.
If CW can be in the bench with other players that means she must be tested negative. May be it is the NCAA rules require her to sit down for certain days ?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Based on social media clues, I’m pretty certain she tested positive. Mainly because she posted on her IG story from the Graduate Hotel not long after the news of her going into protocols, which is one of the designated isolation spaces on campus.

Her presence on the bench means she’s negative, but that doesn’t necessarily mean she’s ready to return to full athletic activity. Before she can, she needs to be completely cleared by the medical staff to return to practice and then to game play. And we (rightfully so…) have no idea where she is on that front.

Reaction Score
good point...........only the doctors know for sure but if CW was symptom free, perhaps she could still give the team 15 minutes off the bench.........I know my daughter caught it over winter break from college and she had one day where she didn't feel great but other than that she was fine...........she had no lingering effects at all and went back to running three miles a day when she was cleared after ten days......
I agree, if CW is not contagious, and is not breaking any local requirements, why not? This is in no way like Azzi, it is not potentially rushing back too soon from an injury or surgery, she may not be experiencing any symptoms now, or during her quarantine. If she is then fine no question, but if she feels good use her.

We have no backup guards without her. So what if she hasn't practiced 5 times or got all her conditioning back, under current conditions CW at 70% just to backup the guards, would be a major plus. She is a senior, she knows the plays, and if the conditioning is a couple of games away, lets get started now. She doesn't have to start, and if she has a bad game we will be understanding, but feeling like the planets have to be in sync, and everything just so before she returns when you only have 3 guards is ridiculous in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Having had mild case of the Covid conditioning could be an issue (no I’m not a top level athlete) but I’m walking a lot up and down stairs all day shortness of breathe is an issue

Reaction Score
Having had mild case of the Covid conditioning could be an issue (no I’m not a top level athlete) but I’m walking a lot up and down stairs all day shortness of breathe is an issue
impossible to know..........everybody is different...........Michael Jordan scored 38 points in the famous "Flu game".........I probably couldn't even have gotten out of bed............:confused:

Reaction Score
And Stef Dolson had several injuries, but played in the 2013 NCAA tournament:
Stress fracture with swelling in her lower right leg
Plantar fasciitis in her left leg
Sore left foot for which she was wearing a foot plate

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members