Retirement | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Retirement

Reaction Score
Scheduled to retire at end of April this year- in good health, finances generally okay but we can't go wild either. I'm curious, what have other people who have retired done with all that extra time on their hands? Did anyone pick up interesting new hobbies? How many went back to work, and if they did, was it due to boredom? My wife is younger and is still working but she works flexible hours part-time as a consultant.

I'm hoping to do some traveling, our house is getting remodeled and I'll work on landscaping for it, but I don't want to go back to work at all. I'll definitely be playing more golf!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have 2 years to go and honestly I'm scared. I've always worked. I live alone and don't have a husband or companion to do stuff with. I feel like I'd still be too young for the senior center. I want to get a part time job and hope to meet some people that way. I used to work out a lot, but I was compulsive and did some permanent damage to my feet that limit me now. A 2 or 2-1/2 mile walk is about all I can handle though I can still lift weights, etc. I don't think I'll have too much to worry about financially (I hope) but you all are doing so much stuff I'm not sure I can afford. I have a financial planner, who like me, plays it close to the vest. I'm scared I'll sink further into a depression and that'll be it for me.
Have you tried cannabis?

Reaction Score
I have 2 years to go and honestly I'm scared. I've always worked. I live alone and don't have a husband or companion to do stuff with. I feel like I'd still be too young for the senior center. I want to get a part time job and hope to meet some people that way. I used to work out a lot, but I was compulsive and did some permanent damage to my feet that limit me now. A 2 or 2-1/2 mile walk is about all I can handle though I can still lift weights, etc. I don't think I'll have too much to worry about financially (I hope) but you all are doing so much stuff I'm not sure I can afford. I have a financial planner, who like me, plays it close to the vest. I'm scared I'll sink further into a depression and that'll be it for me.
I was widowed before I retired. When I retired I relocated to Delaware and landed in a small community where no one knew anyone. We have book club, Bunco nights, mahjong, golf, group that walks every morning, kayak, bike riding. Sure I travel but alot of how I fill my time is free. Volunteered for awhile, did some fundraising for Alzheimer's, diabetes, autism. I'm actually in my 2nd term on the hoa board of directors -kind of like unpaid work. If you meet the right people there are a lot of things you can do without spending a ton of money.
Good luck.

Reaction Score
I was widowed before I retired. When I retired I relocated to Delaware and landed in a small community where no one knew anyone. We have book club, Bunco nights, mahjong, golf, group that walks every morning, kayak, bike riding. Sure I travel but alot of how I fill my time is free. Volunteered for awhile, did some fundraising for Alzheimer's, diabetes, autism. I'm actually in my 2nd term on the hoa board of directors -kind of like unpaid work. If you meet the right people there are a lot of things you can do without spending a ton of money.
Good luck.
I think I saw your profile on Ourtime...LOL.

Reaction Score
My mom has had some health issues this year and lives alone, so she’s beginning to be more open-minded about selling her home and looking at other options.

We have friends who recently moved to a 60+ community in Stratford and they both love it. Always something to do but plenty of alone time if needed.

It’s almost like there are so many possibilities out there, but I can totally see the upside of a retirement community, especially for single people like my mom, and yourself. Honestly, I didn’t know much about them myself, but know long what’s out there is reassuring.

Reaction Score
My situation is a little different. First I seriously depleted my retirement savings when my wife was ill. I retired and while I had enough there a very small margin for error. A couple months later I went back to work. Work from home call center. Front line no responsibility. My retirement plans changed dramatically after my wife died.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom