Resumption of UMass Rivalry | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Resumption of UMass Rivalry

Reaction Score
Yes. I do not understand people turning up their noses. We need them as much as they need us. We are not in Kansas anymore. Time to embrace that fact.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I like playing them now. Someone said we should keep playing then yearly even if we’re in the B1G someday. The B1G plays 3 OOC games. I don’t think you can limit yourself to 2 non-UMass games a year.

Reaction Score
I like playing them now. Someone said we should keep playing then yearly even if we’re in the B1G someday. The B1G plays 3 OOC games. I don’t think you can limit yourself to 2 non-UMass games a year.
Well yeah, agreed. But until that time, far in the future, when UConn enters the promised land .... And until then I would double down. Rotate the FCS opponent between Maine, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire. A rising tide lifts all boats. This region needs the tide to rise.

Reaction Score
1. Gives the students a reasonable away game to travel to.
2. Simplifies scheduling.
3. Helps promote college football in the region, even if football’s days are numbered.
4. I’m like this for a little while to see what can come of it.

While I feel as if those who diminish this game are no better than those BC fans who look down at us, I could go either way. Let's be honest, we need wins, period. We need to give P5 schools a reason to want to play us, a reason for kids to want to play here, and a reason for fans to pay. Having said all that, ZOO, I do have to disagree w/#1 - we can't get our kids to go to the rent and you think they'll drive to central mass for this?

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
I would prefer them on the basketball schedule personally.

Reaction Score
I would prefer them on the basketball schedule personally.

Not sure there's any benefit to playing them, from a recruiting standpoint nor from enhancing our national standing for the tournament. Providence and Little Rhody would be better in that regard in my view.

Of course, I'll admit I'm really biased because I lived in WMass from 1990 to 2011 and got my fill of UMass fans thinking they belonged in the Big East just because Camby gave them several great years. Plus, others here say their attendance is really down and they have regressed, so why revive them? Oh, oh, sounding like a BS college fan.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
Not sure there's any benefit to playing them, from a recruiting standpoint nor from enhancing our national standing for the tournament. Providence and Little Rhody would be better in that regard in my view.

Of course, I'll admit I'm really biased because I lived in WMass from 1990 to 2011 and got my fill of UMass fans thinking they belonged in the Big East just because Camby gave them several great years. Plus, others here say their attendance is really down and they have regressed, so why revive them? Oh, oh, sounding like a BS college fan.

I would just want to play them to bring back the rivalry. We could look at them how nova looks at penn. or how cincy looks a miami, ohio. it doesn't have to be serious. but they are one of our oldest rivals. So i think thinks its important to play them every year, or every other year.

Reaction Score
Rotate the FCS opponent between Maine, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire. A rising tide lifts all boats. This region needs the tide to rise.

Add CCSU into the mix would be nice. We could use the $$$ (keep it in-state) and it's not like the schools haven't met before on the gridiron.

1986 - CCSU 9, UConn 20
1989 - CCSU 9, UConn 27
1995 - CCSU 9, UConn 54

Reaction Score
Add CCSU into the mix would be nice. We could use the $$$ (keep it in-state) and it's not like the schools haven't met before on the gridiron.

1986 - CCSU 9, UConn 20
1989 - CCSU 9, UConn 27
1995 - CCSU 9, UConn 54
Good idea.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

1986 - CCSU 9, UConn 20
1989 - CCSU 9, UConn 27
1995 - CCSU 9, UConn 54
Has the CCSU CUSE game happened yet or is that this year?

Reaction Score
Has the CCSU CUSE game happened yet or is that this year?

CCSU-'Cuse was last season. We open up at Ball State this season on ESPN+ at the same time the Huskies host UCF on ESPNU.

Central Connecticut vs. FBS
  • Sep. 22, 2009 – L, 14-51 at Western Michigan (MAC)
  • Sep. 1, 2017 – L, 7-50 at Syracuse (ACC)
  • Aug. 30 2018 – at Ball State (MAC)
  • Sep. 21, 2019 – at Eastern Michigan (MAC)
Rumor has it that Central will visit the Rent in 2020 and 2022, but no confirmation on that yet.

Reaction Score
We should play UMass every year. We need a rival and a game fans care about.

Do you believe UConn fans care about a game with UMass? If so, maybe you're right, but I just don't see it. It's been a couple decades since we played a game against them with any meaning. It was a big game in the 60's when they seemed to beat us all the time.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Do you believe UConn fans care about a game with UMass? If so, maybe you're right, but I just don't see it. It's been a couple decades since we played a game against them with any meaning. It was a big game in the 60's when they seemed to beat us all the time.

In 1998, the year UMASS won the I-AA title, we beat them twice during the regular season. I believe we were the only team to beat them that season.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
UMess game this Saturday vs Duquesne has no TV coverage. Even vs. an FCS opponent that's almost unheard of, how do they implement replay? Seems to confirm the Minutemen's bottom of the barrel status

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom