Resumption of UMass Rivalry | The Boneyard

Resumption of UMass Rivalry

Reaction Score
I know many on this board are nauseated by the idea of playing UMass but I for one am glad we have them on the schedule for the next four years and maybe beyond. Why not renew the old Yankee Conference/A 10 rivalry which was always fun I thought. I could see this becoming one of our biggest games every year for as long as we are in the AAC (forever?) where forming other real rivalries is unlikely (see the ConFLiCT). Anyone else glad to see the Minutemen back on the schedule?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No. How many times do we have to discuss a game that adds nothing to the advancement of the program in service of a few more ticket sales to opposing fans and the nostalgia of the over 50 crowd?

We get 4 games a year where we choose our opponent. We are trying to get bigger names and at least 2 wins. We can't afford to lock one up for UMass so long as we aspire to be relevant.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Could be worse - seeing where this program is right now it doesn't bother me.
What bothers me is that it could be a loss this year - that would hurt
UMass has played some respectable ball the last few years - something that UConn can't say

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Agree. I'd much rather play UMass than teams like Maine, Fordham, Stony Brook, Murray State, North Texas, URI, MAC teams or even some of the teams in our current conference.
North Texas is an FBS school. They're in C-USA and won the Western Division last year. They went to a bowl and lost to Troy.

UMass is an excellent add to the schedule as long as we win.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn can continue to play UMass even if it gets into ACC or Big 10.
Unless the game gets so lopsided that it ceases to be helpful, but we are a million miles away from that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No. How many times do we have to discuss a game that adds nothing to the advancement of the program in service of a few more ticket sales to opposing fans and the nostalgia of the over 50 crowd?

We get 4 games a year where we choose our opponent. We are trying to get bigger names and at least 2 wins. We can't afford to lock one up for UMass so long as we aspire to be relevant.

Teams that want to bolster their own SOS avoid scheduling us. And teams that don't need to bolster their SOS require 2-for-1s, if they'll even return calls.

Reaction Score
UMass is the closest Div-1 football school to UConn and whether some like it or not have been a rival in many sports for almost a century. Embrace it, own it and count it as a W every season. If you want to demean UMass that mush then consider it our FCS cupcake game same as Alabama's Arkansas St(2018), New Mexico St(2019) or Georgia St(2020)

Reaction Score
Someone leaked a photo of the new rivalry trophy mockup:
massiveconflict.png

Reaction Score
UMass is the closest Div-1 football school to UConn and whether some like it or not have been a rival in many sports for almost a century. Embrace it, own it and count it as a W every season. If you want to demean UMass that mush then consider it our FCS cupcake game same as Alabama's Arkansas St(2018), New Mexico St(2019) or Georgia St(2020)

Go away Pasqualoni.

Reaction Score
I’m fine with hosting them every once in a while, but playing them every year means giving up home games. We’re going to be playing plenty of road payday games as it is, I’m not interesting in playing @ UMass every other year.

Reaction Score
It's a pretty inexpensive trip up to Amherst from Storrs for a gauranteed W. I'm not saying make that trip every other year especially when UConn starts to get ranked. But... still a W right in your back yard and all it costs is a 1 1/2 hr bus ride. There's a lot of D-1 schools that would drool over that deal.

Reaction Score
1. Gives the students a reasonable away game to travel to.
2. Simplifies scheduling.
3. Helps promote college football in the region, even if football’s days are numbered.
4. I’m like this for a little while to see what can come of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom