OT: Reseeding Dead Lawn.... | The Boneyard

OT: Reseeding Dead Lawn....

Reaction Score
with a soil PH of 4.8. Numerous spots (70 % of front lawn) in a 15,000 SQ lawn have been hit with severe brown patches. As mentioned soil PH a mere 4.8 which is extremely acidic. No lime treatments have been done for years. Someone was hired last fall to reseed and they put down top soil and seeded over some serious dead patches but the lawn did not produce sustaining healthy growth. The same area is brown again.

The idea now is to raise the PH closer to neutral (6.5) either using a fast acting lime or more traditional slow acting lime BEFORE fertilizing and planting seed. If anyone could offer some advise on lime products used that have been successful let me know. How long will it take the PH to get close to neutral with various lime products? I would assume seeding this fall is risky since fertilizer nutrients will not be effective in this highly acidic soil.

Let me know your experiences if any.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Astroturf doesn’t need lime and I am tempted. Even though it was a wet summer we then had a dry patch and my lawn suffered in several areas because no sprinkler system. It’s a no win never ending battle but I will keep at it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
with a soil PH of 4.8. Numerous spots (70 % of front lawn) in a 15,000 SQ lawn have been hit with severe brown patches. As mentioned soil PH a mere 4.8 which is extremely acidic. No lime treatments have been done for years. Someone was hired last fall to reseed and they put down top soil and seeded over some serious dead patches but the lawn did not produce sustaining healthy growth. The same area is brown again.

The idea now is to raise the PH closer to neutral (6.5) either using a fast acting lime or more traditional slow acting lime BEFORE fertilizing and planting seed. If anyone could offer some advise on lime products used that have been successful let me know. How long will it take the PH to get close to neutral with various lime products? I would assume seeding this fall is risky since fertilizer nutrients will not be effective in this highly acidic soil.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check for grubs before doing anything. I overseeded last fall, and the lawn looked awesome, for a while. Grubs took care of that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not same problem as you with bare spots, but I've had significant issues with highly acidic soil for several years in addition to other problems that resulted in a ton of moss. I started using Jonathan Green products last fall in conjunction with trimming trees and aerating. Also used a fast-growing shallow root grass for patching which worked well, then reseeded with "regular" grass (in my case a Pennsylvania State mix). Anyway, have had more success with the Jonathan Green for acidity and weed control than I had with Scott products. But do look into aeration and dethatching of the entire lawn to let in more oxygen, in addition to whatever lawncare/fertilizers you're using.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Check for grubs before doing anything. I overseeded last fall, and the lawn looked awesome, for a while. Grubs took care of that.

Could also be wireworms (which grow into click beetles). They like rye grasses in addition to root crops. I've seen them here - neighbor who usually has an exceptionally well-maintained lawn has bare spots this year due to an infestation of the things. Hard to kill off.

Reaction Score

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Definitely check for grubs, first - they eat roots and kill grass, and it tends to be in patches.
Regarding pH, most grass will grow in the high 5, low 6 pH range. Wouldn't spend a bunch of extra money getting it to 6.8 or whatever.
OTOH, the more acidic the soil, the less effective a given amount of fertilizer is, so if that is your thing, probably more cost effective to get the pH close to neutral so the fert is not getting wasted.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Lots of lime or magnesium. Water it in. Baking soda and amonia will raise the pH.

Try Peals Premium grass seed. Great results.
PEARL'S ?

Reaction Score
I might consider blending the lime (1/2 as fast acting and the other half as dolemitic lime for magnesium).

I think a 50 lb bag is usually recommended for up to 1000 square feet, but I think you could probably double that - especially if you'll hold off until the spring for seeding. Good luck!

Reaction Score

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
What do you use to check soil acidity? I only know how pools work, if that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Our lawn is at least 50% moss; the other half is a mix of grass and weeds. I am just thankful that it's green. I don't expect that I will ever have the time, money or inclination to be a lawn guy. I think we pay $35 to have it cut and cleaned, for around an acre.

People who launder and iron their own dress shirts are another enigma to me. For ~$2.50 per shirt I can't imagine ever not paying someone else to do it for me. Especially when my ironing can't come close to the look of a professionally cleaned shirt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom