requirements for a banner in Gampel ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

requirements for a banner in Gampel ?

Reaction Score
I'm not arguing for an arbitrary system, only one that includes National Defensive Player of the Year and/or All-American as a requirement.
the curious part about Nurse she may have never had the opportunity for WBCA AA. Coaches were only allowed to nominate 3 players for consideration. For Kia that would mean for her four years the nominees were most likely:
15- Moriah, Breanna, KML
16- Moria, Breanna, Morgan
17- KLS, Napheesa, Gabby
18- KLS, Gabby (Napheesa?)

only that one person in parens didn't make AA. I think Phee was most likely nominated but it could have been Kia.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
the curious part about Nurse she may have never had the opportunity for WBCA AA. Coaches were only allowed to nominate 3 players for consideration. For Kia that would mean for her four years the nominees were most likely:
15- Moriah, Breanna, KML
16- Moria, Breanna, Morgan
17- KLS, Napheesa, Gabby
18- KLS, Gabby (Napheesa?)

only that one person in parens didn't make AA. I think Phee was most likely nominated but it could have been Kia.
I think just a little creative juggling would have gotten Kia on the wall. By Kia’s senior year 17-18 Napheesa, KLS & Gabby had already qualified to be on the wall. In her senior year Kia was NDPOY and I believe top 5 in 3pt shooting for the entire year. Napheesa was also having a down year by her own lofty standards and did not make WBCA AA. Creative would have been to make sure that Kia received the highest considerations among the 3 UCONN nominees or better yet have UCONN submit only two nominees ( Gabby and Kia) who happen to be seniors. The WBCA has historically favored seniors and defense more than the other awards. These Two UCONN players happen to be back to back DPOY.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes this comes up every year (at least recently).

Again there are 3 major groups/organizations that have AA lists. (a bunch of smaller irrelevant ones for this, also)

AP - does 3 (5 player) teams (1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team)
WBCA (Women's Basketball Coaches Assoc) - does 1 (10 player) team (1st team)
USBWA (United States Basketball Writers Assoc) - does 1 (10 player) team (1st team)

UCONN states 1st team AA. (nowhere have I read what specific organization(s) that means)

From history, if you are on the 1st team AP list, you'll be on the WBCA list. We can assume if you make either one of them you're on the wall. We have never had anyone make the USBWA list and not be on the WBCA list, so we have no proof that one would also count. However, in UCONN's Media Guide, they list AP, WBCA and USBWA AA's. So I would assume, making any of the 3 (1st team) would count.

Here is the list of Wall of Honor Players

Kerry Bascom
Rebecca Lobo - 2 time/NPOY
Jennifer Rizzotti - 2 time/NPOY
Kara Wolters - 2 time/NPOY
Nykesha Sales - 2 time
Svetlana Abrosimova - 3 time
Shea Ralph
Sue Bird - NPOY
Swin Cash
Diana Taurasi - 3 time NPOY
Renee Montgomey - 2 time
Tina Charles - 2 time NPOY
Maya Moore - 4 time NPOY
Bria Hartley - 2 time
Stefanie Dolson - 2 time
KML - 2 time
Breanna Stewart - 3 time NPOY
Moriah Jefferson - 2 time
Morgan Tuck
KLS - 3 time
Napheesa Collier - 2 time
Gabby Williams - 2 time

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At any rate, Crystal SHOULD make an All-American team or four or five this year, no?

I mean, come on!

Reaction Score
I think there are many UConn players whose jerseys may later be retired and she may be in that number which could then lead to the wall. Then again, I’d be crazy to think that...there would be no jerseys to wear if all the legends numbers were retired.

Have you been to Gampel recently and looked at the numbers on the wall? We are running out of room! (admittedly, a wonderful problem to have).

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Again there are 3 major groups/organizations that have AA lists. (a bunch of smaller irrelevant ones for this, also)

USBWA (United States Basketball Writers Assoc) - does 1 (10 player) team (1st team)

UCONN states 1st team AA. (nowhere have I read what specific organization(s) that means)

From history, if you are on the 1st team AP list, you'll be on the WBCA list. We can assume if you make either one of them you're on the wall. We have never had anyone make the USBWA list and not be on the WBCA list, so we have no proof that one would also count. However, in UCONN's Media Guide, they list AP, WBCA and USBWA AA's. So I would assume, making any of the 3 (1st team) would count.

Kerry Bascom
Nykesha Sales - 2 time
Shea Ralph
Sue Bird - NPOY
Swin Cash
Renee Montgomey - 2 time
Maya Moore - 4 time NPOY
Bria Hartley - 2 time
Stefanie Dolson - 2 time
KML - 2 time
Morgan Tuck
KLS - 3 time
How soon you forget Gabby (2 time)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How soon you forget Gabby (2 time)
Good catch. Didn't forget her though, just missed her when I was copying down the names. She's on my list (in my files). Still, my bad.

And actually, it looks like USBWA have switched from 1 10 person team to 2 5 person teams to last year a 3 5 person teams. ????

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Kerry Bascom
Nykesha Sales - 2 time
Shea Ralph
Sue Bird - NPOY
Swin Cash
Renee Montgomey - 2 time
Maya Moore - 4 time NPOY
Bria Hartley - 2 time
Stefanie Dolson - 2 time
KML - 2 time
Morgan Tuck
KLS - 3 time
Gabby Williams - 2 time
Here is some reading for you regarding Wall of Honor:

Reaction Score

The article starts out, "There is one way for a University of Connecticut women's basketball player to be inducted into the Huskies of Honor and that's by being named to the Women's Basketball Coaches Association All-America team. That's been coach Geno Auriemma's rule since the honors program started in 2006."

This is what I have always thought.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

The article starts out, "There is one way for a University of Connecticut women's basketball player to be inducted into the Huskies of Honor and that's by being named to the Women's Basketball Coaches Association All-America team. That's been coach Geno Auriemma's rule since the honors program started in 2006."

This is what I have always thought.
Thanks, had never seen that. Doesn't really matter now though. If you're on the 1st team AP or 1st team USBWA, both 5 players teams now, about 100% chance you'll be on the WBCA 10 player team. In fact IF any player ever did make the AP or USWBA 1st team (5 man) and didn't make the WBCA, I think Geno would put their name on the wall. I'd bet your life on it.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if a player had made the 10 person USBWA team and not the WBCA, seeing as how they list all 3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom