Reports of Mikayla Vaughn 6'3" 2017 to ND | The Boneyard

Reports of Mikayla Vaughn 6'3" 2017 to ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is she class of 2017 or 2021?

Mikayla Vaughn, a 6-foot-3 inside presence for Friends’ Central School near Philadelphia, has committed to play basketball at Notre Dame beginning in the fall of 2017. In 78 high school games, Vaughn nearly carries a double-double average – 15.8 points, 9.6 rebounds. According to a report

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We're Doomed!!! :D ;)
@Dillon77 and I have talked about ND's interest in Vaughn before. My daughter who coaches against Vaughn says: great kid & family, she very long and fairly smooth but not overly aggressive defensively or offensively.
ND will probably look to sign more bigs from among (Danielle Patterson, Jade Williams, & LaDazhia Williams). Interesting contrast, UCONN in '17 could be all Wings and ND could be all bigs.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
@Dillon77 and I have talked about ND's interest in Vaughn before. My daughter who coaches against Vaughn says: great kid & family, she very long and fairly smooth but not overly aggressive defensively or offensively.
ND will probably look to sign more bigs from among (Danielle Patterson, Jade Williams, & LaDazhia Williams). Interesting contrast, UCONN in '17 could be all Wings and ND could be all bigs.

The ND coaching staff is pretty "close to the vest" on recruiting matters, but Muffet has stated that she is going to more of a "recruiting by need" basis and that translates into a focus on bigs, for sure, in 2017. In addition to the three you mention, toss in Lauryn Miller, another forward slightly under the radar while recovering from an injury. Given ND's interest in Ms.'s Walker and Westbrook, I think it's safe one wing/#2 is top-of-mind, too.
Good news is that we've got two sophs (Mabrey, Ogunbowale) and an incoming frosh (Jackie Young) there. So, the bigs are the front and center.

Looking forward to Ms. Vaughn. The one other Muffet has made very clear is she increasingly wants to recruit people she wants to be around, so the "great kid & family" attributes are big for MM & Niele Ivey, as well. Good to have one on board....

Reaction Score
Wings against Bigs. That would be a great movie title, not to mention an interesting game.

(Though by 17, Natalie may be playing well, and AZ could certainly move into the 5 in the fluid offense. I think with Batouly and Kyla playing the 4 when needed, UConn will match up well against teams with lots of bigs.)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I watched one of her AAU games from the recent Nike Nationals (the parts when she was in the game, anyway) online. She definitely looks the part and moves very well. She needs technical refinement on both ends but looked pretty good at blocking/altering shots just on instinct. She did a good job of boxing out but I thought she could have been more aggressive in attacking rebounds. Offensively, she looked better at passing than scoring herself. Part of that is just the nature of AAU - guards are looking to shoot, not make entry passes, so she didn't get the ball in scoring positions that much.

In the video of that game, you can see someone in an ND shirt on the baseline. The resolution isn't great but it looked like Beth Cunningham. Guessing she liked what she saw.

Reaction Score
Time to start wondering what Muffett was thinking, recruiting "only" a 3-star athlete, just like a couple of our kids coming in this year. Clearly Notre Dame is also in trouble.:rolleyes:
I believe she is ranked 21 and a 4 star on BlueStar. It just depends where you look. Espinoza Hunter for U Conn is the same way . She has a 6 ft 6 wingspan and is still growing. She could be a sleeper.

Reaction Score
I believe she is ranked 21 and a 4 star on BlueStar.I also read a article that had her #20 and 4 at her position. It just depends where you look. Espinoza Hunter for U Conn is the same way .I've seen her ranked as high as 3 and as low as 36 .Vaughn has a 6 ft 6 wingspan and is still growing. She could be a sleeper.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I just heard that Vaughn will not attend ND. Im waiting on more info.

Reaction Score
My daughter played with and against Mikayla. She and her family are super. She is going to be a hard worker. She is long, athletic and aggressive, given the opportunity. This is the last post on mom's Facebook page had this image, so I assume she is still on board.
13895279_10101526228258622_4283102202001776287_n.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@Tonyc & @TFintheMix any followup on which High School Mikayla transferred to. Just wondering because My Daughter coaches in that league.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Dillon77

Reaction Score
PVI has a great coach and plays in an outstanding conference. However, the 135 mile drive to school must be tough.

Hah! She apparently wanted to practice and play with a team that will elevate her (b-ball) game for college. Sounds like she'll be doing that. Does the school have borders?

Reaction Score
Hah! She apparently wanted to practice and play with a team that will elevate her (b-ball) game for college. Sounds like she'll be doing that. Does the school have borders?

nope, I guess she is an exchange student. There are plenty of them in the WCAC conference, which bans recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom