Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 52 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There was a rumor when the UConn to NBE started last year that FOX would help UConn with the schedule if they were to go independent. Is that not a posibility?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
can we please knock off the football people vs basketball people mantra? Huskies are Huskies.
There are no football fans who hate basketball. The other way around is staggering though. I can get being a basketball fan who is happy about the Big East but people who are treating the potentially grim fate of UConn football as a triumph can suck an egg.

Reaction Score
Crazy:

If these are the American's choices, why wouldn't they ask UConn back as football only? Surely a state school is a much bigger revenue producer for the league than the likes of Charlotte, Old Dominion, Georgia State, Troy, UAB, North Texas, Georgia Southern, Louisiana Tech, FIU, or FAU.

If it’s a purely business ($$) decision, the AAC will consider letting us stay. If it’s about pride or on-field success, there is no way.

Reaction Score
Lots of Nostradami in this thread. Perhaps I should come here for stock tips.....would def end up with a lot of short positions.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I do. The fix for the Pasqualoni and Diaco was never going to be that simple.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but if they hired a good coach when Edsall left then Pasqualoni and Diaco would've never been here to run the program into the ground.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you're saying here, but if they hired a good coach when Edsall left then Pasqualoni and Diaco would've never been here to run the program into the ground.
Oh, got you. Yeah I agree. Pasqualoni was an attempt to appease CT high school coaches and had a lot of success at Syracuse (of course having Donavan McNabb as your QB will do that.) Diaco was a disaster of epic proportion from which we are still digging our way out, but, on paper, the guy was a strong hire having just won the Broyles Award.

I thought you were saying if UConn had hired someone other than Edsall after Diaco, we'd be in the P5 and my reaction was... "uh, no."

Reaction Score
Not true at all, you and upstater only say that now because he has been a dud. Anyone that wasn't on-board then was steamrolled by the apologistas. By the way, has anyone heard from sportsart lately?

You are wrong.

CL82

Reaction Score

Only issue is Norlander still being confused about "rejoining." He's paid to do this

He's not the only one. I cringe every time I read it.

I was on some of the Big East boards and some of their posters are saying "how do we know that UConn won't leave like they did the last time?" CL82: "Uh guys...."

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hurley vs Cooley rivalry is back...

Emotional roller coaster. Gimme Prov. Gimme Nova. Gimme Johns. Gimme Marq. Gimme GTown. Gimme DePaul. Gimme Hall....

DADDY IS HOME!!

Are we really that excited to play Providence College? That’s kind of embarrassing

Reaction Score
As bad as we are in football lately this league is insane if they think they are better off adding North Texas or Georgia State as a full member than letting our football hang around.

UConn is still very much a name in college athletics. You can still use our image in marketing. You can still hang our flags in your arenas. You can claim our national championships.

I think the best move for everyone is a Wichita State type deal for VCU and us staying in football.

Travel is once every other year so it’s basically a non-factor.

We’ll see what happens to their $1B media deal with us gone.

Seems like a no-brainer to me but hey.
If they don’t want us, I have some hope that there is something in the works that keeps football afloat or even improving our status.

Even if this might be right I would think pride would get in the way. AAC is not gonna let UConn dictate terms

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
There are no football fans who hate basketball. The other way around is staggering though. I can get being a basketball fan who is happy about the Big East but people who are treating the potentially grim fate of UConn football as a triumph can suck an egg.

Agreed. I enjoy UConn basketball, but hate their fans and twitter presence and have even come to enjoy the basketball program itself less as a result. I’ve always loved watching UConn basketball, but am more of a football fan in general as a sport. It sucks that supposed “fans” dance on the grave of a program full of good kids who have dedicated themselves to the university we all claim to love...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Were you juiced to play ECU?

No, but people are acting like we’ve hit the lottery because we’re playing a bunch of leftovers. Like I get why people think it’s better, but it’s hilarious that folks are this worked up to play the teams we’d give away from our season ticket haul in the past.

Reaction Score
No, but people are acting like we’ve hit the lottery because we’re playing a bunch of leftovers. Like I get why people think it’s better, but it’s hilarious that folks are this worked up to play the teams we’d give away from our season ticket haul in the past.

I agree with you, but even once the initial over the top euphoria wears off, its still an improvement for basketball. If nothing else, less of the absolutely atrocious road games in empty arenas.

Reaction Score
Playing PC totally gets the juice flowing. Let me circle that date on the calendar. Can't wait to play Seton Hall, too. Oh, and DePaul. Gotta revive the 80s and 90s.

Can we add Merchant Marine Academy and Coast Guard to the schedule? Gets my juice flowing.

Reaction Score
Well yeah... I can drive there and watch us get a road dub and a potential fight between Eddy and Danny. It’s a win-win. You can dive to Tulane or Tulsa if u want, but not Stone Cold.
If we were in the ACC, closest drive would be BC, everywhere else is a distance.

Reaction Score
I’m excited about this move. It’s definitely worth it, especially for a lot of our sports. For those who think that the NBE is nothing like the old Big East, just know they still have 7 of the members before the BE/AAC alignment in 2013. I am worried about football and baseball, but many of our bowls are from Independent if I remember correctly and baseball won’t matter as much as football and basketball. I’m excited for new competition, this was well overdue. Do we have any rivalries in the AAC? Not one I can name besides UC. The NBE is much more fitting for UConn, as the conference has 7 members from pre-2013, and this will renew rivalries with teams such as Georgetown, Villanova, and even PC (They also hate Hurley thanks to the URI and PC rivalry, so that’s a plus). I did some calculations earlier and the average distance from UConn/Bradley Intl. to teams in the Big East is 496.8 miles. The average for AAC teams is approximately 1204.73 miles. This shows we can take buses much more thanks to many NBE teams being in the north east. For the farther places, I’d rather go to Depaul or Marquette than Tulane, as both places are shorter in distance. Shorter distance, less money to spend. These arenas will be packed when UConn enters the building, as 70% of our opponents in the NBE played against us in the Old Big East. I am super excited about this, and for those who aren’t, just trust the university. You guys don’t run any universities and they do. They are doing what they think is best for UConn.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Playing PC totally gets the juice flowing. Let me circle that date on the calendar. Can't wait to play Seton Hall, too. Oh, and DePaul. Gotta revive the 80s and 90s.

Can we add Merchant Marine Academy and Coast Guard to the schedule? Gets my juice flowing.

You're the same guy who gets it up for NESCAC and Yale-Penn football.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
I can understand the anger from the football fans. They got the news this weekend that their program is likely going to die in the near future. As awful as getting relegated to the AAC was, and as awful as the nut kicks of Louisville jumping us in realignment and the Big 12 passing were, this is a worse situation, and you can be damn sure us basketball fans would be just as livid if this were happening to our program.

My one issue is with the posters that complain about the men's basketball fans not supporting all of UConn's teams when I've never seen the vast majority of them post on the men's basketball board. I didn't make UConn football appointment watching, but if I was near a TV I would put the game on and root for a victory. That's about the same level of support that I would expect many of these football-only fans had for the hoops program...and that's fine by me. I don't think anyone should be forced to like a certain sport more than another. But don't complain about the basketball only people not caring about football in the same breath.
Are you Telling me @Butch is only here to act like a baby because he knows its the only place he can whine and people will respond?

CL82

Reaction Score
Are we really that excited to play Providence College? That’s kind of embarrassing
But not any less true. The NBE is for the most part 1) Nova, 2) a depleted Georgetown; 3)the teams we didn't really care about in the Big East; and 4) some additional teams that we don't really care about. Still it is an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom