Report Card vs LIU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Report Card vs LIU

Reaction Score
Do you think Hurley will have a better relationship with him than our other beat writers? He is pretty bland on all of them, and the 1 he has a BAD relationship with, clearly. He seems to have a really great relationship with the national writers though.

No idea. I don’t think it’s something he gives much thought to. He can be a tough guy to get to know, but the way some of the writers describe him is just really weird and not accurate. It just doesn’t match up with anyone who’s played or worked with/for him or knows him in other contexts. Some coaches, like Cooley, cozy up to the press, make everyone feel good and reap the benefits, Some of the writers seem to enjoy being incredibly patronizing to the fanbase, too. Strange stuff. Dan’s always extra cranky in his first years with a program, finds it miserable to try to talk up a team he knows isn’t all that good. The virtual year and not being around players and coaches to cover them made it tough on everyone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No idea. I don’t think it’s something he gives much thought to. He can be a tough guy to get to know, but the way some of the writers describe him is just really weird and not accurate. It just doesn’t match up with anyone who’s played or worked with/for him or knows him in other contexts. Some coaches, like Cooley, cozy up to the press, make everyone feel good and reap the benefits, Some of the writers seem to enjoy being incredibly patronizing to the fanbase, too. Strange stuff. Dan’s always extra cranky in his first years with a program, finds it miserable to try to talk up a team he knows isn’t all that good. The virtual year and not being around players and coaches to cover them made it tough on everyone.

I appreciate that DH tries to mostly keep team stuff within the team, even if it annoys the writers a bit. Particularly JJ who is just a really on a lot of levels. As much as the fans want to know about injuries, who is looking good in practice, etc. we really don't need that information. These are still 17-22 year old kids that deserve some sense of privacy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It felt like Kante wasn't playing as much in the 2nd half as compared to the 1st. I was looking for him on the LIU bench but couldnt see him, however, I sit behind the UConn bench and my point of view down there is restricted - maybe someone else can verify
The Kante kid is a beast and his foot work in getting into position under the hoop was nice. What bothered me about the D that both Akok and Sanogo were applying is that they knew when a pass was coming to Kante but rarely put a hand between the ball and his face.
A few of the fouls that they called on Akok and Sanogo were ridiculous - Kante is the proverbial space eater
"I tried to warn my guys about Kante" ????? - Enough said, hopefully a poor choice of words from DH

He's not that tall, and they absolutely should have been fronting him and denying the entry pass, rather than playing behind him. It's what most teams should do to Sanogo as well. Chalk it up as a learning experience in a game where we could afford one.

Reaction Score
After watching the game live, albeit with limited audio and now the replay I've noticed something about the student section so far this year. I haven't been to a game at home since 2012 (have been to plenty of MSG games since) but noticing that the student section doesn't really do some of the stuff that students used to do during live ball action. For example (and I may be wrong) but not much of the loud yelling and jumping when the opponent has the ball - just chatter and noise that is expected to be there with 10000+ in attendance, haven't heard any of the U C lets go chants, the foul on you whenever theres a foul, etc. They clap and cheer for baskets and positive things that go UConns way as expected but some of the smaller things I feel have slowly gone away. Maybe fans just dont know anymore? Not a knock whatsoever on the student section, they've shown out so far this year and even 2 years ago.

I also realize this is game 3 into a season post covid and haven't played anyone significant yet but just wondering if what im saying holds true. Out of curiosity, do current students not know some of the older student section traditions? Have they gone away cause they sucked? I know the lower section brought back the newspaper thing during intros but does the upper bowl still face their backs to the court and yell SUCKS after every player is introduced?

Reaction Score
After watching the game live, albeit with limited audio and now the replay I've noticed something about the student section so far this year. I haven't been to a game at home since 2012 (have been to plenty of MSG games since) but noticing that the student section doesn't really do some of the stuff that students used to do during live ball action. For example (and I may be wrong) but not much of the loud yelling and jumping when the opponent has the ball - just chatter and noise that is expected to be there with 10000+ in attendance, haven't heard any of the U C lets go chants, the foul on you whenever theres a foul, etc. They clap and cheer for baskets and positive things that go UConns way as expected but some of the smaller things I feel have slowly gone away. Maybe fans just dont know anymore? Not a knock whatsoever on the student section, they've shown out so far this year and even 2 years ago.

I also realize this is game 3 into a season post covid and haven't played anyone significant yet but just wondering if what im saying holds true. Out of curiosity, do current students not know some of the older student section traditions? Have they gone away cause they sucked? I know the lower section brought back the newspaper thing during intros but does the upper bowl still face their backs to the court and yell SUCKS after every player is introduced?
I can confirm we yell sucks after every player announced. And the UC let’s go chant is still in effect

Reaction Score

You're definitely right. Unless the band starts a chant they don't do anything when UConn is on offense. Very low energy & different from my experience at UConn.

Reaction Score
I expect the crowd participation and energy will greatly increase come conference play.
I think so too. I'm just concerned with COVID that things that are usually passed down/learned/whatever you want to call it from year to year didn't make it to this group.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score

Personally I'm stoked on Jackson, he's got the right mindset IMO.

Was glad to see AJ and Polley making some shots - I was thinking Polley would need to ride the pine this season if he isn't making 3s against these early matches. What I liked is he didn't stick to just 3s but made some drives and even a near dunk. The team started slow and snowballed into the show we got at the end. Wild.

Hopefully the increased pace and change in overall offense will continue forward, makes the game a lot more interesting to watch for one. Auburn will be the first real test for sure. One thing that has impressed me though is the team has not lost focus - so easy to do when you are "way better" than your opponent or up by 30. I though with the slow start "uh oh they did the classic over confidence thing here" but nope!

Reaction Score
I think so too. I'm just concerned with COVID that things that are usually passed down/learned/whatever you want to call it from year to year didn't make it to this group.
Anything can happen, but if my thinking is correct, about half of the current student section was around for the season before covid, so they should be ok as far as continuity goes. I think a bigger problem is the enthusiasm of the student body in general, although I think that will take care of itself as we continue to compete for conference championships and deep tourney runs.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Rewatching the game. How the hell is Kante listed at 6'-8" 240? Looked both taller and a lot bulkier than Adama.

Reaction Score
Guess I’m a Debbie Doubter with RJ. Like him to play D, distribute and take some threes. But against medium to better teams no way will he be able to take it inside to the rim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom