B. Adams- 5.0
J. Carlton- 5.0
T. Polley- 4.0
T. Smith- 4.0
K. Yakwe- 3.5

Player of the Game (UConn)- E. Cobb (2)
Player of the NOT Game- T. Polley/the Zebras

Reaction Score
You got Cobb right. everyone else was like a 2.
I'd give Gilbert a 5. JA and CV both had awful games. Maybe I hold him to a higher standard but I felt Jalen looked really bad tonight. Truthfully, he has played ok at times but has not looked great out there. A senior with talent and pro aspirations should dominate. He has not.

Reaction Score
I'd give Gilbert a 5. JA and CV both had awful games. Maybe I hold him to a higher standard but I felt Jalen looked really bad tonight. Truthfully, he has played ok at times but has not looked great out there. A senior with talent and pro aspirations should dominate. He has not.
We share the ball now by design. Jalen is averaging 18, 4 and 4.7 (assists)

So his numbers are down a little but we’re scoring more. He’ll have a 30 point game at some point but the team is still coming together. I don’t think we are necessarily better if he is dominating the ball and being a high volume shooter. We expend too much energy on defense for one guy to do all the work at the other end. I think he’ll be fine, and don’t think we need him to dominate night in and night out.

Edit: he’s also still the team’s leading scorer and we have like 6 guys averaging 8 or more points.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What’s the score for Coach Hurley? If I was grading I would give him a 3 for basically having an ineffective plan and did not see any adjustment in 1st half. Second half I would give him a 5 only because I think he did fire the team up a bit. So an overall 4. He’s entitled to a few flat tires but not too many!

Reaction Score
We share the ball now by design. Jalen is averaging 18, 4 and 4.7 (assists)

So his numbers are down a little but we’re scoring more. He’ll have a 30 point game at some point but the team is still coming together. I don’t think we are necessarily better if he is dominating the ball and being a high volume shooter. We expend too much energy on defense for one guy to do all the work at the other end. I think he’ll be fine, and don’t think we need him to dominate night in and night out.

Edit: he’s also still the team’s leading scorer and we have like 6 guys averaging 8 or more points.
He had the worst 20 point game I can remember, when the game was over he went off. This was a really bad night for Jalen.

Reaction Score
He had the worst 20 point game I can remember, when the game was over he went off. This was a really bad night for Jalen.
Did I say he had a good game?

Reaction Score
And I may have got his assists wrong. Stats are still being updated. But he averaged 18 last year and is this year. Most of his stats are about the same.

Reaction Score
What’s the score for Coach Hurley? If I was grading I would give him a 3 for basically having an ineffective plan and did not see any adjustment in 1st half. Second half I would give him a 5 only because I think he did fire the team up a bit. So an overall 4. He’s entitled to a few flat tires but not too many!
Did you see the video of him getting ejected? Multiple players came to him in support slapping him 5. His game plan sucked. Iowa is better than most have thought. But as crappy as tonight was, this team can still build from this. For that, his rating should start at 5. This rebuild is marathon not a sprint. You can't critique Hurley on the first mile of a very long race.

Reaction Score
Let's just hope this was one of those freaky games and Jalen and AG don't both play like this again in the same game. If they both have really bad games like tonight we basically have no chance of winning.
Iowa was good. They were big. Fundamentally sound. We were flat. The refs sucked. In other words, tonight was sort of the perfect storm of bad. I really don't think we will see tonight's effort again this season. But the reality is this team is what it is. At the start of the year, I didn't think 20 wins and a top 2 finish in the AAC was possible. After tonight, I believe more than ever.

Reaction Score
smith goes up to 7 for that shoulder at the end of the game because of that classless dunk
Carlton is waaaayyy out if this level still. Blocked. Traveling. Dogged on d. Against unknown Iowa bigs. I’ve never felt him as a stud here or any high major. Cobb has been my guy just needs to play better position def I would also like to see him get up to 2-3 assists per game. But turnovers with all these ball handlers is frustrating. But if you go over them they are dropped passes and pokes from our ham handed bigs. Awful shooting doesn’t help either and can’t do anything against a team that can’t miss. Free throws need to return. Hate Ollie all you want but his teams were great at the line. I pray we don’t have flashbacks of 20pt losses. And to get clobbered in msg hurts a little bit more.

Reaction Score
Iowa was good. They were big. Fundamentally sound. We were flat. The refs sucked. In other words, tonight was sort of the perfect storm of bad. I really don't think we will see tonight's effort again this season. But the reality is this team is what it is. At the start of the year, I didn't think 20 wins and a top 2 finish in the AAC was possible. After tonight, I believe more than ever.
I don’t want to agree but to lose to what will be an Iowa team hovering around .500 scares me. Whoever said we won’t lose by 20 on this board after coach getting hired should at least change their screen name as punishment.

Reaction Score
You got Cobb right. everyone else was like a 2.
I thought Jalen had some good minutes the last 10 minutes when we were making our run but everybody else was bad. AG, Tyler Phommachanh and TS all had horrible games.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Cobb gets a B
Everyone else gets a F

Just a terrible game all around. A big let down after yesterday's game against Cuse.
Time to move onto the next game and forgot about this game, for us, not the players who need to learn from this.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
We've gotta keep our expectations in perspective. Before the season started I thought this team could make a deep NIT run. I still believe that. Anything more, for now, is gravy.

Reaction Score
We've gotta keep our expectations in perspective. Before the season started I thought this team could make a deep NIT run. I still believe that. Anything more, for now, is gravy.

Bingo. Expectations for this team should not be that we make the NCAA tournament. As Hurley said, this isn't a Disney channel movie. We COULD do it, especially with how down the conference is this year. But to expect it is to set yourself up for disappointment.

Reaction Score
I don’t want to agree but to lose to what will be an Iowa team hovering around .500 scares me. Whoever said we won’t lose by 20 on this board after coach getting hired should at least change their screen name as punishment.
First, there are always a few teams each year that are way better than most expect. This Iowa team will be one of them. More importantly, in order to evaluate a coach, you need to give him a full cycle of his players. Hurley inherited a bad team with many flaws. He will get them to overachieve. He is a great coach not a miracle worker. Maybe those who have unrealistic expectations should get punished.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom