Report Card vs Hartford | The Boneyard

Report Card vs Hartford

Reaction Score
T. Martin- 8.5: Holy Moly what a get for Hurley. No nerves whatsoever, and did EVERYTHING right besides go 0/2 on free throws. His defense was talked about a lot coming into this season and I still feel like it wasn't given enough credit! What a perfect needed puzzle piece. Welcome home, welcome home young fella.
J. Gaffney- 7.5: Again, loved his game today. Day and night the difference in this kid's game compared to last year. Got beat a couple of times on defense but made it up with some steals/blocks. This kid is just scratching the surface. Invest in this one lads
J. Bouknight- 7.5: En fuego start. His hesis make me feel some type of way. More so worried about his defense. Lazy efforts cost us a few buckets. Seemed tired from Wednesday's game, and confident he'll adjust with better competition.
R. Cole- 7.0: Only one assist tonight, though it was a sweet one. Loving his 3 ball. Can be a liability at times on D, coach needs to nip that.
I. Whaley-7.0: A tale of two tapes here. Showed some goods, but came at a cost. Lacks the soft hands of Sanogo.
A. Sonogo- 7.0: One of 2 players who got jipped on minutes tonight. He belonged out there, more than 11 minutes.
A. Jackson: 6.5: You guessed it, also bent over on minutes. I was as frustrated as I've ever been with Mr. Hurley here. Started off with a great block down low. I also like how ALL his passes are crisp. Needed more time than 5 MINUTES to prove himself.
T. Polley- 6.0: Seemed the most affected by Wednesday's game. Looked like he was dragging heavy legs out there.
B. Adams- 1.0: The only thing Brendan had going for him on Wednesday's game was his shot was dropping. But I noted, those were NOT good shots he took (besides an open 3). And sure enough, tonight, his shot didn't drop on these contested, forced plays. He's the only player on the team that's playing "me-ball". He wants his points, so he forces forces forces. And defensively came up a dud as well. And that somehow earned him 24 minutes!!!! While Andre ThickNeck Jackson got 5?!!?!?!?!? Nawww. Needs to fix this. He had this issue last year, and eventually overcame it.

Player of the Match- Tyrese Martin

Overall note: Going to be one hell of a season. So thankful for Coach Hurley bringing this squad back to relevance and giving us the problem of TOO MUCH TALENTED DEPTH

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mostly agree with your takes. Sanogo is a freshman though and he’s not better than Whaley at this point. Jackson needs more minutes but he does look nervous and stiff out there. It’s great that Cole is nailing 3’s but we need him to run this offense and get his teammates involved.

Reaction Score
I see the exact same thing with Adams. Needs to get some bench time if he continues forcing things. He’s a good shooter when open. But can’t drive and finish and needs to stop.

DH - 3.5. This might have been the worst in-game management by DH since becoming UConn HC.
Post edit: Giving DH a pass. I have to believe he was experimenting this game with the bizarre lineups on the floor.

Last edited:

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
T. Martin- 8.5: Holy Moly what a get for Hurley. No nerves whatsoever, and did EVERYTHING right besides go 0/2 on free throws. His defense was talked about a lot coming into this season and I still feel like it wasn't given enough credit! What a perfect needed puzzle piece. Welcome home, welcome home young fella.
J. Gaffney- 7.5: Again, loved his game today. Day and night the difference in this kid's game compared to last year. Got beat a couple of times on defense but made it up with some steals/blocks. This kid is just scratching the surface. Invest in this one lads
J. Bouknight- 7.5: En fuego start. His hesis make me feel some type of way. More so worried about his defense. Lazy efforts cost us a few buckets. Seemed tired from Wednesday's game, and confident he'll adjust with better competition.
R. Cole- 7.0: Only one assist tonight, though it was a sweet one. Loving his 3 ball. Can be a liability at times on D, coach needs to nip that.
I. Whaley-7.0: A tale of two tapes here. Showed some goods, but came at a cost. Lacks the soft hands of Sanogo.
A. Sonogo- 7.0: One of 2 players who got jipped on minutes tonight. He belonged out there, more than 11 minutes.
A. Jackson: 6.5: You guessed it, also bent over on minutes. I was as frustrated as I've ever been with Mr. Hurley here. Started off with a great block down low. I also like how ALL his passes are crisp. Needed more time than 5 MINUTES to prove himself.
T. Polley- 6.0: Seemed the most affected by Wednesday's game. Looked like he was dragging heavy legs out there.
B. Adams- 1.0: The only thing Brendan had going for him on Wednesday's game was his shot was dropping. But I noted, those were NOT good shots he took (besides an open 3). And sure enough, tonight, his shot didn't drop on these contested, forced plays. He's the only player on the team that's playing "me-ball". He wants his points, so he forces forces forces. And defensively came up a dud as well. And that somehow earned him 24 minutes!!!! While Andre ThickNeck Jackson got 5?!!?!?!?!? Nawww. Needs to fix this. He had this issue last year, and eventually overcame it.

Player of the Match- Tyler Martin

Overall note: Going to be one hell of a season. So thankful for Coach Hurley bringing this squad back to relevance and giving us the problem of TOO MUCH TALENTED DEPTH

Tyrese*

Reaction Score
Probably not... but he gets a boost for this.

Yeah his shot today from 3 was very ugly. He needs to work on that and at least have some respectability out there or teams will sag off him to play him for the dribble drive. The thing though is if you don't pressure him tight he can also make some great passes. I'm looking forward to see how this young man's game evolves.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Also appeared to be one of the few players (along with Martin) who had energy at the end of the game. Conditioning.
The majority of this came in about a 5 minute stretch in the 2nd half...need 40 minutes from this team. If take out the 5 minutes at the beginning of the game and Zays 5 minute stretch in the 2nd half, we got completely outplayed. They were able to consistently stop any fast break opportunities.

Reaction Score
AJ played the point for a few possessions and I thought he looked very comfortable there

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It seems to me that the big flaw yesterday was the inability of the guards to stay in front of their guy and being whistled to death. The refs called it tight, but our guys were definitely reaching to stop the ball when they lost their man. Which also led to some blocking fouls underneath. Which led to Cole, Jackson, Bouk sitting down for long stretches. Which magnified bad ball movement and a bunch of bad shots. Bouk needs to get a tiny bit of that out of control drive to the hoop like Jalen Adams and pull up a few more times. And Polley must’ve been digesting a bad Turkey dinner. How much of all of that is on Hurley, hard to say.

I agree that Cole stepped up big time. As did Gaffney and Whaley. With all of his shortcomings, and obvious strength of Sonogo, I’m still a bit puzzled by the non use of Carlton. He’s no answer, but he’s a senior and had a bunch of pretty good games, too. I know it’s only two games, but few or no minutes, I’m not sure. I wonder if the other two young big kids will see floor time as the season goes on and, of course, Akok is yet to come.

All in all, two wins against hungry, pretty wel coached teams after a screwed up practice season. I don’t expect them to go unbeaten anyway and let’s see how the clear talent comes together.

Reaction Score
Can you explain the 'report card' scoring again? Is a 1.0 a 10/100 so like an F minus minus minus minus minus?
or is it like boxing and a 10 point must system so you scored BAdams minutes 9-1 for Hartford? Wait that is not how the 10-pt must system works, so at worst it'd be Hartford 10 - 7 over Adams minutes (Adams was knocked down 3 times and barely survived the 10 counts). Or is a 10 like getting 200 on the SAT for writing your name?

Why do you then couple it with 'player of the match'? Seems you are trying to mix as much scoring systems and sports jargon as possible to obfuscate your analysis.

Reaction Score
Good work and read. But you can’t say Cole “only had one assist” and his D needs to be worked on and have Gaff rated that much higher. Gaff played 36 minutes, 14 more than Cole and “only had 2 assists” and his D was worst. Whaley and Martin needed to be at top of the report card also, kept us afloat as many struggled with their games and quite frankly their passion a bit. Good call on player of the game no doubt and Adams in this game.

No report card on Danny? He escaped a rough one here!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom