Report Card vs CCSU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Report Card vs CCSU

Reaction Score
A. Sanogo- 9.0: Please don't get it twisted; he made it look easy thanks to his skill, not just because his opponents were poor. This is proven when comparing his stats to any of our bigs in this same game last year. His defense also looked significantly better. He scored some hooks even when doubled (which btw left Whaley wide open for an easy putback if Sanogo doinked it). "I've seen enough, he's special" -Dan Hurley. I'd say we got a pretty good glimpse of it.
Rj. Cole- 9.0: A real maestro out there. Played a sound, near perfect game. His shot looked fantastic. This kid is zoned in. Interesting dynamic to have our two best players be the PG and Center. Cole will be invaluable to us this season, absolutely irreplaceable. (Can't get a 10.0 vs CCSU, btw)
T. Martin- 9.0: Looked fantastic out there. Very very pleased here. Another year under the right system.
A. Akok- 8.5: Well hello there. Led the team in rebounds and blocks. I think he'll benefit the most from playing these first four cupcake games. It's clear he's the player we're rooting for the hardest. Love this kid, and he loves this team.
A. Jackson- 7.5: Loved the 6 rebounds and 4/5 free throws. The green light looks great on him. His defense also saw a much needed jump. And I could talk about his passing all day; from the simple ones to the no-lookers. He's going to be instrumental in Sanogo's success this year as he finds creative ways to get him the rock down low.
I. Whaley- 7.5: Yes please I'll have another. Seems to have picked up right where he left off. Now let's see that 3ball fly.
T. Polley- 7.5: Loved his iso 3ball. A wonderful role player that this team is lucky to have.
J. Gaffney- 7.0: Did his 3pt shot take another step up? Could prove very important for this team.
R. Diggins- Freshman. He's got the bag though
S. Johnson- Freshman. It's uncanny how much more comfortable these two seemed in open practice vs the bright lights. You figure the same will happen for Jordan Hawkins? Hopefully he gets back sooner than later, these early games are like gold for these young'ins.
R. Springs- Not ready just yet.

Player of The Match- A. Sanogo: When was the last time we saw a big handle himself that way wearing a UConn jersey.
Some notes- The coaches looked hot in their fits. I think the kids call it drip drip; with the best dressed going to Luke Murray imo. I thought our team just looked overall one year better, coaches included. Let's not get too too too excited, but I mean, we're going dancing this year. I thought the commentators were great. I'm a fool for not taking the spread.
Personal note- My apologies for being afk last season with my reports; I was pretty tied up in building a house with my girlfriend during the pandemic. Btw the girlfriend is a solid 7.0: she's a 10.0 in personality but a 3.5 in looks. A real dog in the face.

Over and Out
RC

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sanogo is a BEAST offensively and causes some problems on defense but he should never come out high on defense. It causes him issues and fouls.
Central players were absolutely terrified with AJax's long reach
Pork Chop has the quickest hand on defense I have seen on a big guy - wanted to see him put up more 3 balls.
Cole is so much improved when he tries not to force things - he has improved on his pace this year when running the O
Martin is a physical specimen and showed a nice outside touch - love the kids game
Was hoping a lot more out of Johnson, especially after DH's consistent gushing over the young man - it was his 1st game so I will discard this one, he does show unbelievable energy
A slimmer, lighter Gaff looks faster. Gaff is Gaff - never will be a star but he does do things well in spurts. I like him off the bench
Akok showed he has a long way to go to get back to that pre injury level - I want him to be so good
Polley is Polley is Polley
Diggins - I can see glimpses of brilliance and floor vision - a work in process
Hawk - PLEASE get on that court, I can not wait

It was Central but it was refreshing - good to be back in the seat again

Akok played 17 minutes.

8 points
7 rebounds
3 blocks
2 steals
1 assist

That's a helluva lot of activity for his minutes played. Whaley, Sanogo and Akok are taking the lion's share of the 80 minutes a PF and C this year. That's about 27 mpg. Most games Akok is going to get 17-25 minutes.

Reaction Score
A couple of other observations from last night that I don't think have been mentioned (or not mentioned too much yet):

-Gaff got called for an offensive foul and I think probably forced the issue a little too much on at least one iso drive to the hoop. BUT, I will take that any game (especially vs. early-season cupcakes) over him being too passive. He needs to test his limits early season to get tuned for BE play

-The cheers from the crowd (and especially the student section) Akok got when he entered the game for the 1st time made my eyes tear up a little bit (I'm turning into an old softie, it appears)

-Similarly, the chants from the student section for Matt Garry to enter the game near the end were heartwarming.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
A couple of other observations from last night that I don't think have been mentioned (or not mentioned too much yet):

-Gaff got called for an offensive foul and I think probably forced the issue a little too much on at least one iso drive to the hoop. BUT, I will take that any game (especially vs. early-season cupcakes) over him being too passive. He needs to test his limits early season to get tuned for BE play

-The cheers from the crowd (and especially the student section) Akok got when he entered the game for the 1st time made my eyes tear up a little bit (I'm turning into an old softie, it appears)

-Similarly, the chants from the student section for Matt Garry to enter the game near the end were heartwarming.
jmoney gonna tear it up this season. other than that,

jk, lol.
i wanted to post the hopsin (hoopin?) with eminem version, but i don't think it'll make it past the mods. still good tho.
just win, baby.
my minimal interest in soap operas is just aboot over, a victim of the crunchiness too common at the other board.

Reaction Score
lets say hawk was also on the bench- could mean johnson doesnt get in
Yeah it'll be interesting.

I'm not sure we'd play Cole-Gaffney-Hawkins-Polley-Akok if you make strictly just those rotation changes you outlined, but I do think that's illustrative of a problem with the distribution of our best players. Our 2 best big men (the starters) are the biggest physically also, so we probably want to keep at least 1 of them in to play center for most of the time. So then you're ending up with a logjam at the 4 between the Whaley/Sanogo 2nd when both in, Akok, Johnson, Springs, and "small" (or maybe better coined versatile) options Jackson, Martin, or Polley, all of whom could hold their own defensively against some teams and some lineups. 7 players could reasonably play the 4 and only 2 can shown they can play the 5. If Akok can prove he's strong/tough enough to give us minutes at the 5, that'll help ease the minutes crunch somewhat.

The rotation is impossible. There's going to be a lot of hot hand decisions between Gaffney/Hawkins/Jackson/Polley.

Reaction Score
Maybe I missed this already mentioned but two main takeaways from last night:

1. It's been a while since we were a team that was flirting with 100 against inferior opponents including also a team that would dominate inferior opponents essentially from start to finish. That's what I was looking for last night and that was achieved, wish we hit that 3 digit mark though. Overall from the opening tip there was no question we were winning by 25+, nice to be reintroduced to that.

2. Man are we terrible at the lob pass for having so many great athletes. Hopefully that was just opening night jitters but most of those passes were not even close in situations where it was a good play if delivered properly. I don't think I've seen a team be that bad at something so simple for a D1 athlete.

This team is likely, not to be negative, to dominate inferior opponents all year and have some hiccups when the competition is strong as a team of players that have never really succeeded in big games. But after one game I think this feels like the season we have been hoping for as the "we're back." With the potential and higher probability of doing very very special things in 12 months.

Either way ignoring the Huskies for a Champions Tournament in the Garden is likely soon to be a thing of the past. We are the bluest of bloods and it's time to demand that respect again!

boys.....

Reaction Score
Johnson looked like he was 8’ tall out there.

Was wonderful to see Akok out there, seemed like he wasn’t mentally handicapped by his injury.

Looks like Gaffney will battle Diggins for minutes.

Wish AJ shot those threes more, but he made the extra pass to the open man.

What an electrifying game. Woke up this morning early like a kid on Christmas to watch the game.

Is it Saturday yet!?!?!?!?!

Reaction Score
The team looked to be pulling for each other the whole night. After Diggins had made his first appearance and later came out, the whole lot on the bench including coaches were giving kudos.....when Sampson got his 3rd foul in what seemed to be 2 minutes, during the next timeout I think almost every player in the huddle took time to go over and give him a tap on the back with AJ one arm around his shoulder the whole timeout.
It's just one game, and the feel good games help, but this lot has the look of an unselfish winning attitude.
It surely is quite a mix of different roles with different strengths coming from each of the players .

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Johnson looked like he was 8’ tall out there.

Was wonderful to see Akok out there, seemed like he wasn’t mentally handicapped by his injury.

Looks like Gaffney will battle Diggins for minutes.

Wish AJ shot those threes more, but he made the extra pass to the open man.

What an electrifying game. Woke up this morning early like a kid on Christmas to watch the game.

Is it Saturday yet!?!?!?!?!
'Looks like Gaffney will battle Diggins for minutes.'
?!?!?!?!?!?
stick to biking.

Reaction Score
I looked it up, 102-75. Not sure what you're lmao but OK.
Just that it was a much closer game then this one. But yes you got my point. No need to research but if I remember correctly we were also single digits at half.

Reaction Score
Just that it was a much closer game then this one. But yes you got my point. No need to research but if I remember correctly we were also single digits at half.
This is the Boneyard. There is most certainly a need to research: If you are wrong, I can dunk on you and call you a moron!

Sadly, you are correct. UConn led by 7 at halftime.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
This might sound crazy but Diggins made an impression on me. Obviously not ready defensively, but he’s got better size than I thought and has great pace and ball skills. Looking forward to seeing him getting his chances running the offense (maybe not this year).

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This might sound crazy but Diggins made an impression on me. Obviously not ready defensively, but he’s got better size than I thought and has great pace and ball skills. Looking forward to seeing him getting his chances running the offense (maybe not this year).
He'll be a key piece going forward

Reaction Score
This is the Boneyard. There is most certainly a need to research: If you are wrong, I can dunk on you and call you a moron!

Sadly, you are correct. UConn led by 7 at halftime.
hahahaa

Not so sadly.....that was the past we live in the present!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom