Report Card vs Butler part DEUX | The Boneyard

Report Card vs Butler part DEUX

Reaction Score
T. Martin- 9.0: Have yourself a half son. Holy Moly guacomole. It was strange to see him pass up that first open three in the first half. His 3 ball has become such a weapon.
A. Sanogo- 7.5: Sound game overall. Still taking some ill-advised hook shocks but not nearly as many. And his passing is steadily improving. The coaches are getting through to him, you love to see it.
I. Whaley- 7.5: Much much better. What a relief to know he's still got it. A double double for our wrench!
A. Jackson- 7.0: Five assists and seven rebounds for our 3pt sharp shooter. I'd like to see him search for more contact at the rim offensively, rather than float some of these. Four turnovers is one too many for me though.
T. Polley- 6.5: Hit two big threes, and played some impressive defense tonight. He's become much more reliable on the defensive end this year.
R. Cole- 6.5: Not his best shooting night, but found other ways to contribute. Mainly through his leadership; it spills off of him.
J. Gaffney- 6.5: It's momentum, let's see if he can build off of it.
A. Akok- 6.0: Didn't get a fair shake tonight.
J. Hawkins- 4.0: Not today junior! Love his game, keep attacking kid.

Player of the Match: T. Martin- There's our guy, thought we lost him for a second ;)
Game notes: The announcers put it best: we kept our foot on the gas.
-What a terrible first half. Which turned into a fantastic test for our guys.
-Props to the coaching staff for rallying the troops at halftime. I'd pay a lot of money to get that halftime locker room tape. I bet it went something like: "Child please!"

Over and Out
RC

Reaction Score
As long as Sanogo and Martin are on the floor most of the time I’m good. Everyone else are up and down in their play unfortunately. We can beat any team in the country but also lose to anyone.

Reaction Score
T. Martin- 9.0: Have yourself a half son. Holy Moly guacomole. It was strange to see him pass up that first open three in the first half. His 3 ball has become such a weapon.
A. Sanogo- 7.5: Sound game overall. Still taking some ill-advised hook shocks but not nearly as many. And his passing is steadily improving. The coaches are getting through to him, you love to see it.
I. Whaley- 7.5: Much much better. What a relief to know he's still got it. A double double for our wrench!
A. Jackson- 7.0: Five assists and seven rebounds for our 3pt sharp shooter. I'd like to see him search for more contact at the rim offensively, rather than float some of these. Four turnovers is one too many for me though.
T. Polley- 6.5: Hit two big threes, and played some impressive defense tonight. He's become much more reliable on the defensive end this year.
R. Cole- 6.5: Not his best shooting night, but found other ways to contribute. Mainly through his leadership; it spills off of him.
J. Gaffney- 6.5: It's momentum, let's see if he can build off of it.
A. Akok- 6.0: Didn't get a fair shake tonight.
J. Hawkins- 4.0: Not today junior! Love his game, keep attacking kid.

Player of the Match: T. Martin- There's our guy, thought we lost him for a second ;)
Game notes: The announcers put it best: we kept our foot on the gas.
-What a terrible first half. Which turned into a fantastic test for our guys.
-Props to the coaching staff for rallying the troops at halftime. I'd pay a lot of money to get that halftime locker room tape. I bet it went something like: "Child please!"

Over and Out
RC
Right on! Martin was the real hero as we all saw!

Reaction Score
As long as Sanogo and Martin are on the floor most of the time I’m good. Everyone else are up and down in their play unfortunately. We can beat any team in the country but also lose to anyone.
That is a sad but true dichotomy of the current UCONN team.

Reaction Score
If a 2 point 1st half and 25 point 2nd half for Martin isn't up and down I don't know what is
NUmbers do not lie. It is like saying that it snowed .25 inches on Sat then 25 inches Sun ….No the two days are the same.

Reaction Score
NUmbers do not lie. It is like saying that it snowed .25 inches on Sat then 25 inches Sun ….No the two days are the same.
You're proving his point for him. If someone in your scenario asked "did it snow consistently this weekend?" you wouldn't answer yes - it barely snowed on Saturday and snowed on Sunday. If you asked "was martin up and down that game" you wouldn't answer yes - he scored 2 in the first half.

He wasn't knocking Martin, just pointing out that last night was a microcosm of his season - he's an amazing player when he's on but he struggles with consistency.

Reaction Score
You're proving his point for him. If someone in your scenario asked "did it snow consistently this weekend?" you wouldn't answer yes - it barely snowed on Saturday and snowed on Sunday. If you asked "was martin up and down that game" you wouldn't answer yes - he scored 2 in the first half.

He wasn't knocking Martin, just pointing out that last night was a microcosm of his season - he's an amazing player when he's on but he struggles with consistency.
What's amazing is after the first half I was convinced that Martin's left hand is/was bothering him so much that he just couldn't be the offensive force he was at the end of last season. The breakaway where he lost the ball b/c he had to dribble left-handed seemed to be the telltale moment that he just wasn't 100%.

Obviously not the case, my guess is the coaches know this and mentioned to Martin at halftime that he was playing soft. The aggressiveness and emotion won UConn the ballgame, the hot-hand shooting was icing on the cake!

Reaction Score
If a 2 point 1st half and 25 point 2nd half for Martin isn't up and down I don't know what is
Game by game basis not half by half. Those two you can count on every game. Btw Martin brings much more than just scoring if you want to judge how well he plays on just that. Martin does everything well but not spectacular. Yesterday’s scoring was an outlier. You don’t judge a player on buckets alone.

Reaction Score

Well I was agreeing with him. As I said numbers don’t lie. Stats prove inconsistency from one half to the next.

Reaction Score
Game by game basis not half by half. Those two you can count on every game. Btw Martin brings much more than just scoring if you want to judge how well he plays on just that. Martin does everything well but not spectacular. Yesterday’s scoring was an outlier. You don’t judge a player on buckets alone.
Then we can use the 3 points he scored on Tuesday against Butler. I agree he's a very important player for us though who brings a lot more than just scoring. There's just been a lot more up and downs with him since the injury, which is understandable

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Akok played 3 minutes, took and missed one shot and committed one foul. How is that worth a 6.0? He was a shade less productive than a DNP.
The curve starts at 6.0

Reaction Score
Martin is a different player when his lay-ups are falling!
Well it helps when he can hit his outside shot to give to keep defenders honest. It surely opens up the lanes for him and gives him confidence too.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
IW and Martin were co MVPs last night
Martin showed up on the highlights and IW did the little things to keep the 1st half close and allowed UConn to put the foot on the gas in the 2nd

Reaction Score
Cole has been more consistent than Martin.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is the only player that can be counted on to deliver plus stats every game.

AJ has become the second most reliable player.

Martin (todays BY favorite), RJ, Whaley, Akok, Polley, Hawkins, Gaffney…none of them, not one, can be counted on to bring it every game.

RJ is the most critical of this group. Need him to deliver every game. The rest of them? Play whoever decides to show up that night.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I shudder to think what this team's record would be without Cole. Not sure what your expectation possibly could have been to be "down on" him.
Is it possible it was a funny gone wrong?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom