Rentschler Field facing its largest loss since opening as UConn football attendance plummets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rentschler Field facing its largest loss since opening as UConn football attendance plummets

Reaction Score
Sure, make more difficult for most of the fans to attend games.
It costs too much money to subsidize a failing building all for your convenience.

Reaction Score
9,000 a game says it all. If you want to improve the game experience, win games and invest in a staff that can help win games. Reducing access and services just reinforces the poor experience. Step up and invest in success.

Reaction Score
Not to get into the whole UConn-CRDA-XLC arrangement but I'm pretty sure the Wolf Pack's affiliation fee is part of the building's losses.. last I checked the fee is around 1.5m annually.

Reaction Score
Sure, make more difficult for most of the fans to attend games.
A. If they start winning big again it won’t matter if they play in Nutly N J. People will get there

B. The days of sell outs for NJIT and the other dreck games are long gone no matter how good they are. Gampel is the right size for the modern era. And maybe they can get a few students to show up too

Reaction Score
This is a ridiculous angle. UConn is a customer of Rentschler Field. UConn is not in control of Rentschler Field's finances.

Because of that, this is not a UConn football problem. UConn gets enough flack for their athletic department performance, they shouldn't get flack for an area they don't control, nor are they responsible for. They are merely a tenant and have no control or financial stake in any other events house at Rentschler Field. The state built the field, it is the state that runs it independent of UConn.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is a ridiculous angle. UConn is a customer of Rentschler Field. UConn is not in control of Rentschler Field's finances.

Because of that, this is not a UConn football problem. UConn gets enough flack for their athletic department performance, they shouldn't get flack for an area they don't control, nor are they responsible for. They are merely a tenant and have no control or financial stake in any other events house at Rentschler Field. The state built the field, it is the state that runs it independent of UConn.

UConn subsidizing CDRA for a $1/4M, but only if all other events make money is a ridiculous provision. Either increase the rent, or operate as if that provision doesn't exist. As is, CDRA is perpetuating a Welfare stereotype.

Reaction Score
That's how it is done on most college campuses.
Serious question because I'm truly not sure: what other State university subsidizes a failing urban arena? Is this common?

Reaction Score
When the next recession hits this will be meaningful. Until then, it's just another negative data point for a program in decline. If the team is posting 3-9 or 4-8 over the next two years and then the budget deficit explodes due to economy, it's lights out. Otherwise, we will gather with our "first-tier" friends on September 3rd to watch the #109-ranked FBS team take on #115 Zoo-Mass. But the clock is ticking, and taxpayers are digusted.

Reaction Score
Serious question: I don’t know the specifics of the UConn/Rent deal, but wouldn’t dropping UConn football to FCS and playing on campus in a small venue or dropping football all together make the Rent deficit way worse?

It seems like people complain about things when the alternative is even worse. That’s just a negative mindset controlling opinion rather than common sense.

My wife often does it, she complains about things that frustrate her but when I point out the alternative (which is far worse), rather than be happy and move on, she’ll complain about how upset she is that her options aren’t appealing. I will then proceed to explain how to “change her options”, which always involves effort. In the case of UConn football, UConn paying to use the Rent is far better than the Rent having no tenant. The way to make this situation better is to win football games. The way to win football games is to make an effort/invest in it. That won’t appeal to some people right now but that’s the big boy way to solve the problem.

Reaction Score
Why didn’t we just build a stadium on campus? Around $172,000 a game since 2003 is a lot of money. That’s stadium money.

Reaction Score
This is the exact problem with UConn athletics and the fan base.
It is a huge problem and one really that the basketball groupies both inside and outside the Athletic Department have a hand in. When the football upgrade was first being considered there were folks within the AD actively lobbying against it. Still are. It is unreal. Geno actually cultivated his own fan base largely because some tried to undermine his program too. Until he won title after title. I’ve heard there is some of the same nonsense going on around the hockey program now too and went into the decision to build a small on campus arena. We wouldn’t want those pesky hockey fans showing up and taking parking from basketball fans on a Saturday after all.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is the exact problem with UConn athletics and the fan base.
It is something I've never seen or heard of at any other major university. Does anyone know of a school where fans refer to themselves as basketball or football fans and not (Insert School name) fans? I fight this all the time with my friends who grew up here and are die hard bball fans. They support the football program but hated it from the second it left us in the AAC and was over the moon when it may have gone away or did whatever to get the bball team back to the Big East. Unreal.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not to get into the whole UConn-CRDA-XLC arrangement but I'm pretty sure the Wolf Pack's affiliation fee is part of the building's losses.. last I checked the fee is around 1.5m annually.
wow

Reaction Score
I am an alum and a massive sports fan. Rooting for EVERY Uconn sport is natural to me. I am checking up on golf, women’s hockey, softball and any other sport all the time! Not to mention being totally all in on hoops, hockey, baseball and football.

So I certainly don’t understand the mentalityof not rooting for the school in everything but there is no denying it happens with Uconn and quite frankly it sucks. Also, the constant negativity when we are doing poorly. It never stops.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom