Rent being re-sodded as we speak... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rent being re-sodded as we speak...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really like grass fields and hope you guys keep it. It's a treat to see a field with grass instead of turf.

You guys better hope this gets fixed asap though. Imagine the headlines if an opposing player snaps his ankle because of the field which was a known issue....won't bode well for UCONN in the media.

Reaction Score
The field sits on concrete. I wonder what was in the concrete mix more than I wonder what was in the dirt. I say this because with the right concrete they may have focused on preventing any contaminates/toxins from wicking up through the concrete. I am not a structural or environmental engineer but I would have hoped that there would have been collaboration between several fields to ensure the safety of the players and the integrity of the field and the environment the field sits on. This stadium was not a cheap endeavor. We should also be mindful that this land was donated from P&W, and although P&W may have had ulterior motives lets not assume this to be the case. Also, if field integrity is an issue, would UConn be allowed to play games outside of the Rent? This has been the big stumbling block for going to the professional stadiums in New York or Boston.

Was the fact that UTC had used this land as a dump prior to " donating it " to the State made public during construction of the Rent? I don't remember anything about it prior to this thread. As usual good deal for the stockholders. We've had other years where the field was rehabbed by grounds crew members during stoppages in play. This isn't the first time.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Was the fact that UTC had used this land as a dump prior to " donating it " to the State made public during construction of the Rent? I don't remember anything about it prior to this thread. As usual good deal for the stockholders. We've had other years where the field was rehabbed by grounds crew members during stoppages in play. This isn't the first time.
I remember there was an environmental cleanup before construction. Not uncommon for industrial sites that get repurposed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What does a full re-sod cost? I imagine that it has to be six figures. The sad thing is that maintenance throughout the off season (which would have cost a fraction of what new sod runs, and likely not much more in labor than that part of the install) would have kept the grass in near perfect condition.

Reaction Score
What does a full re-sod cost? I imagine that it has to be six figures. The sad thing is that maintenance throughout the off season (which would have cost a fraction of what new sod runs, and likely not much more in labor than that part of the install) would have kept the grass in near perfect condition.

In 2011 it was $150k I believe - not sure that "better" year round maintenance would have kept this from happening if it actually was a incompatibility issue between existing soil and new sod that was installed. May have figured the problem out faster?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In 2011 it was $150k I believe - not sure that "better" year round maintenance would have kept this from happening if it actually was a incompatibility issue between existing soil and new sod that was installed. May have figured the problem out faster?

If that is the case, then you can add stupidity in not securing the correct sod to begin with as part of what were easily avoidable problems.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I heard through a "source" that the new sod is the same variety that is used by a certain mid-western P-5 conference...

Reaction Score
There was this in 2007. And there were several other years when crappy turf wasn't written about.

My comment was not intended to say that there hasn't been grass/turf issues in the past - just pointed towards the allegation that it's being caused by the field being built on top of a supposed waste dump for Pratt.

Maybe/Hopefully the new turf vendor for Global can solve the problem.

Reaction Score
My comment was not intended to say that there hasn't been grass/turf issues in the past - just pointed towards the allegation that it's being caused by the field being built on top of a supposed waste dump for Pratt.

Maybe/Hopefully the new turf vendor for Global can solve the problem.

Agreed the 'built on a dump' defense is very, very, very lame

Reaction Score
There was this in 2007. And there were several other years when crappy turf wasn't written about.

previous turf issues were due to concerts during the summer and fall destroying the turf. This year it's football that's destroying the turf. Big difference.

Reaction Score
previous turf issues were due to concerts during the summer and fall destroying the turf. This year it's football that's destroying the turf. Big difference.

IMO what's destroys the Rent turf year in and year out at Rent is a lack of direct-line accountability and too many chefs in the kitchen. It is nowhere near as hard to maintain a field as it it made to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom