Rent being re-sodded as we speak... | The Boneyard

Rent being re-sodded as we speak...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
per jacobs...
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-jacobs-column-1016-20131016,0,5325599.column

And make no mistake, there are some icy feelings at UConn right now about the Rent. People at the school, I'm told, are extremely frustrated, to the point where there are questions about safety and game officials commenting to UConn people about the conditions.
Something had to be done and on Tuesday Chris Lawrence of Global Spectrum, which took over management of the XL Center and Rent this past summer, said something is. A process of removing sod in the center of the field began Tuesday and re-sodding will take place Thursday and Friday. The 3 1/2-week window, Lawrence said, will allow appropriate preparation time before the next home game Nov. 8 against Louisville.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Sorry, I just noticed this was posted in the "what's up with the grass man" thread already... but kind of buried anyway.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
This is part of the problem. No root system development. They need to get some experts in there. Hundreds of schools have real grass that does not tear up like that when there has been no rain in days.

Reaction Score
So many state agencies and quasi agencies involved. No one is in charge so no one can he held accountable.

Just a joke.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Separation of interests. The Rent Mgmt, if it's anyone but UConn has an interest in spending as little a possible in maintenance of the field. Where else can they play? An AG school like UConn should have an immaculate field.

Reaction Score
So many state agencies and quasi agencies involved. No one is in charge so no one can he held accountable.

Just a joke.

OPM/CRDA should consider going after the people who laid the turf that caused the incompatibility. They had strict requirements in the 2011 RFP. http://www.rentschlerfield.com/rentschlerfield_rfp_grassreplacement-3.pdf - Sure Bushnell Management Services used the same turf company they did this spring that they used in 2011 before Global Spectrum took over in July 2013.

CONTRACTOR QUALIFICATIONS

Eligible firms will be those companies that have a demonstrated track record
(MIMINUM THREE YEARS AND FIVE FIELDS) relating to NATURAL GRASS STADIUM
SAND BASED FIELD INSTALLATIONS AND/OR REPLACEMENT. Statements of
Qualifications must include a list of college and/or professional sports field
installations of sand based field construction that the firm has successfully
completed. Respondents must also detail their active participation and engagement
of constructing sand based athletic fields. Respondent will be required to perform at
least 80% of the reconstruction of the field with own company personnel. Any
subcontracting will be subject to the approval of BMS. Laser grading of the sand
based rootzone prior to the installation of the bluegrass sod is a mandatory
requirement of this project. Respondent must also provide experience using laser
grading equipment and name the specific operator proposed.

BLUEGRASS SOD QUALIFICATIONS

Sod: Sand grown Bluegrass turf, certified by the United States Department of
Agriculture. The sand growing medium for the sod shall be at least 90% medium to
fine sand and shall have a percolation rate of at least 3 inches per hour as verified by
laboratory testing. Test data to be provided at time of bid. No exceptions for
percolation rates less than 3 inches per hour will be considered.

Sod shall be jumbo roll (1/2” thickness, minimum 42” cut) and have the following
varietal mixture minimum:

40% P105
30% Midnight
30% Apollo

Reaction Score
The area The Rent was built on is also the area where the waste from Pratt was dumped way back when. Up at Hamilton, now UTAS, another UTC place, this area is now grass and is fenced in with warning signs all around.

When The Rent was built, they obviously dug way down and got rid of a lot of dirt/etc, but one would think there are still remnants in the land. I'm guessing this has something to do with the roots not sticking, just a thought...

Reaction Score
The area The Rent was built on is also the area where the waste from Pratt was dumped way back when. Up at Hamilton, now UTAS, another UTC place, this area is now grass and is fenced in with warning signs all around.

When The Rent was built, they obviously dug way down and got rid of a lot of dirt/etc, but one would think there are still remnants in the land. I'm guessing this has something to do with the roots not sticking, just a thought...

Wasn't nary a problem for the first 8 years...

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

The sod on the field isn't even in contact with the original soil I don't believe. There is an irrigation system between the two layers.

Reaction Score
BLUEGRASS SOD QUALIFICATIONS

Sod: Sand grown Bluegrass turf, certified by the United States Department of
Agriculture. The sand growing medium for the sod shall be at least 90% medium to
fine sand and shall have a percolation rate of at least 3 inches per hour as verified by
laboratory testing. Test data to be provided at time of bid. No exceptions for
percolation rates less than 3 inches per hour will be considered.

Sod shall be jumbo roll (1/2” thickness, minimum 42” cut) and have the following
varietal mixture minimum:

40% P105
30% Midnight
30% Apollo
Personally, I think they should go with 100% Northern California Sinsemilla. Grows like a weed and no one will complain about the results!

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Twitter _ jacobscourant_ New sod being put in at ...jpg

Reaction Score
Rentschler Field Getting New Turf While UConn On Road:.cour.at/18sTGWG

Reaction Score
I still think it's the jinx of that coyote logo, or if not the jinx, the inks!

Reaction Score
I long for the days when the grass was green and we could all see the remnants of the Hartford Colonials logo on the field. Ahh, those were the days

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

The field sits on concrete. I wonder what was in the concrete mix more than I wonder what was in the dirt. I say this because with the right concrete they may have focused on preventing any contaminates/toxins from wicking up through the concrete. I am not a structural or environmental engineer but I would have hoped that there would have been collaboration between several fields to ensure the safety of the players and the integrity of the field and the environment the field sits on. This stadium was not a cheap endeavor. We should also be mindful that this land was donated from P&W, and although P&W may have had ulterior motives lets not assume this to be the case. Also, if field integrity is an issue, would UConn be allowed to play games outside of the Rent? This has been the big stumbling block for going to the professional stadiums in New York or Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom