Reminder: Coach P didn't recruit any of these players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Reminder: Coach P didn't recruit any of these players

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnWitt

Because Fartman69 was taken.
Reaction Score
I don't want to hear it. This is on the coaching staff. Anything with Hathaway's finger prints on it sucks...I implore President Herbst to hire a new AD after Pendergast's term is expired, and for he/she to hire a new coach. I really do like HCPP as a person- I do, but this is terrible. HCPP have taken a respectable roster and dumb them...did you watch the defense?!? WTF happened? O-Line? I thought we were good?!? Ugh...watching this game did not give me that "warm and fuzzy" feeling in my gut.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I don't want to hear it. This is on the coaching staff. Anything with Hathaway's finger prints on it sucks...I implore President Herbst to hire a new AD after Pendergast's term is expired, and for he/she to hire a new coach. I really do like HCPP as a person- I do, but this is terrible. HCPP have taken a respectable roster and dumb them...did you watch the defense?!? WTF happened? O-Line? I thought we were good?!? Ugh...watching this game did not give me that "warm and fuzzy" feeling in my gut.

Settle down Mr. Burton

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The passing under 1o yards was OK as was the rushing.

That's what they need to execute: short, high percentage plays consistently. 4 to 5o f yards a play. Pick up Jones or Moore when wide open and throw the ball away when in traffic.

They can build off this by stocking to high percentage fundamentals. Execute the boring stuff first. As with this game some games are won by who screws up less and by opportunistic defense, eliminating TOs, and Penalties.

Reaction Score
Not to mention, this was game number 1 against a real team.

I can already tell this is gonna be a fun season on the Boneyard.

So, when Vandy loses 63-10 to 'Bama will we still call them a real team. This is going to be a long two years until we get get this awful PP hire behind us.

Reaction Score
When I said last week that this team reminded me of the 2005 team, I had hoped that I was wrong. But this team seems to have the same low ceiling even if there is some good talent sprinkled in on defense.

Too early to panic, but after on scoring 35 points on a team with 35 scholarships and losing to a team we blasted last year, I am concerned.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Is it that obvious? F this...I'm going swimming in my money bin.

The thing I never understood is why he would complain and flaunt his cash, but never offered to front the big bucks for a bigger name.

Reaction Score
Coaching staff looked lost. Plays sent in late, this rotating qb thing is a joke, and the gimicks a worthless. Tell me how the team that rolled over Vandy in such dominating fashion on the first drive lose that game? QB was terrible and pass prote took was iffy....but the coaches were no prize either last night.

Reaction Score
Are you guys serious???? McIntee was 10 for 37 for for 99 yards and 3 INT's. He threw a pic directly to the CB as he was trying to avoid getting hit and it got returned for a TD when we were up 21-14. He also had 2 or 3 pics dropped by the defense.

I have issues with some of the play calling so the coaches to deserve SOME blame. They avoided the run in the 1st half after they got down by 1 TD. On Macs pic 6 TD everyone in the stadium knew Vandy was going to blitz...why not call a screen??? Same drive...up 21-14...2nd down was the absolute perfect time to call play action but we ran right up the gut. I don't think I saw play action the entire game. I don't think I've seen a screen in 3 years.

Yes some of it was on the coaches but if not for Johnny Mac we win this game. 90% of the blame is on Mac and the pic 6. If he takes the sack we win the game but instead he tried to avoid being hit, threw the ball with his back turned and probably had his eyes closed. Once they tied the game was over because the offense is .

Reaction Score
Are you guys serious???? McIntee was 10 for 37 for for 99 yards and 3 INT's. He threw a pic directly to the CB as he was trying to avoid getting hit and it got returned for a TD when we were up 21-14. He also had 2 or 3 pics dropped by the defense.

I have issues with some of the play calling so the coaches to deserve SOME blame. They avoided the run in the 1st half after they got down by 1 TD. On Macs pic 6 TD everyone in the stadium knew Vandy was going to blitz...why not call a screen??? Same drive...up 21-14...2nd down was the absolute perfect time to call play action but we ran right up the gut. I don't think I saw play action the entire game. I don't think I've seen a screen in 3 years.

Yes some of it was on the coaches but if not for Johnny Mac we win this game. 90% of the blame is on Mac and the pic 6. If he takes the sack we win the game but instead he tried to avoid being hit, threw the ball with his back turned and probably had his eyes closed. Once they tied the game was over because the offense is .

He was 10 of 27. But that is still pretty scary. Not going to cut it in the Big East.

Reaction Score
The biggest mistake P made was leaving Mac in at QB after the pick 6 in the 4th. McCummings would have been a better choice going with option. Couldn't be worse.

Pick a QB other than Mac and stick with him.

My choice is McCummings and option, option, option.

Might be a tough year. The jury is still out. Remember it only really counts in BE play. They rebounded from the UL game last year.

Too early to panic.

The one thing we knew this year was that we were going to have a problem at QB. We all knew this. Well, we have a problem at QB.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Disagree with you 100%. This team went to a BCS bowl last year. Yes it is missing some valuable pieces but the cupboard was far from bare. Just look at the defense to see what I am talking about.

Can't polish a turd, as they say.

I can see why Edsall ducked out when he did.

Reaction Score
Disagree with you 100%. This team went to a BCS bowl last year. Yes it is missing some valuable pieces but the cupboard was far from bare. Just look at the defense to see what I am talking about.

The offensive cupboard was pretty damn bare. Like I said in the other thread - no proven playmakers at skill positions (Todman gone, Smith academically ineligible - not P's fault), lost our best OL, lost our Big East Offensive Player of the Year RB, lost our QB who was at the very least a lot better than what was shown last night. And what was behind those players? At QB - no one who was ready to take the reins. At RB - decent but certainly not at the Todman/Dixon/Brown level that we RELIED ON FOR ALL OUR OFFENSE. OL is clearly the strength of the offense, but even they have struggled a bit in pass pro, and unlike previous years, we weren't able to run very successfully when it became blatantly apparent that we couldn't throw the ball.

P has recruited a new QB, a CT state player of the year. If he sucks, I'll join in on the bitching. Until then, I find it really hard to blame P for not having a QB who is ready this year.

Reaction Score
Edsall

So Edsall recruited a bunch of terds that were good enough to beat Vanderbilt handily last year, but then left a bunch of terds that couldn't get the job done this year. That's a gem of a point.

Reaction Score
I find it really hard to blame P for not having a QB who is ready this year.

Is it ok to blame P for calling 27 pass plays for a QB who looked awful all night long?

Is it ok to question why he didn't use his dual threat QBs more often considering the lack of pocket presence and the increase in QB pressures during the game?

Is it ok to blame P for not calling shorter quick hitters instead of the intermediate routes that kept getting intercepted or broken up (and nearly intercepted)?

I find it really hard to excuse P for using the QB the way he did considering the incredible lack of production and his repeated comments that production would determine the amount of playing time given to each QB.

Reaction Score
The offensive cupboard was pretty damn bare. Like I said in the other thread - no proven playmakers at skill positions (Todman gone, Smith academically ineligible - not P's fault), lost our best OL, lost our Big East Offensive Player of the Year RB, lost our QB who was at the very least a lot better than what was shown last night. And what was behind those players? At QB - no one who was ready to take the reins. At RB - decent but certainly not at the Todman/Dixon/Brown level that we RELIED ON FOR ALL OUR OFFENSE. OL is clearly the strength of the offense, but even they have struggled a bit in pass pro, and unlike previous years, we weren't able to run very successfully when it became blatantly apparent that we couldn't throw the ball.

P has recruited a new QB, a CT state player of the year. If he sucks, I'll join in on the bitching. Until then, I find it really hard to blame P for not having a QB who is ready this year.

this is a great post.

im absolutely livid about how awful that game was last night. i would rather have taken a hammer to the nuts a few times....wouldve been slightly less painful. However, we're 2 games, and ZERO recruiting classes into PP's tenure.

I agree with some who said that there were coaching mistakes last night.....but i remember we all bashed our former coach for not passing enough (even though our QB's were awful). Now we have a relatively similar QB situation (mac sucks right now too), but at least we actually attempted to pass. i would much rather have it this way, than the other way. at least he's trying to keep the other defenses honest, and not killing our RB's. the only the passing game will improve is if we practice it, and do it in games....which is something the last coach wasn't even willing to try after 2005

I want to see a few more games, and at least 1 PP-recruited QB, before i start killing PP

Reaction Score
but i remember we all bashed our former coach for not passing enough (even though our QB's were awful). Now we have a relatively similar QB situation (mac sucks right now too), but at least we actually attempted to pass.

No, we didn't all bash him for not passing enough. Some of us have said over and again that you coach the team you have, not the one you want, and running the ball and relying on defense is how we will win games until we get a decent QB. Last night proved that.

We kept passing until it cost us the game. We couldn't run the ball in the second half, but we were better off punting and relying on defense if we wanted to win that game, because throwing the ball put points on the board for them, and also shortened the field for their offense.

What happened to Nebrich? If he isn't hurt, there is no reason for him to not have played in the second half. Why only a few snaps for McCummings? He showed he can loosen up the offense with the play action, but we reallly didn't bother using him much.

One could argue that your post is proof that some actually would rather throw the ball and lose, than run the ball and win.

Reaction Score
Is it ok to blame P for calling 27 pass plays for a QB who looked awful all night long?

Is it ok to question why he didn't use his dual threat QBs more often considering the lack of pocket presence and the increase in QB pressures during the game?

Is it ok to blame P for not calling shorter quick hitters instead of the intermediate routes that kept getting intercepted or broken up (and nearly intercepted)?

I find it really hard to excuse P for using the QB the way he did considering the incredible lack of production and his repeated comments that production would determine the amount of playing time given to each QB.

I have said here and other places I don't agree with all the coaching decisions last night. I couldn't believe they didn't just run and punt, I texted all my friends and family who would care angry text messages. Coaches are guilty of believing too much in the players. Maybe in practice Johnny Mac makes that play. That's one of the unknown factors we don't know here on a message board but no one lets that deter them from thinking they know exactly what happened.

I'm, at the very least, willing to reserve judgement on the coaching staff's gameplanning and such for a month or so while they can sort out who is and isn't ready to contribute right now. And I'm going to keep in mind that these aren't P's players and that he's hit the ground running recruiting. 'Til then, keep bitching at every little detail you can. Must be fun.

Reaction Score
No, we didn't all bash him for not passing enough. Some of us have said over and again that you coach the team you have, not the one you want, and running the ball and relying on defense is how we will win games until we get a decent QB. Last night proved that.

We kept passing until it cost us the game. We couldn't run the ball in the second half, but we were better off punting and relying on defense if we wanted to win that game, because throwing the ball put points on the board for them, and also shortened the field for their offense.

What happened to Nebrich? If he isn't hurt, there is no reason for him to not have played in the second half. Why only a few snaps for McCummings? He showed he can loosen up the offense with the play action, but we reallly didn't bother using him much.

One could argue that your post is proof that some actually would rather throw the ball and lose, than run the ball and win.

wow. its convenient to quote half of a post and respond to that, and ignore the part where i explained what was quoted just a couple sentences later.

well done sir

lets try again.....
i think we should pass the ball until we get it right. figure out who the QB should be, then tailor the playbook to his strengths (whoever it may be). but we cant give up on passing (again), and beat our RB's to death (again), and be amazingly predictable (again)....because we can win 6-9 games per year that way (just like weve been doing), or we can develop a well-rounded offensive attack (like every great team), and become a great team ourselves. that may take a few lumps, like throwing the ball when were not ready yet, and maybe losing a few extra games in year 1....but it will also convince a few QB & WR recruits that we can be a program that knows and values the passing game. And maybe one of those recruits will say "hey...i can beat out those QB's they already have and get playing time early", and maybe he's great,and maybe we can establish a passing game...finally.

but we will never get there by running the ball 500 times per game, and losing to every good team we play. We need to pass, to learn how to pass.

i didnt like the pass play on 3rd and 9. i thought it was a dumb call....but im not gonna crush PP just yet, because i need to see more than 1 game against an FBS opponent, in a new system, with a new QB, and a new RB, and many new OL, and a new OC, to know weather or not a coach is any good.

apparently you dont...and i wish i could be as cool as you, but i cant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom