Remembering: THE Shot | The Boneyard

Remembering: THE Shot

Reaction Score
would Geno be laughing if the score were tied? What would they all have done?

Hunkered down and won the game, win one for Swin. Then laugh.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Great for UConn - sure. But I would argue "The Shot" was the winner in the UNC / La Tech title game in 1994. Not because I was rooting for them, or care that they won, but rather, it was one of the defining moments to popularizing women's basketball. Especially when it was followed by the UConn undefeated season and the ever charismatic Rebecca Lobo.

In fact, I would not be a WBB fan if it wasn't for the nationally televised shot. Before that, my wife just thought it was stupid I liked women's basketball. After, she was open and bought me tix the next year to a Rutgers / GW game. One live game, and we were hooked.

Rutgers version of "the shot" varies, an early Shawnetta Stewart half court shot is a candidate; full court runs to score under the basket by Prince (2007 regional) and Scaife (WNIT finals) were most important.

Reaction Score
Does anyone really believe that the lady from NC was able to catch a long in bound pass, take a hop, and then release the shot completely off her fingertips in .7 of a second. No way that would stand now. Was there no review back then?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Bob Picozzi "somebody lend that young lady a compass". One of my all time favorite moments not related to a NC or other huge win. The reaction of Swin and the bench was priceless!

Not for nothing, but the OP posted a fun snippet of a video from many years ago, and the first 4 replies go on to debate that Swin's basket wasn't "the shot", and discuss other "shots" in UCONN's history. Goodness people. It's a fun video that should make people smile, and probably one of the most memorable shots ever for Swin...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Bob Picozzi "somebody lend that young lady a compass". One of my all time favorite moments not related to a NC or other huge win. The reaction of Swin and the bench was priceless!

Not for nothing, but the OP posted a fun snippet of a video from many years ago, and the first 4 replies go on to debate that Swin's basket wasn't "the shot", and discuss other "shots" in UCONN's history. Goodness people. It's a fun video that should make people smile, and probably one of the most memorable shots ever for Swin...
That was hysterical - I didn't watch the video originally, I just assumed it was a real "great shot", I'm sure UConn has a history of them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The shot for me was actually 2 shots by Sue Bird in one of the greatest WBB games ever played, the 2001 Big East championship between #1 ND & #2 UConn at Gampel.

Bird’s first miracle shot was a half-court buzzer beater at the half after she caught the ball on the run, side-stepped a ND defender and threw up a shot from half-court hitting nothing but net.

But the most consequential shot started when ND missed 2 FT’s with 5 seconds left. Bird got the ball and raced down the full length of the court, shooting an off-balance, running one-hander with less than a second on the clock. The ball bounced on the rim and fell through giving the Huskies a 78-76 victory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom