Remembering the Field House | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Remembering the Field House

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My 4 years were 1963-67, matching Wes B., Tom Penders, Bill Holowaty Ron Ritter (good guy) and coach Fred Shabel, and over lapping Dom Perno, Dan Hesford, Ed Slomczenski and Toby Kimball (1 to 3 years ahead of me) and Bill Corley, a year behind me. Some of our best teams until the Calhoun Era.

The Field House was jammed no matter the opponent. UConn opened every season against AIC and without focusing on it, I know I would have seen Calhoun play for them Students had the best seats along the sidelines, lower deck and the end zones. It was not unusual for a game to be date night for students.

The lights were shut off over the stands and only shone over the court. My freshman year, when freshmen couldn’t play varsity, the frosh team was so good, students packed the place early and got in free with a student ID (imagine, the game was played for students, not donors.). Because that led to overcrowding, the next year students were charged fifty cents and have been paying ever since. There was no women’s team, several years before Title IX changed things.

When students stomped on the bleachers, you could see the dust rise. Games with arch rival URI were always close and we’re always for the YanCon leadership with UMass a wannabe. The game my senior year with Rutgers when Wes dueled Bobby Lloyd, both in the top 3 scoring nationally with 40 to 39 points and knocked Rutgers out of a tournament bid (NIT I think, the NIT was a big deal then), was a classic.

I don’t believe I missed a single home game. One word on Kimball. Hands down the best rebounder in school history and maybe college history. Boy could the men use him now. About 6’9” with broad shoulders and sharp elbows, he was a nice guy but tough as nails on the court. He set an NCAA tournament record in a memorable losing game to St. Joe’s of Philadelphia with 29 rebounds. He was also a reliable scorer with a short hook shot. He played several kind of unremarkable years in the NBA. Not quite fast enough for a high level of play and trouble getting the hook shot off as a 6’9” center.

Not sure about the others, but sadly Toby , Wes and Bill Corley (excellent shooter, very quick who at 6’7” could jump out of the building) have all passed away.

Reaction Score
Thank you to all the posters on this thread. This is a great Christmas present. :):):) I hope some more posts come in.

I wanted to learn more about Wes and Kimball, etc. These guys were legends when I was at UConn. Hearing such moving details about the Field House and the players from people who were there 10-15 years before is truly a "wanted present."

I have a few more such posts up my sleeve. :)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
WES===the Popper--could regularly drop in a TWO from half court. His range was memorable. Bill Corley, Bobby Boyd, Tommy Penders, most were true Student athletes-. Toby was the first Uconn kid I remember ever going pro-he did it in Italy.-How about the WALKER that got UConn to the NIT's in the Garden??

Toby played in the NBA for the old San Diego team and later the Celtics. Maybe some others. I remember him getting late into a TV game for the Celts and clunking 2 foul shots with Bill Russell laughing on the bench. I actually have a Kimball bubble gum card from when he played in SD. Have to hunt it down, but I know I still have it somewhere. One of the great political upsets of all time. Toby I think had been Jr. class Pres and seemed a shoe-in for Senior Pres. The twin brother of a guy in my dorm, Joe Dolan ran against him in a pretty sophisticated campaign and beat him. The Dolan brothers played football at my hs, Weaver of Hartford, 2 of the more unlikely gridders you've met, but Joe was a decent running back. They convinced me to run for student Senate and I was probably the only candidate with a campaign manager. I was unknown and came in 3rd out of 18 with the top 12 being elected from the Jr. class. Piece of cake for the Dolans after unseating Toby who was truly popular.

I'm not so sure Wes was hitting from half court, but 25-30 feet for sure. If the 3 point line had existed, he probably would have been guarded differently, but at guard he was a rangy 6-2 as were many college forwards at the time. In the ABA he led the league as a rookie in 3 point%, but his role changed drastically when one of the all time prolific scorers in pro history, Rick Barry, famously jumped from the NBA to the ABA on Wes’s team and pretty much was the show. I don't know if they still have it, but in the spring UConn used to hold a week long charity drive, that included a carnival mid-way in the Field House. One of the "skill" games was making 2 of 3 foul shots into an 11 foot high hoop over a water tank with a female student on a dunking stool to take a bath if someone could pull it off. She was high and dry for a long time. Then I witnessed Wes walk up. OK, he was a great foul shooter something like a crazy 99/101 on his frosh team and some streak of over 30 on the varsity. But you'd think even he would have to adjust to a hoop a foot higher. Nope. Hit the first two and into the drink.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My 4 years were 1963-67, matching Wes B., Tom Penders, Bill Holowaty Ron Ritter (good guy) and coach Fred Shabel, and over lapping Dom Perno, Dan Hesford, Ed Slomczenski and Toby Kimball (1 to 3 years ahead of me) and Bill Corley, a year behind me. Some of our best teams until the Calhoun Era.

The Field House was jammed no matter the opponent. UConn opened every season against AIC and without focusing on it, I know I would have seen Calhoun play for them Students had the best seats along the sidelines, lower deck and the end zones. It was not unusual for a game to be date night for students.

The lights were shut off over the stands and only shone over the court. My freshman year, when freshmen couldn’t play varsity, the frosh team was so good, students packed the place early and got in free with a student ID (imagine, the game was played for students, not donors.). Because that led to overcrowding, the next year students were charged fifty cents and have been paying ever since. There was no women’s team, several years before Title IX changed things.

When students stomped on the bleachers, you could see the dust rise. Games with arch rival URI were always close and we’re always for the YanCon leadership with UMass a wannabe. The game my senior year with Rutgers when Wes dueled Bobby Lloyd, both in the top 3 scoring nationally with 40 to 39 points and knocked Rutgers out of a tournament bid (NIT I think, the NIT was a big deal then), was a classic.

I don’t believe I missed a single home game. One word on Kimball. Hands down the best rebounder in school history and maybe college history. Boy could the men use him now. About 6’9” with broad shoulders and sharp elbows, he was a nice guy but tough as nails on the court. He set an NCAA tournament record in a memorable losing game to St. Joe’s of Philadelphia with 29 rebounds. He was also a reliable scorer with a short hook shot. He played several kind of unremarkable years in the NBA. Not quite fast enough for a high level of play and trouble getting the hook shot off as a 6’9” center.

Not sure about the others, but sadly Toby , Wes and Bill Corley (excellent shooter, very quick who at 6’7” could jump out of the building) have all passed away.

When folks talk about Kimball's "lack" of success in the NBA, let's keep in mind when he was drafted there were NINE teams in the league. Admittedly there probably was a "quota" system to minimize the number of African-Americans playing, but still a very impressive feat just making an NBA roster !!

Reaction Score
Toby played in the NBA for the old San Diego team and later the Celtics. Maybe some others. I remember him getting late into a TV game for the Celts and clunking 2 foul shots with Bill Russell laughing on the bench. I actually have a Kimball bubble gum card from when he played in SD. Have to hunt it down, but I know I still have it somewhere. One of the great political upsets of all time. Toby I think had been Jr. class Pres and seemed a shoe-in for Senior Pres. The twin brother of a guy in my dorm, Joe Dolan ran against him in a pretty sophisticated campaign and beat him. The Dolan brothers played football at my hs, Weaver of Hartford, 2 of the more unlikely gridders you've met, but Joe was a decent running back. They convinced me to run for student Senate and I was probably the only candidate with a campaign manager. I was unknown and came in 3rd out of 18 with the top 12 being elected from the Jr. class. Piece of cake for the Dolans after unseating Toby who was truly popular.

I'm not so sure Wes was hitting from half court, but 25-30 feet for sure. If the 3 point line had existed, he probably would have been guarded differently, but at guard he was a rangy 6-2 as were many college forwards at the time. In the ABA he led the league as a rookie in 3 point%, but his role changed drastically when one of the all time prolific scorers in pro history, Rick Barry, famously jumped from the NBA to the ABA on Wes’s team and pretty much was the show. I don't know if they still have it, but in the spring UConn used to hold a week long charity drive, that included a carnival mid-way in the Field House. One of the "skill" games was making 2 of 3 foul shots into an 11 foot high hoop over a water tank with a female student on a dunking stool to take a bath if someone could pull it off. She was high and dry for a long time. Then I witnessed Wes walk up. OK, he was a great foul shooter something like a crazy 99/101 on his frosh team and some streak of over 30 on the varsity. But you'd think even he would have to adjust to a hoop a foot higher. Nope. Hit the first two and into the drink.

Wes regularly hit from half court---could be he only did it when I went to his games---which were all at the old Field house. TIC named him the Popper for those long range shots. Yea those were ONLY 2's. But I saw him dribble up to near the half court line and let it fly--and score. Argue whether he;d make those shots--it's a circular argument. We'll never know. Muscle memory, does not adjust easily --that's what makes it great.
My memory of Toby is Italy games, recorded in an article in a center piece of a Sunday Newspaper. Could have been after the USA Pro's---Nice run down on toby and wes.

arch

Reaction Score
Amazing thing about that team was that pre-injury Holowaty was just as good a shooter. Or maybe, just maybe my mind is just slipping away. Skipped more than one Colt House dinner to see Wes, Bill, PJ, Thompson and the younger Ritter play ball in the Field House. The eventual varsity point guard, Tom Penders couldn't break into the starting lineup until the following year?

They lost only one game. A JC team beat them (Leichester JC?)

Just realized that I've gone a tad off-topic for the women's board. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes. My pick up games with and against some of the women. Played against shea who was tough as nails and I got abused down low by Rigby. I know but what can I say I'm only 6ft. I did even it out with some nice jumpers.

Played intramural there and nearly a few fights. Good times.
That's a cool memory!

Reaction Score
Used to play on the green synthetic floor. Our freshman dorm B.B. team won the freshman division, beat the grad students, and narrowly lost to the frat team for campus champs. Oh to be young.

Reaction Score
I was at UConn when Dr.J was at UMass and really all he could do was jump - but my he could do that !! He worked very hard through the years on his shooting and ball handling to become who he did morph into. BTW, when he arrived at UMass he was 6'3. One game at Curry Hicks cage (when he was leading the nation in rebounding) I decided to keep track of his rebounds, legitimate rebounds (shot has to hit the rim, cannot hit the floor,etc.) and the halftime stats were announced that he had 19 rebounds !! I counted FIVE legit rebounds so I stopped counting in the second half. I also thought UConn's Ron Hrubala did a credible job against him in their match-ups
Kurebeach, do you remember if Hrubala was left handed? There is a thread on UConn's best basketball lefties.

Reaction Score
The game my senior year with Rutgers when Wes dueled Bobby Lloyd, both in the top 3 scoring nationally with 40 to 39 points and knocked Rutgers out of a tournament bid (NIT I think, the NIT was a big deal then), was a classic.

I believe that game was played in February 1967. I came up from New Brunswick on the Thursday, picked up my girlfriend's brother and then drove through heavy snow to the game. It indeed rocked, and even though we lost it was great fun and I was treated very well by the UConn fans. Rutgers actually did participate in the NIT, losing to a Walt Frazier led Southern Illinois team in the semi-finals. The other Rutgers guard was Jim Valvano

Reaction Score
the first time I experienced UConn basketball, albeit men's. It was in the late 70's, when I was a grad student at Storrs. Any memories of the Field House or the "old" days to share?

The coldness of the Field House, the roof leaks.
If you were the old days, I'm not sure what we were, 'cause I first stepped into the Field House in 1967.
Here's an old picture I snapped with my first color Instamatic back then:
UCONN Field House 1967.jpg

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
My distinct memories of the Field House come from the very early 70's...
1)Sneaking in with my friends on occasion to play basketball, dodging puddles from the leaky roof. 2) Going to the UMass game in 1970 (?) with my uncle and cousin to see some guy named Julius who had apparently learned to fly. :D

Reaction Score
I was struck by the way the press treated Geno in the Duquesne presser. Besides the tournament, I never see the Geno pressers in away games. The home-game pressers are dominated on the press side by the horde, folks Geno knows well.

These guys, mostly Canadians (you can tell by their accents :) ), were so respectful, almost a bit formal, treating Geno as he deserved to be treated, as the great spokesman for women's college basketball, the elder statesmen who has brought so much to the sport. And he seemed to respond, being very open and insightful.

That got me thinking to the first time I experienced UConn basketball, albeit men's. It was in the late 70's, when I was a grad student at Storrs.

Interestingly, this was just before the Big East was formed. UConn was getting good, with Corny Thompson and Mike McKay, et al. (I date myself, sigh.)

Hmm, the two things I remember the most from those games in the Field House were how hard the benches were and how close I was to the action. I can still see the flow in my mind's eye.

How far we have come with Gampel and the XL Center (called the Hartford Civic Center in my day), and so many games on national TV, etc., etc.

Any memories of the Field House or the "old" days to share?
Oh, yeah. I was at UConn in the mid/late 80's studying sports Medicine/athletic Training. Part of our required classwork was a number of "Sports Technique" courses. One of the courses I took was basketball, taught by a little Italian guy, who was just hired to coach the Women's Basketball team. Right away, you could tell that he loved coaching, regardless of whether it was his players, or a bunch of students. The big requirement for a grade, aside from a "skills" evaluation, was to attend one of the games in the Field House, and write a paper, evaluating the team and game. Fun stuff, seeing how sparsely attended the game was, along with students making use of the track inside of the Field House. Good stuff!

Reaction Score
I used to play with Corny Thompson (and others) during pick-up games in the Field House. I played against Corny Thompson in High School basketball (Middletown High)...but he didn't remember me when he got to UConn.

So imagine his surprise when I ( a 6ft skinny white kid who could really, really jump) dunked (yes, dunked) over him (yes, over him) in a pick-up game with many of his friends watching.

I caught Corny totally by surprise and the place erupted.

For those of you who knew him, Corny was good natured...not a mean bone in his body...just a nice guy. I ran into him later that evening at the Storrs Movie Theater (anyone remember those days?) He remembered me then, and quipped..."you know that is never going to happen again!"

We laughed about it...it is the kind of thing that you only get away with once. Next time, had I tried, I have little doubt that I would have been plastered all over the Field House wall/floor.

Thanks for the reminiscing....loved the Field House.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom