Remembering the Field House | The Boneyard

Remembering the Field House

Reaction Score
I was struck by the way the press treated Geno in the Duquesne presser. Besides the tournament, I never see the Geno pressers in away games. The home-game pressers are dominated on the press side by the horde, folks Geno knows well.

These guys, mostly Canadians (you can tell by their accents :) ), were so respectful, almost a bit formal, treating Geno as he deserved to be treated, as the great spokesman for women's college basketball, the elder statesmen who has brought so much to the sport. And he seemed to respond, being very open and insightful.

That got me thinking to the first time I experienced UConn basketball, albeit men's. It was in the late 70's, when I was a grad student at Storrs.

Interestingly, this was just before the Big East was formed. UConn was getting good, with Corny Thompson and Mike McKay, et al. (I date myself, sigh.)

Hmm, the two things I remember the most from those games in the Field House were how hard the benches were and how close I was to the action. I can still see the flow in my mind's eye.

How far we have come with Gampel and the XL Center (called the Hartford Civic Center in my day), and so many games on national TV, etc., etc.

Any memories of the Field House or the "old" days to share?

Reaction Score
I was struck by the way the press treated Geno in the Duquesne presser. Besides the tournament, I never see the Geno pressers in away games. The home-game pressers are dominated on the press side by the horde, folks Geno knows well.

These guys, mostly Canadians (you can tell by their accents :) ), were so respectful, almost a bit formal, treating Geno as he deserved to be treated, as the great spokesman for women's college basketball, the elder statesmen who has brought so much to the sport. And he seemed to respond, being very open and insightful.

That got me thinking to the first time I experienced UConn basketball, albeit men's. It was in the late 70's, when I was a grad student at Storrs.

Interestingly, this was just before the Big East was formed. UConn was getting good, with Corny Thompson and Mike McKay, et al. (I date myself, sigh.)

Hmm, the two things I remember the most from those games in the Field House were how hard the benches were and how close I was to the action. I can still see the flow in my mind's eye.

How far we have come with Gampel and the XL Center (called the Hartford Civic Center in my day), and so many games on national TV, etc., etc.

4400 usually packed the joint.

I recall the lighting. During play the stands were much darker than the well illuminated court. And of course it was the warmer light of old-style light bulbs.

In 1973 all home games were at the Field House in Storrs. A battered Field Hockey field before the Library. Hawley Armory still stood and once I was lucky enough to play on its ancient floor.

But getting tickets was blessedly easy for undergrads. Official sale dates were rigorously adhered to at the Ticket Office. 9 am at the Ticket Office in the “lobby” of the Field House. Show your Student ID and get up to 4 (?) tickets for 50 cents each.

Is anyone researching, recording, planning to write re the Field House...or Hawley ?

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
From UConn82 (I can't get the "Quote button to work) - <<How far we have come with Gampel and the XL Center (called the Hartford Civic Center in my day), and so many games on national TV, etc., etc.>>

Hartford Civic Center was the name of the entire building. The sports venue was named The Veterans Memorial Coliseum. I wonder if they still call it that or did they dump it the same way they dump veterans nowadays.

Reaction Score
I saw many men's games there in the 70's. Recall Tony Hansen, Whelton, Thomas, Abro, etc. It was great fun when I was a student and you got to the ticket office early when tickets went on sale. I think they were $1.
You got to the game early because students didn't have assigned seats. You climbed up on the old wooden bleachers and squeezed in! I think official capacity was 4,465 but of course students found other ways in and the bleachers were usually packed. When the game got going, the bleachers would literally rock! It was a great atmosphere. Big games were against UMass and URI (any one else remember the students' URI chant?). Syracuse and Rutgers were the best of the East. It was exciting if the team got into the NCAA tourney (often didn't) Good times!
I played a little intramural womens BB both there and in Hawley.

Reaction Score
Oh, I forgot about getting the tickets. :)

I lifted weights in the depths of the Field House. :)

I remember Abro when he came back after the knee injury. Tony Hansen was a bit before my time, but his legend was very alive.

Speaking of UMass and legends, people at UConn in those days spoke in whispers about the stuff Julius Erving did at UMass. Is there tape?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
From UConn82 (I can't get the "Quote button to work) - <<How far we have come with Gampel and the XL Center (called the Hartford Civic Center in my day), and so many games on national TV, etc., etc.>>

Hartford Civic Center was the name of the entire building. The sports venue was named The Veterans Memorial Coliseum. I wonder if they still call it that or did they dump it the same way they dump veterans nowadays.

Kibitzer was wont to remind us of the actual name of the arena although I haven't seen it in some time so maybe that name is defunct. Too bad.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
4400 usually packed the joint.

I recall the lighting. During play the stands were much darker than the well illuminated court. And of course it was the warmer light of old-style light bulbs.

In 1973 all home games were at the Field House in Storrs. A battered Field Hockey field before the Library. Hawley Armory still stood and once I was lucky enough to play on its ancient floor.

But getting tickets was blessedly easy for undergrads. Official sale dates were rigorously adhered to at the Ticket Office. 9 am at the Ticket Office in the “lobby” of the Field House. Show your Student ID and get up to 4 (?) tickets for 50 cents each.

Is anyone researching, recording, planning to write re the Field House...or Hawley ?
Hawley is still there, I walked around inside it last spring. I remember standing room only seats on the literal floor along the baseline for a game against BC in 1980. The Fieldhouse was a decrepit place, but I loved it. Still think we should have the state outline at center court as it used to be.

Reaction Score
As a grad student from 72-76 I often worked crowd control for MBB ($10 per game). Memories include LeeOtis Wilson being drafted out of the intramural league to hit high arc bombs (only worth 2 points, alas), Cal Chapman getting called for traveling on the same move every game, and the team doctor falling asleep on the bench at the game that earned UConn an invite to the NIT.

Reaction Score
Oh, I forgot about getting the tickets. :)

I lifted weights in the depths of the Field House. :)

I remember Abro when he came back after the knee injury. Tony Hansen was a bit before my time, but his legend was very alive.

Speaking of UMass and legends, people at UConn in those days spoke in whispers about the stuff Julius Erving did at UMass. Is there tape?
I was at UConn when Dr.J was at UMass and really all he could do was jump - but my he could do that !! He worked very hard through the years on his shooting and ball handling to become who he did morph into. BTW, when he arrived at UMass he was 6'3. One game at Curry Hicks cage (when he was leading the nation in rebounding) I decided to keep track of his rebounds, legitimate rebounds (shot has to hit the rim, cannot hit the floor,etc.) and the halftime stats were announced that he had 19 rebounds !! I counted FIVE legit rebounds so I stopped counting in the second half. I also thought UConn's Ron Hrubala did a credible job against him in their match-ups

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Two of my roommates and one of our friends drove from Boston to Storrs for a basketball game and 'party weekend' in January (67?). During the game at the Field House our slightly inebriated friend went outside for some unknown reason and promptly got lost. The rest of us searched the campus for hours after the game but never found him and just went back to the dorm where we slept on the floor. The next morning we found him sleeping in a car parked next to the Field House. We still don't know how he didn't freeze to death. . .

Reaction Score
I was at UConn when Dr.J was at UMass and really all he could do was jump - but my he could do that !! He worked very hard through the years on his shooting and ball handling to become who he did morph into. BTW, when he arrived at UMass he was 6'3. One game at Curry Hicks cage (when he was leading the nation in rebounding) I decided to keep track of his rebounds, legitimate rebounds (shot has to hit the rim, cannot hit the floor,etc.) and the halftime stats were announced that he had 19 rebounds !! I counted FIVE legit rebounds so I stopped counting in the second half. I also thought UConn's Ron Hrubala did a credible job against him in their match-ups

Thank you. His jumping was what people spoke about. I surmise it is something like Gabby's physical ability. :)

Reaction Score
As a grad student from 72-76 I often worked crowd control for MBB ($10 per game). Memories include LeeOtis Wilson being drafted out of the intramural league to hit high arc bombs (only worth 2 points, alas), Cal Chapman getting called for traveling on the same move every game, and the team doctor falling asleep on the bench at the game that earned UConn an invite to the NIT.
I was at UConn from 71-75... played against Lee Otis in intramurals, before he moved up to varsity. He was scoring 40+ per very short intramural game, almost all from WAY downtown. I remember Chapman, as well as Joey Whelton and Tony Hansen...

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I was there through 1967. I remember coach telling us not to take a recruit into the Field House if it were raining. The roof was a veritable sieve. The floor was dirt - or rather mud - when it rained.

Reaction Score

Corny Thompson --(could be another Thompson) invented the phrase in the old Yankee Conf: Jam the Rams. Uconn was playing the Ram's --the wife and I got to the game a bit late and were in the midst of RAM's---when the cheering started--the wife shouted out---JAM THE RAM--no need to say how that went over with our bench mates (bleachers)--but she was just aglow with glee.
I liked the drafty old, hard wooden bench seated, cold or hot, Uconn Field house---and the parking lot in the winter--felt like the artic--January games were risky for my old pickup at least once --it would not start in that below zero parking lot.

Reaction Score

Yes. My pick up games with and against some of the women. Played against shea who was tough as nails and I got abused down low by Rigby. I know but what can I say I'm only 6ft. I did even it out with some nice jumpers.

Played intramural there and nearly a few fights. Good times.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
When in high school, my fellow players and I thought it was a gigantic and wonderful arena.
We played there 2 different years in the State High School Tournament.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Willimantic. My father took me to games as a kid. You'd walk into the huge, dark and unheated space, across the dirt floor to the imposing free-standing bleachers and the brightly lit court.

I remember watching Toby Kimball, and, particularly Wes Bialosuknia. In those pre 3 point days, the other players would set up around the key , and Wes would come dribbling down court alone, take a couple of steps across the mid-court line, and then launch a shot...swish.

Reaction Score
Corny Thompson --(could be another Thompson) invented the phrase in the old Yankee Conf: Jam the Rams. Uconn was playing the Ram's --the wife and I got to the game a bit late and were in the midst of RAM's---when the cheering started--the wife shouted out---JAM THE RAM--no need to say how that went over with our bench mates (bleachers)--but she was just aglow with glee.
I liked the drafty old, hard wooden bench seated, cold or hot, Uconn Field house---and the parking lot in the winter--felt like the artic--January games were risky for my old pickup at least once --it would not start in that below zero parking lot.

Oh, the parking lot. I parked in the "F" lot when I was in grad school. In the winter, the wind always blew in my face walking up the long, long hill to the buildings. I still think I am cold from that wind. :)

Reaction Score
The last game I saw at the field house was against St. Peters. Corny Thompson and company. It was like gyms all over. Springfield, Worcester, Prov, etc. seemed like every New England town had a field house with a barrel roof which leaked.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Willimantic. My father took me to games as a kid. You'd walk into the huge, dark and unheated space, across the dirt floor to the imposing free-standing bleachers and the brightly lit court.

I remember watching Toby Kimball, and, particularly Wes Bialosuknia. In those pre 3 point days, the other players would set up around the key , and Wes would come dribbling down court alone, take a couple of steps across the mid-court line, and then launch a shot...swish.
WES===the Popper--could regularly drop in a TWO from half court. His range was memorable. Bill Corley, Bobby Boyd, Tommy Penders, most were true Student athletes-. Toby was the first Uconn kid I remember ever going pro-he did it in Italy.-How about the WALKER that got UConn to the NIT's in the Garden??

Reaction Score
Yes. My pick up games with and against some of the women. Played against shea who was tough as nails and I got abused down low by Rigby. I know but what can I say I'm only 6ft. I did even it out with some nice jumpers.

The Big Rig: "I don't foul em --I roof em". Playing against Shea in pickup games was taking body, soul, and life itself into her hands--she played for BLOOD and WINs. She and her best bud--Svetie regularly played "pickup games" against guys, and won. So you were lucky to survive. Nice story!!!!

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Ahh, reading more of these great snippets jogged my memory. After Jim C was here a couple of years he took UConn to the NIT which he won. My friends and I were truly over the edge. Unfortunately my seats for the games at the Field House were what we could charitably call 'limited visibility'. We were along the corner entry and back far enough that we could only see slightly more than 1/2 of the court. Didn't stop us from being totally out of our minds during the games!

Reaction Score
During a game against Rhode Island, the UConn students started to chant-

"U...R...I. U..R...I"

I wondered why they were cheering for the hated opponents.

Then they completed with- "U..R..I..N.. E....sssssssssss"

Reaction Score
Thank u! Shea had black mouth guard in and all. It's something I'll never forget. I got such a respect for them and looking back on it was really one of the cooler things I got to do. The girls were so nice. I got to hang with Amy Duran, Sue Bird a bit. Very reserved, respectful, and kind people.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've posted it before but my most vivid memory of the fieldhouse is the cloud of "smoke" that hung in the air. When the place was jumping the noise would literally shake the dust from the rafters. I'd never want to go back and Gampel is a great place to play, but being at those old fieldhouse games is a great memory. Packed to rim with enthusiastic students and unbelievably loud, it was a great home court advantage.

[Oh and 82, you and I probably lifted there at the same time. So thanks the for the spot!]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom