Remembering Shabazz | The Boneyard

Remembering Shabazz

Reaction Score
Last night, Jackson and Hawkins had me shrieking at the TV, more than once. Then during the UConn advertisement, Kemba showed up screaming in triumph, and I remembered that he had admitted that Shabazz had made him crazy with some pretty bad decisions. Jackson will find control and Hawkins will learn to hold onto the ball. We'll be OK, even if we're hoarse along the way,

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hawkins is a freshman. I expect great things from him but he needs to be given at least a little bit of time to develop the parts of his game that need improvement.

I have never seen our fanbase turn on a player more quickly than what I saw in the chat room last night about Hawkins. I am still very bullish on him; I would also like to see us run some plays for him, especially to have him come off screens. He was open a lot last night and calling for the ball and his teammates largely ignored him. I don't know what's up with that; maybe they don't trust his handle, either, but at least a few times he was camped outside the three-point line (a la Ray) and calling for the ball, but no one passed to him.

Maybe we could afford him 1/10th the playing time and patience that AJ has had before we declare him a bust?

Reaction Score
Hawkins is a freshman. I expect great things from him but he needs to be given at least a little bit of time to develop the parts of his game that need improvement.

I have never seen our fanbase turn on a player more quickly than what I saw in the chat room last night about Hawkins. I am still very bullish on him; I would also like to see us run some plays for him, especially to have him come off screens. He was open a lot last night and calling for the ball and his teammates largely ignored him. I don't know what's up with that; maybe they don't trust his handle, either, but at least a few times he was camped outside the three-point line (a la Ray) and calling for the ball, but no one passed to him.

Maybe we could afford him 1/10th the playing time and patience that AJ has had before we declare him a bust?
I noticed also that it looked like they did not want to pass him the ball. I hope there are no internal issues on this team. Exactly what I was afraid of with so many players that think they should get playing time.

Reaction Score
Last night, Jackson and Hawkins had me shrieking at the TV, more than once. Then during the UConn advertisement, Kemba showed up screaming in triumph, and I remembered that he had admitted that Shabazz had made him crazy with some pretty bad decisions. Jackson will find control and Hawkins will learn to hold onto the ball. We'll be OK, even if we're hoarse along the way,
Shabazz almost cost us the NC iwith a huge TO in 2011 then made two FT to redeem himself. If we lost that game and for some reason didn’t win in 2014 he would be in Donyell missing FT class at UConn.

Reaction Score
Shabazz almost cost us the NC iwith a huge TO in 2011 then made two FT to redeem himself. If we lost that game and for some reason didn’t win in 2014 he would be in Donyell missing FT class at UConn.

He was two Brimah free throws from being Taliek or Ricky. He was the third guard in 2011 behind Kemba and Lamb.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure we ran one offensive play all night and it was that play to get Hawkins the open three that he drilled. It was a thing of beauty and it needs to become a fixture in our offense.

Reaction Score
Shabazz almost nearly gave away the game in the Final Four against UK in 2011. He lost the ball with like 20 seconds to go and gave UK a chance to take the lead. I think it was Brandon Knight or Doron Lamb that ended up missing the 3 which would have sunk us.

Bazz's freshman year was all over the place at times. He'd look really good and then make the dumbest mistake ever the next possession

Reaction Score
I remember Shabazz hit two free throws to give uconn a 69-66 lead and eventual final score in the Big East Championship game. I still see that advertisement where Shabazz hugs Kemba after that basket against Pittsburgh.

Reaction Score

AMEN.

To help put things in perspective, here's Bouk's game log at the start of his freshman season:

1638384919129.png

I can't imagine what the Boneyard looked like after the Iona or Indiana game.

But, staying on thread: Shabazz is the man.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

The yard =/= the fanbase. The yard has been unbelievably hard on our players this year for seemingly no reason. Everyone here is grumpy and seems to revel in finding things to hate an complain about

Reaction Score
The yard =/= the fanbase. The yard has been unbelievably hard on our players this year for seemingly no reason. Everyone here is grumpy and seems to revel in finding things to hate an complain about
Right, UConn twitter is far more outwardly supportive of the players. This place buries any teenager that dares to have a bad five minutes on the court.

Reaction Score
I have never seen our fanbase turn on a player more quickly than what I saw in the chat room last night about Hawkins.
Really? That seems pretty normal around here.

Reaction Score
ITs covid. We`ve all been going through it and the frustration manifests in different ways. The other day some guy asked me the time and i cracked him with a 4x4 over the noggin. Not really but it crossed my mind because he startled me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom