Remembering "Olde Coach" | The Boneyard

Remembering "Olde Coach"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
DogWarden: thank you for that reminder. Olde Coach loved sports and athletes in general and
certainly had a very soft spot in his heart for the UConn team and the individuals that made it up.

BTW: if your local library does not have the book 'Heart of a Husky' by Mel Thomas, urge them
to purchase a copy....or get one yourself. Edited by Warren...and a great read for all Husky fans.

Reaction Score
DogWarden: thank you for that reminder. Olde Coach loved sports and athletes in general and
certainly had a very soft spot in his heart for the UConn team and the individuals that made it up.

BTW: if your local library does not have the book 'Heart of a Husky' by Mel Thomas, urge them
to purchase a copy....or get one yourself. Edited by Warren...and a great read for all Husky fans.
Had the good fortune of corresponding with Warren a few years ago, sharing our appreciation for all things UCONN. He then proceeded to send me a signed copy of the book, with a card of the picturesque Vermont countryside. Not only was his Boneyard commentary insightful and value added, but, his generosity and engaging nature's transparency made it clear why he was so successful as a coach, and admired by those he came into contact with.

Reaction Score
DW: thoughtful of you to remember this. After Olde Coach became ill, we spoke several times by phone. He handled his adversity with courage, grace, and optimism. And, he knew his stuff in the world of sports.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I never met him in person...only talked on the phone. What a honor to know him...

Reaction Score
Had a long phone conversation with him on ACL injuries. He was convinced, and convinced me, (left knee no ACL) that too much stretching, especially of the big quadriceps muscle, but also the hamstring, was the culprit. I never stretch my left quad anymore, and my knee doesn't pivot shift nearly as badly. I had at that time a child playing basketball about whom I was concerned. It was so kind of him to tell me, on the Boneyard, to call him. He even posted his phone number. We also talked UCONN women's basketball, of course. Just loved him. He mentioned Mel's book, and recommended it. But of course I already had a copy and had read it. That delighted him.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
OldeCoach was class personified.

Some folks are familiar with Warren's treatise on free throw shooting. OC would have been thrilled this year, as BOTH the UConn women and UConn men led the nation in FT percentage.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I miss OC greatly. Most evenings after a game he would call and we would speak for an hour or more. It drove my wife nuts. We discussed what we had seen, what was going on, what wasn't going on, what options were available for the next game. We discussed orthopedic inserts and sneakers , old and new ski equipment (I once worked in the ski industry at the largest ski and skate shop in CT) including everything from lace up boots and cable bindings to the most recent new boot company he saw making some transformational design and material changes, we talked foul shooting and its relationship biomechanically to archery and other accuracy sports and I connected him with Larry Wise, we talked eye capture and visualization as part of shooting. We discussed dozens of other topics including many mentioned above. We talked about Burke Mountain Academy and its history and people I knew who had attended there and his insights into educational theory. His intellectual curiosity was boundless. I miss OC greatly.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
God Bless Olde Coach A Great Husky Fan, a Great man, and a Great American.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've said this before but the thing that struck me the most about Warren was his keen mind, particularly as to athletics. He could break down and figure out how to maximize the mechanics of anything. He had a great mind and he was happy to share his knowledge with anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom