Remember When | The Boneyard

Remember When

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cowherd said Uconn was going to B1G...One can only hope he was a few years late.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/381525-big-ten-looks-to-expand-uconn-seems-top-candidate

WOW read this one comment, this guy must have had a crystal ball

"
ohiostate_logo1_crop_45x45.jpg

Ron Jones posted over 2 years ago
Contributor I
@Angelito: Sorry about that accidentally hit the "post comment button"
I originally planned on hitting each point but I think one response answers them all. Jim Delany said it best when he stated that the Big Ten is not interested in a short term relationship. They are looking at adding a team that will be a strong member academically, financially, and athletically for 25-50 years. All of these problems that you refer to are ephemeral. 5-10 years from now no one will care or remember. Calhoun may be coaching may not but that doesn't change the fact that UConn is a great program in a great location at the right time.
Another reason that I like UConn is that they fit the Big Ten mold of large Land Grant universities. One thing that the Northeast lacks is large public schools (although there are plenty of spectacular private ones). If the Big Ten grabs UConn and Rutgers then they'll have 3 of the 5 large Land Grants on the northeastern seaboard (UMass & Maryland are the others). But who knows the Big Ten may even go after Maryland to try and dominate the Boston to DC corridor although I don't know how likely it'll be for Maryland to leave the ACC.
It's up in the air right now but a conference with Penn State, UConn, Rutgers, maybe Maryland and Syracuse would absolutely clean up in TV money in th northeast. Add Notre Dame to make it an even five and it's checkmate NYC."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom