Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
1) when it was announced RE had left the program
2) when it was announced who our next coach would be
3) when it was announced PP was fired
4) when it was announced TJW would serve as interim
5) when it was announced BD was hired as head coach

and then relate all the above to how you're feeling now? Any different from point 1 to today? Maybe a high, ok that's extreme, let's say moderate feeling of pride of a program that albeit wasn't spectacular but possibly going places even with a blow out to power house OK? I know I for one had pride and was proud of our football program and direction I thought it was headed, then RE left. I immediately thought, oh no, now what? I was right to feel that and I'm sure others did too. It's really sad that RE was run out of town from what I've heard but had he stayed, I'm sure we would all be singing a different tune. Say what you will about the offensive philosophy he had, but he knew how to lead, build a program and coach up a kid. The staff he had did the same, sad we are at point now, worst off than we were 15 years ago.. I keep hoping and believing things will turn the corner but doesn't seem likely with what we have now. At the end of the day, these kids are D1 athletes with ability, it's up to the coaches on hand to develop and teach them on how to become better and put that chip on their shoulders to prove everyone wrong who ever said they couldn't play D1 football. I believe RE and his staff did just that, sad we haven't had anyone come close yet with the exception of what TJ had going near the end. I for one miss those days and hope we see it and feel it again soon...

Remember that feeling??

Bring back coach Edsall!!

Reaction Score
The staff is part of the problem. Richardson, Orlando, Foley and Hughes. Edsall is not coming back here but he had quality assistant coaches that played a big part in our success.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Why do people think that the only way to achieve moderate success is to hire Edsall? There's literally NO ONE better out there that you'd STILL want him back despite his flaws? Just the most bizarre train of thought on the Yard right now.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Why do people think that the only way to achieve moderate success is to hire Edsall? There's literally NO ONE better out there that you'd STILL want him back despite his flaws? Just the most bizarre train of thought on the Yard right now.

well, at least we were winning occasionally, that has to count for something

:)

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
The point was we were stable and respectable then, nobody can deny that despite his flaws. We certainly aren't there now.

Reaction Score

The Yard has been beaten down do bad mentally due to all the losing. If we want Edsall back, it just means we are willing to accept mediocrity. Edsall is a flawed coach. He is definitely not someone we need.

We are better off with someone like Joe Moorehead or TJ. I would take those and many others before Edsall.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
This post proves that Wacky Bob has made us all insane. The Kool-Aid tasted ok...

Reaction Score
The point was we were stable and respectable then, nobody can deny that despite his flaws. We certainly aren't there now.
We were in the Big East. That provided stability. The morons from Providence never understood the value of the football league. It was a nuisance for them. And that led t the destruction of the conference and put the UConn football program into chaos.

Reaction Score
We were in the Big East. That provided stability. The morons from Providence never understood the value of the football league. It was a nuisance for them. And that led t the destruction of the conference and put the UConn football program into chaos.

Absolutely true that the dissolution of the BE and the relegation of our program to G5 status has been catastrophic for us. The demotion to G5 has been more immediately disastrous for us than other programs who are at least in good recruiting regions and are keeping their heads above water, for now anyway.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I had questioned if Edsall could take us to "the next level" as a FBS program constantly in the top 25 but in his last 4 seasons we won 8 games every year (9 in 2007), won 2 BE titles and we're going fringe top 25 team at times.

Maybe for UConn football there is no next level? Aside from Penn State and WVU has anyone else really done much in our region?

The one thing I would say about Edsall was he had a knack for identifying talent that the recruiting services seemed to miss on. Where as Diaco sees a kid with FCS offers who's a wrestler and he hands out offers like candy.

The last point about RE is you could likely bring him back cheaper than another name coach considering the big money he made at MD.

It won't happen but I don't think it's as outlandish as people think it is.

Reaction Score
I had questioned if Edsall could take us to "the next level" as a FBS program constantly in the top 25 but in his last 4 seasons we won 8 games every year (9 in 2007), won 2 BE titles and we're going fringe top 25 team at times.

Maybe for UConn football there is no next level? Aside from Penn State and WVU has anyone else really done much in our region?

The one thing I would say about Edsall was he had a knack for identifying talent that the recruiting services seemed to miss on. Where as Diaco sees a kid with FCS offers who's a wrestler and he hands out offers like candy.

The last point about RE is you could likely bring him back cheaper than another name coach considering the big money he made at MD.

It won't happen but I don't think it's as outlandish as people think it is.
Problem with Edsall was he looking for his next job, immediately after 2007 and made it obvious. He is a good coach like Al Groh, and Glen Mason. Nothing special. His next job turned out exactly as predicted. He flopped, but if he chose he could have been here forever, but he obviously had no intention of that.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm 100% in favor of stable and respectable. I think there are better options to get there than going back to the Edsall well.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Problem with Edsall was he looking for his next job, immediately after 2007 and made it obvious. He is a good coach like Al Groh, and Glen Mason. Nothing special. His next job turned out exactly as predicted. He flopped, but if he chose he could have been here forever, but he obviously had no intention of that.

You're not wrong with any of that.

If it's between RE and another unknown commodity though? I'd do anything to get back to being a 7/8 win program that challenges for league titles.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My gut tells me that if RE returned here there would be similar results to what we have seen but with less personality from the HC and more public blame on the players.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the effort you put in to ask provocative questions to probe our psyches.

It wasted on me, however. I just got a bottle of Michter's Small Batch American Whiskey (1753 recipe). It is doing its magic!!!

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
The Yard has been beaten down do bad mentally due to all the losing. If we want Edsall back, it just means we are willing to accept mediocrity. Edsall is a flawed coach. He is definitely not someone we need.

We are better off with someone like Joe Moorehead or TJ. I would take those and many others before Edsall.
I'd take them too

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
I'm 100% in favor of stable and respectable. I think there are better options to get there than going back to the Edsall well.
You'd take 7/8 wins a season and challenging for and winning league titles vs 2,3, 6 wins and being embarrassed on a regular basis the last 7 years

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You'd take 7/8 wins a season and challenging for and winning league titles vs 2,3, 6 wins and being embarrassed on a regular basis the last 7 years
Yes of course. But a) he didn't exactly leave on good terms and b) there are zero guarantees he'd have the same level of success in a non-BCS/non-P5 scenario. It's not like he set the world on fire at his last job with all those advantages. Going back to the Edsall well makes no sense for either party. There are better options for both of us.

Reaction Score
Can we let a rich person coach us for 1 game for the price of $5 million dollars. I am sure some billionaire wants to role play. Temple, BC, Tulane? Take your pick.

Reaction Score
He wouldn't have been looking if the the head Hathaway had kept his promises. Instead, Jeffie was more about lining his own pockets based on the AD P and L statement. Since he was the WORST fundraiser ever he made his nut by not paying assstants despite repeated promises to Edsall and staff. Hathaway pulled that on the staff for three years and Edsall had enough. Say what you will about the way he left being crappy and I agree but he'd been promised too much for too long by Hathaway and had reached his wits end. There's a reason Hathaway was gone seemingly immediately after Herbst showed up. The jig was up.

Reaction Score
He wouldn't have been looking if the the head Hathaway had kept his promises. Instead, Jeffie was more about lining his own pockets based on the AD P and L statement. Since he was the WORST fundraiser ever he made his nut by not paying assstants despite repeated promises to Edsall and staff. Hathaway pulled that on the staff for three years and Edsall had enough. Say what you will about the way he left being crappy and I agree but he'd been promised too much for too long by Hathaway and had reached his wits end. There's a reason Hathaway was gone seemingly immediately after Herbst showed up. The jig was up.
Ill take your word for it. Hathaway was worthless suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom