Remember Mo'ne Davis? | The Boneyard

Remember Mo'ne Davis?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
She was the pitcher for the Philly area little league team in Williamsport....the one Geno congratulated by phone which sent Vandy into a tizzy. She also was quoted as saying that she wanted to play for Geno.

She is on the cover of the Sept. 18 issue of Time magazine. Yikes! I haven't read the article yet...it will be a minor miracle if this kid grows up well-adjusted and happy.
I don't know if she is being heavily recruited in hoops.

Reaction Score
"Davis' first love remains basketball."

It is the only sport for her that realistically extends past college and the Olympics to a pro career.

She is this generation's Babe Zaharias.

UConn bound.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Mo’ne Davis: The First Girl to Pitch a Shutout and Win a Game in a Little League World Series

sounds from other sites that she's back to the diamond: this time, women's softball. well-adjusted? who is??? :)

Thanks Bags for the link to that piece on Mo'ne Davis. Who can forget the little 12 year old girl that set the sports world on its ear 3 summers ago? Her image and likeness was every where. She was on TV sports and talk shows, at ballparks throwing out first pitches, on the cover of various sports and lifestyle magazines. Everyone wanted a piece of her. She was always charming during media interviews, never appearing cocky or full of herself. She had and enjoyed her 15 minutes of fame.

No matter what she does, or where life takes her, she will always be remembered as the first girl to pitch a shutout (and win) in the little league world series. No one has done it before or since. I'm keeping track of her. She's in the class of 2019. I'm still interested to see where her athleticism takes her after high school.

Last edited by a moderator:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
She attended some of the Little League games in Williamsport this Summer and I remember the announcers focusing in on here in the stands and mentioning that she loves basketball and would still love to play at UCONN. It was quick and they didn't speak to her directly in the piece I saw.

Reaction Score
"Davis' first love remains basketball."

It is the only sport for her that realistically extends past college and the Olympics to a pro career.

She is this generation's Babe Zaharias.

UConn bound.

She has a great story but she really is not talented enough to play at an upper level D1 school let alone UConn. Honestly, her chances of having a pro career or playing in the Olympics are not realistic at all.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She has a great story but she really is not talented enough to play at an upper level D1 school let alone UConn. Honestly, her chances of having a pro career or playing in the Olympics are not realistic at all.

Sadly, I must agree. I'd love for her to prove us wrong.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I would love to see Mo'ne Davis dreams come true. She would be a wonderful Husky (UConn).

Reaction Score
To be another Zaharias she would have to be acknowledged as the best in one sport (for Zaharias it was golf) and compete in the Olympics in another (Zaharias's sport was javelin, I believe). Seems highly unlikely.

Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So she won't play for her high school team. Sounds like a big, big mistake.
Not really. Mone' is a great academic school, the basketball there is dreadful. This was definitely the right decision.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Coco: have you seen her play in person....or seen sufficient tape to give us a sense of her game?
Maybe a player comparison?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
To be another Zaharias she would have to be acknowledged as the best in one sport (for Zaharias it was golf) and compete in the Olympics in another (Zaharias's sport was javelin, I believe). Seems highly unlikely.

Zaharias was one of only three American athletes to be enshrined in 2 Hall of Fames ...along with Jimmy Brown (Football, Lacrosse) and our own late and lamented Olde Coach (skiing and water skiing).
He was (proudly) the source of that factoid.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco: have you seen her play in person....or seen sufficient tape to give us a sense of her game?
I did seen her workout/scrimmage over the summer. Not to completely give away my sources but per my sources "she will play DI basketball if that's what she want's to do at Mid-Tier DI". Hofstra, Seton Hall, Delaware and many others were at the same workout I attended. Syracuse was also at the work out but they were looking at a top 100 type player. Skills wise she is not comparable to anyone who has played at UCONN. She smooth, controlled but not explosively athletic and doesn't have that top gear required of top tier DI point guards. Somewhere along the line though she is going to have to quickly learn to run an offense as the PG to get to second options and simple things like resetting the offense after offensive rebounds. Defensively she seems to have all the tools but has a hard time getting engaged and seems to be too comfortable away from the action near the ball. She is quick enough to help, double team or trap but did none of this.

Reaction Score

I have seen some tape on her and IMHO she is a low level D1 prospect right now. However, I read a break down on her by ESPNW recruiting analyst Dan Olson who felt that she had a good handle with either hand and "has creative 1 on 1 skills to find the rim" but relies too heavily on this. Her perimeter game "needs work" and her jump shot is "suspect". Defensively "she's quick and agile" but "intensity is missing" as Olson watched opponents "drive by her several times". As far as being a good teammate, she "did not join her teammates in the halftime layup lines" and also "stayed on the bench during a TO while even a player on crutches hobbled to join the huddle". Not exactly a glowing endorsement by Olson and certainly not UConn material.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have seen some tape on her and IMHO she is a low level D1 prospect right now. However, I read a break down on her by ESPNW recruiting analyst Dan Olson who felt that she had a good handle with either hand and "has creative 1 on 1 skills to find the rim" but relies too heavily on this. Her perimeter game "needs work" and her jump shot is "suspect". Defensively "she's quick and agile" but "intensity is missing" as Olson watched opponents "drive by her several times". As far as being a good teammate, she "did not join her teammates in the halftime layup lines" and also "stayed on the bench during a TO while even a player on crutches hobbled to join the huddle". Not exactly a glowing endorsement by Olson and certainly not UConn material.
Dan's article was Feb of 2016. As of summer 2017 my assessment ( above) defensively is almost exactly what Dan saw. She's not UCONN material from a skills standpoint IMO-the other stuff hardly matters.

Reaction Score
Dan's article was Feb of 2016. As of summer 2017 my assessment ( above) defensively is almost exactly what Dan saw. She's not UCONN material from a skills standpoint IMO-the other stuff hardly matters.
I hope this is the last thread on Mo'ne in respect to basketball that we will see on the Uconn. After reading one of the earliest threads on this subject I did some research myself and concluded that if she applied her self and worked hard she still had a mid major ceiling. Of course there were plenty of red flags that implied otherwise.

Her parents and her rec coach really did her a disservice by not being realistic as to her potential verses her actual level of play. I think just like many posters on this site, they just were not aware of the level that competition in girls basketball had risen to. Girls played year round in both high level high school programs and summer AAU ball. You need to at least play one to get a realistic perspective of you actual skill level. She played on a really poor high school team and it wasn't until recently that she even got involved in AAU. And even then her AAU team is lower level.

I remember reading Olsons article. He was being extremely kind. Scouts never go to evaluate a player against the poor level of competition that she was facing when he evaluated her. Usually they only go to top level tournaments, state championships or at the least against highly rated teams. I believe he saw her when she was playing for her high school team in weak league play. I am sure she probably faced better competition in the summer workout/scrimmage. Still she did not take basketball seriously enough for far too long. Because of her late start she was behind technically to all the players in her class. She wanted to continue to play other sports in the summer. Basketball requires far more commitment than those other sports. This was evident by the last article that I read which stated she got tired and hit a wall before the end of her last AAU season. There is a big difference between basketball fit and baseball fit.

The area that I live in has been a high school hot bed for basketball in the last ten years. We had 3 of the top ten teams in a 5o mile area that along with the Cal Stars arguably the best AAU team in the country ( they lost only twice in two years )the last couple of years. I get to see a lot of good players and talk to their parents. I know what they go through for their sport. They play year round along with working out with personal trainers. They put in a lot of effort and it is an insult to them that anyone could believe that an a player can give half an effort and reach even close to their level. Ucon players are gleaned from the cream of a talented, very hard working and dedicated group. They are not just athletically gifted.

I heard posters say they hoped she would commit to Uconn. I heard them ask if she was invited to the USA training camps. They are only revealing their ignorance of the hard work that is required even to just get a scholarship. Most players want to play for a top level program, but most little girls also want to be Princesses. Realistically Mo'ne had about as much of a chance of playing for Uconn as most girls had of becoming Princesses. Her expectations have now been adjusted to a more realistic level. It seems, however, that the work ethic required for basketball is still a work in progress. She wasn't helped at all, but rather hindered, by all the unrealistic basketball hype that carried over from her Little League success.

Some posters have stated that she is a low level DI prospect. Well being a prospect does not mean you will be offered. She is going to have to work hard to even achieve that. To do that she needs to have her coaches and people around her quit blowing smoke at her and start being realistic as to what is required for her to even reach any DI level. Any 5'4" prospect with a suspect out side shot, needs to realize that they have to constantly hustle on both ends of the floor to even get an offer. Mean while, her AAU coach is telling her she could play for an upper level D I college program ( more smoke ) . Some AAU coaches are either delusional of self serving con artists. I have seen high school players potential ruined or at least severely diminished by such idiocy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hope this is the last thread on Mo'ne in respect to basketball that we will see on the Uconn. After reading one of the earliest threads on this subject I did some research myself and concluded that if she applied her self and worked hard she still had a mid major ceiling. Of course there were plenty of red flags that implied otherwise.

Her parents and her rec coach really did her a disservice by not being realistic as to her potential verses her actual level of play. I think just like many posters on this site, they just were not aware of the level that competition in girls basketball had risen to. Girls played year round in both high level high school programs and summer AAU ball. You need to at least play one to get a realistic perspective of you actual skill level. She played on a really poor high school team and it wasn't until recently that she even got involved in AAU. And even then her AAU team is lower level.

I remember reading Olsons article. He was being extremely kind. Scouts never go to evaluate a player against the poor level of competition that she was facing when he evaluated her. Usually they only go to top level tournaments, state championships or at the least against highly rated teams. I believe he saw her when she was playing for her high school team in weak league play. I am sure she probably faced better competition in the summer workout/scrimmage. Still she did not take basketball seriously enough for far too long. Because of her late start she was behind technically to all the players in her class. She wanted to continue to play other sports in the summer. Basketball requires far more commitment than those other sports. This was evident by the last article that I read which stated she got tired and hit a wall before the end of her last AAU season. There is a big difference between basketball fit and baseball fit.

The area that I live in has been a high school hot bed for basketball in the last ten years. We had 3 of the top ten teams in a 5o mile area that along with the Cal Stars arguably the best AAU team in the country ( they lost only twice in two years )the last couple of years. I get to see a lot of good players and talk to their parents. I know what they go through for their sport. They play year round along with working out with personal trainers. They put in a lot of effort and it is an insult to them that anyone could believe that an a player can give half an effort and reach even close to their level. Ucon players are gleaned from the cream of a talented, very hard working and dedicated group. They are not just athletically gifted.

I heard posters say they hoped she would commit to Uconn. I heard them ask if she was invited to the USA training camps. They are only revealing their ignorance of the hard work that is required even to just get a scholarship. Most players want to play for a top level program, but most little girls also want to be Princesses. Realistically Mo'ne had about as much of a chance of playing for Uconn as most girls had of becoming Princesses. Her expectations have now been adjusted to a more realistic level. It seems, however, that the work ethic required for basketball is still a work in progress. She wasn't helped at all, but rather hindered, by all the unrealistic basketball hype that carried over from her Little League success.

Some posters have stated that she is a low level DI prospect. Well being a prospect does not mean you will be offered. She is going to have to work hard to even achieve that. To do that she needs to have her coaches and people around her quit blowing smoke at her and start being realistic as to what is required for her to even reach any DI level. Any 5'4" prospect with a suspect out side shot, needs to realize that they have to constantly hustle on both ends of the floor to even get an offer. Mean while, her AAU coach is telling her she could play for an upper level D I college program ( more smoke ) . Some AAU coaches are either delusional of self serving con artists. I have seen high school players potential ruined or at least severely diminished by such idiocy.

Agreed. But some people can't let it go. Like a child star in Hollywood. Tough sledding without tough love.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom